New Board TF536

68030 + SDRAM + IDE

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: New Board TF536

Post by terriblefire »

I'm not really motivated to have more than 64Mb. When i was designing the TF330 Rob Cranley popped round to the house for a cuppa with a Zorro II card to test on the TF534/A2000...

we chatted about boards and agreed that 32Mb would be more than enough for a 030 based Amiga. So i doubled it. I've never seen the TF330 ram available drop below 50Mb free.

The reason I dont want to give options is just because at some point in the future the 128Mb guys will have a bug that the 64Mb guys dont... etc. Then i have to figure it out.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
dalek

Post by dalek »

For the TF536 I was also hoping for an option (custom fw is fine) to limit the RAM to 16MB. I believe this is the most amount of Z3 fast that AMIX will start with. Is that doable?

64MB on board is fine with me, but as you know it doesn't matter what you put on there, people will always want twice as much.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

I've never seen AMIX. Is this grabable?

Its probably doable but it would be a "one off dont ask for support" type thing.

If you wanted to run Unix on the Amiga i guess NetBSD would be the most sensible option. But im guessing AMIX is for nostalgia etc.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
dalek

Post by dalek »

Grabable? Yes - all the info needed is at http://www.amigaunix.com/doku.php
or you just can grab my ~60mb ready to go hardfile for winuae (user root password amix): http://daleking.org/~dalek/amix.7z

It does need commodore scsi bus (e.g. A2091, A590 or A3000 motherboard controller). On a real system with a TF536 I'd probably use an A2000 and A2091. There are patches for GVP scsi controllers too. No Gayle IDE support though. But now that I think about it - don't bother for the TF536 as AMIX needs an FPU (no I'm not suggesting the card needs one or that this is a valid use case :) )

Looking forward to the TF536!

EDIT: yeah, nostalgia only :)
PaulJ_2.0

Post by PaulJ_2.0 »

TF, can you sort out a BOM thread, where people can discuss the best source of parts from the BOM?
It's quite hard to find information on what is needed and where best to purchase (yes I know there are .txt and .xls files), but these are not the best as they arent updated and almost always are not the best source. Ebay sales for example might only last a month.
Take these for example:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323821984092

With a sub forum for each card, a thread could be made for the important parts individually, helping everyone find the best parts at the best prices.
I'd suggest individual CPU, CPLD, RAM and Sockets threads, to make it less congested when looking for a specific part.

No problem if not, just an idea.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

I’m planning to do that once I’ve built the first one and got it working. Until then I don’t want people buying in advance
———
Martink1974

Post by Martink1974 »

PaulJ_2.0 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 1:18 pm TF, can you sort out a BOM thread, where people can discuss the best source of parts from the BOM?
It's quite hard to find information on what is needed and where best to purchase (yes I know there are .txt and .xls files), but these are not the best as they arent updated and almost always are not the best source. Ebay sales for example might only last a month.
Take these for example:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323821984092

With a sub forum for each card, a thread could be made for the important parts individually, helping everyone find the best parts at the best prices.
I'd suggest individual CPU, CPLD, RAM and Sockets threads, to make it less congested when looking for a specific part.

No problem if not, just an idea.

these are sockets ive used paul they were good quality , allthough not cheap

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... 2&_sacat=0

only seem to come up on ebay.com
Lynxman

Post by Lynxman »

Would it make sense to make the TF536 with an edge connector compatible with the expansion cpu socket on the Amiga 2000 instead of the standard 68000 layout? It might free up some room on the pcb and eliminate the need for an adapter, on the 2000 at least. The 500 will need an adaptor no matter what. Maybe with some trickery it could be reduced to 100x100mm PCB size if the end pins of the 2000 expansion are just extra grounds.

Just a thought.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

The TF536 is dead.
———
arkadiusz.makarenko
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by arkadiusz.makarenko »

terriblefire wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:03 pm The TF536 is dead.
;)
Attachments
A500Tantrum.gif
A500Tantrum.gif (1.39 MiB) Viewed 5054 times
Do not trust people. They are capable of greatness.
~ Stanislaw Lem

Return to “TF536”