Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: PaulJ's 530 Build

Post by terriblefire »

Did you fix the bridge ?
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
PaulJ_2.0

Post by PaulJ_2.0 »

Oh right, this could be confusing, There are two of us :)
I should have started my own build thread, that picture with the bridge isn't mine.
Attachments
IMG_20190514_094623.jpg
IMG_20190514_094623.jpg (152.25 KiB) Viewed 4753 times
PaulJ_2.0

Post by PaulJ_2.0 »

New development.
It seems the CPU failed. I'm not sure exactly how plugging in a CF could have caused it, so I will just put it down to bad luck.
I am however scared to plug in the CF incase it happens again.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

I’ve stood on those 030s by accident... never killed one yet
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
PaulJ_2.0

Post by PaulJ_2.0 »

Yeah it is a strange one, anyhow I put in a replacement CPU, installed the CF and it booted to 3.1.4
It seems terribly slow loading though, I remember reading somewhere that this is a usual issue, so I will search and apply the fix.

I think this is my first ever duff 68xxx ever and I've abused the hell out of them over the years, even had one spark with an accidental probe short :D
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

If that’s a TF530 you’re missing the int2 wire
———
PaulJ_2.0

Post by PaulJ_2.0 »

terriblefire wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 11:43 am If that’s a TF530 you’re missing the int2 wire
Yeah just after typing I noticed the wire was disconnected.
Everything seems like it's working nicely! Thanks for your hard work, it really has been a great little project and one I will get plenty of use out of.
My 500 was stock for years and it's great to see it up and running with a HDD and 030!
chue

Post by chue »

Yes a bit confusing on the 2 PaulJs. Perhaps move one of the PaulJ's build posts to a new thread?
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

So, V2 your soldering looks superb!! I'm assuming you drag soldered the CPLD's. What type of flux did you use and have you cleaned it up prior to the picture? The solder looks to be leaded? Anyway congrats on your success. :) :) :)

As a side note on my initial picture TF refers to a short which is really just the liquid flux residue I used. Verified it with microscope.
PaulJ_2.0

Post by PaulJ_2.0 »

PaulJ wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:06 pm So, V2 your soldering looks superb!! I'm assuming you drag soldered the CPLD's. What type of flux did you use and have you cleaned it up prior to the picture? The solder looks to be leaded? Anyway congrats on your success. :) :) :)
Well thank you :)
I have been SMD soldering since the early 90's so I don't really see that it's all that great to be fair. I have my own method that seems to work for me.
Firstly I clean the pcb with IPA, then I put some solder on the pads I am about to solder to and take it off with some braid. This leaves a nice surface for me to bond to. Then I tack one pin with a fine tip and then square it up and tack a pin on the opposite side. Apply a generous amount of solder and then drag solder at about 350 degrees. Now most people will tell you this is too hot, and yes it is, but its great if you are quick and smooth, as the heat makes the transfer of solder fast and fluid and (for me at least) less likely to cause a bridge. If I do get a bridge, I reapply some flux to it and give it a quick swipe with the tip. If that fails, a bit of braid and you're golden. I wouldn't recommend that kind of heat for people that might be liable to be slow though, its always best to start a little low and then work up, rather than the other way. It's not hard to cook the insides of an IC.

For solder I use Multicore: https://cpc.farnell.com/multicore-solde ... dp/SD00958 and will accept no substitute, I've used it for years. I buy crap solder for desoldering though, Silverline is great for cheap :)

Flux has to be Amtech NC559-V2

I got into using these brands when I worked for a company and they just let me order what I wanted, with no regard for expense and after trying plenty of alternatives, decided this me .

Oh and yes, flux makes a mess, so you need to clean it up, I use Servisol IPA, but I assume it's all the same though: https://cpc.farnell.com/servisol/200005 ... dp/SA00607

Of course this is not a definitive list and other brands may well be better for others, but for me they make soldering less like work.

Return to “TF530”