STFM case remake

The place to discuss & share your 3D models or printable parts!
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: STFM case remake

Post by Icky »

I printed out the front section before finishing off my changes as I had some suspicions there were a lot more issues than I was seeing in CAD and wanted to put this up against a rear case.

So I have found yet more problems such as angles, posts, supports and spacing and many more. This is adding to the list of work to do on these files so its going to take a lot longer to sort out.

Some examples of this are the mouse port area. The picture below shows how the port is not rounded on some of the upright sections (GREEN arrows) and the most obvious issue is the area where the cables go under and into the port area (ORANGE arrows). Look on the right (real case) and you will see the flat part angles up towards the top lip of the port. On the left you can see the cad files were just drawn straight across so it flat and stops more or less in the middle of the lip.

So the mouse port area needs a bit of CAD work. None of this is a problem to deal with its just time to work through the issues and fix :)

IMG_4161.jpg
IMG_4161.jpg (65.61 KiB) Viewed 5593 times
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

IMHO things like rounded edges and angles on the inside of the case don't really matter that much as long as the motherboard fits etc the area is there and looks pretty close to what its supposed to be anyway. So I don't think these are huge issues. We can always fix them another day if we wanted to anyway. Its what's on the outside which counts ;)
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

exxos wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:30 pm IMHO things like rounded edges and angles on the inside of the case don't really matter that much as long as the motherboard fits etc the area is there and looks pretty close to what its supposed to be anyway. So I don't think these are huge issues. We can always fix them another day if we wanted to anyway. Its what's on the outside which counts ;)
True - This is a new case anyway as if to ever get a perfect match is going to be impossible with tolerances etc.

As long as the case looks the part and as you say everything fits in and functions we should be in a good place.

It's never going to be able to fit with an existing case part, such as using one of these case bottoms with a real top as there are going to be differences let alone the colour.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

I mentioned a couple of posts ago I had printed out the last three 6th's of the sections for the bottom case. These are not in the best shape such as there e is a grill missing on the centre section and other items as I am still working on them but wanted to print out to see other issues I needed to see in the real world and not just in CAD.

Here are some pics of a fully glued together case bottom alongside a real one.

IMG_4163.jpg
IMG_4163.jpg (337.65 KiB) Viewed 5577 times
IMG_4165.jpg
IMG_4165.jpg (273.64 KiB) Viewed 5577 times
IMG_4166.jpg
IMG_4166.jpg (93.5 KiB) Viewed 5577 times
IMG_4168.jpg
IMG_4168.jpg (67.2 KiB) Viewed 5577 times
IMG_4169.jpg
IMG_4169.jpg (127.14 KiB) Viewed 5577 times
IMG_4170.jpg
IMG_4170.jpg (124.78 KiB) Viewed 5577 times
IMG_4171.jpg
IMG_4171.jpg (122.75 KiB) Viewed 5577 times
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Good work so far Icky!
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Icky wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:18 pm True - This is a new case anyway as if to ever get a perfect match is going to be impossible with tolerances etc.

As long as the case looks the part and as you say everything fits in and functions we should be in a good place.

It's never going to be able to fit with an existing case part, such as using one of these case bottoms with a real top as there are going to be differences let alone the colour.
Indeed. Its a complete new case and should be used as such. Of course there are going to be changes ultimately like removable back panel to fit other motherboards. Though mostly its aimed at the remake boards anyway. Its just a bonus it can also fit existing motherboards. Though even saying that, not all STFM cases are the same anyway.

Awesome progress just the same! We are actually heading towards a complete new super ST, motherboard and case!
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
DoG

Post by DoG »

Looks really nice!

Since you have been looking and measuring the case for some time now. Maybe you can answer this: What is the hole in the bottom back for? 19cm from the cartridge port and 4cm from the back. Drainage hole? There is a hole in the cardboard and metal screen as well but there is no set screw. I only see a soldering point. It's not plugged on the falcon case but the metal screen covers the hole. I see that you have included it in your prints as well.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

DoG wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:10 pm Looks really nice!

Since you have been looking and measuring the case for some time now. Maybe you can answer this: What is the hole in the bottom back for? 19cm from the cartridge port and 4cm from the back. Drainage hole? There is a hole in the cardboard and metal screen as well but there is no set screw. I only see a soldering point. It's not plugged on the falcon case but the metal screen covers the hole. I see that you have included it in your prints as well.
I know the hole you mean. My assumption looking at boards and the hole is that it was to allow adjusting the RF modulator from underneath without opening the case. However with different motherboard revisions and modulators the screw wasn't always in the same place. I could be wrong though.

See picture of motherboard with RF modulator screw underneath.

IMG_4176.jpg
IMG_4176.jpg (290.11 KiB) Viewed 5562 times
DoG

Post by DoG »

Ah. Of course. I don't seem to have one of these board with modulator to look at right now. I thought it had something to do with the screen since the monitor port is very close.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

The Icky 3D printer has been going all weekend on more sections of the remake case.

Have noticed the keyboard angle is 2 degrees difference. Spot the digital protractor between the case and floppy section. I was trying to measure the angle but could not find a protractor in the house, used to have one at school but that was eons ago. Got hold of this digital one and it quite a good measuring device.

IMG_4188.jpg
IMG_4188.jpg (240.12 KiB) Viewed 5509 times
IMG_4194.jpg
IMG_4194.jpg (171.94 KiB) Viewed 5509 times

Grill section was difficult to print some of the sections sprung loose whilst printing

IMG_4196.jpg
IMG_4196.jpg (111.42 KiB) Viewed 5509 times

Function keys angle is not quite right needs adjusting to allow keys to fit

IMG_4197.jpg
IMG_4197.jpg (73.18 KiB) Viewed 5509 times

It's starting to take shape but there is a long way to go.

Return to “3D MODELS”