Atari to release throwback console with classic games, joystick

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Atari to release throwback console with classic games, joystick

Post by exxos » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:24 am

What annoys me is how they insinuate they are the original Atari with claims like "we still have the wooden design".. No you dont guys.. you didn't create the 2600 woody.

4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

stephen_usher

Re: Atari to release throwback console with classic games, joystick

Post by stephen_usher » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:10 pm

Yeah. I can't remember how many companies have bought the Atari mark over the years.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.

PhilC
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by PhilC » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:42 pm

It is still something I've supported though, having been a life long Atari fan like the rest of you.

Although it does seem to be more of a linux computer than a games console so far.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.

DrF

Post by DrF » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:17 am

exxos wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:24 am
they are the original Atari
That's why I clicked, who actually knows who Atari is anymore anyway?
The rights and names must have changed hands a 100 times by now?

On a sort of good side its good that the name is still considered to have some value even after all this time.

PhilC wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:42 pm
Although it does seem to be more of a linux computer than a games console so far.
I think everyone goes the stick some chinese single board computer thing in a box with a emulator route now sadly :(

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:36 am

DrF wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:17 am
That's why I clicked, who actually knows who Atari is anymore anyway?
The rights and names must have changed hands a 100 times by now?

On a sort of good side its good that the name is still considered to have some value even after all this time.
Yeah, I mean if I brought the name Atari, does that make me Atari corp? I think everyone hates the new Atari, but they funded the thing. I mean if people were only bothered about playing games, they could just run a emulator on their PC for free instead. Atari are running a emulator on a simple Linux machine, its nothing new, and I don't see the point. So I just hope they got something good on the software side or things. Something other than a fancy GUI to select games.

The true spirit of retro for the 2600 people is collecting the old tech and cartridges. So Atari's new console doesn't really fill any gap or use in the market IMHO. Of course lots would disagree , basically all the backers. But if that console was made by some China company instead, would it have still got the backing as Atari did ? I would think not, and Atari is just a cash cow for the directors cashing in on the brand name.so I just can't get on board with "Atari" on any level.

Of course we are building the remake board. A super ST which has more power and expansion etc, something people always wanted, and yet we are pushed to get 10 people on board with the project. I think the community is just based on the 2600 stuff than the ST ranges :(
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

DrF

Post by DrF » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:22 pm

Whole situation reminds me of something, some people do that's a bit iffy, like re-registering old dissolved company names and then trading as them, there's a name in law for it "trading on previous goodwill" some people do it on purpose to make some cash then chuck it away, move on to the next one and do it all again.

I think we going to see loads more of that, what ever happened with that Coleco console mess? same thing there.
I saw a article for a new C64 flash back thing yesterday and it said it was all in a FPGA :(

I guess if you just want to play a game its perfect though, plug and go done on the cheap.

If you want a real compatible system you gonna have a bad time :(

There's quite a few clone systems that take carts for the consoles like Sega/Nintendo I seen a N64 one announced the other day, but it seems a lot of them just happen to be a emulator on a board that just so happens to have a cart slot for loading old carts.

rubber_jonnie

Post by rubber_jonnie » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:36 pm

Seems like everybody is at it these days, Konami has just announced this: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/0 ... fx-16_mini

Although to be fair to Konami, they did swallow up Hudson so do have the rights to the console and name.

Seems there are a lot of options for emulation out there these days, some actually use a SoC hardware copy of the console, which work with nearly all carts, and some simply suck out the cart data on power up,and then run an emulator, which isn't without it's problems.

The REREZ channel on Youtube is often doing reviews of these systems, it's worth a look.
Collector of old Atari things:
800XL + Ape Warp mod, 2x 1010 cassette, 1050 + Happy mod, 65XE (128k) & XC12, SIO2SD, 2600jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Atari 520ST (1Meg) + Gotek, 1040STFM + Vortex ATOnce + Gotek, 1040STF long button floppy, 4160 STE with Gotek and ROM switcher, 4160STE with 32Mhz booster, ROM switcher and CosmosEx, not to mention various bare ST boards for testing including a PAK 68/2 :)
Plus the rest..
Amiga stuff, Mac stuff, Sinclair stuff etc...
www.electronicnothingness.co.uk

stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:13 pm

DrF wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:22 pm
Whole situation reminds me of something, some people do that's a bit iffy, like re-registering old dissolved company names and then trading as them, there's a name in law for it "trading on previous goodwill" some people do it on purpose to make some cash then chuck it away, move on to the next one and do it all again.

I think we going to see loads more of that, what ever happened with that Coleco console mess? same thing there.
I saw a article for a new C64 flash back thing yesterday and it said it was all in a FPGA :(

I guess if you just want to play a game its perfect though, plug and go done on the cheap.

If you want a real compatible system you gonna have a bad time :(

There's quite a few clone systems that take carts for the consoles like Sega/Nintendo I seen a N64 one announced the other day, but it seems a lot of them just happen to be a emulator on a board that just so happens to have a cart slot for loading old carts.
Well, as long as the FPGA replicates the hardware completely then I'd say that it is a full reimplementation. After all original parts are either hard to come by now or don't exist.

The "Sinclair ZX Spectrum Next" is an FPGA re-implementation but done so in a manner which replicates the hardware to the point where it's timing cycle perfect. It also interfaces with the old hardware peripherals (and then adds functionality). It also has a case designed by the original Sinclair industrial designer, Rick Dickinson. So, dismissing something because it's now based upon an FPGA is largely throwing the baby out with the bath water.

However, I agree that throwing a Raspberry Pi into a case similarly styled to the original and then asking for lots of money is a swiz.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.