STFM case remake

The place to discuss & share your 3D models or printable parts!
Lastic

Re: STFM case remake

Post by Lastic »

Icky wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:27 am Hi. I am not quite sure what you are trying to do based on your description.

In any case (excuse the pun) we are still working on the 3D files as although the prints look good from a far there are still issues with every section. A lot of effort and investment for the initial scans and time on modifying the issues has been made with these files and currently we are just trying to get the ST case completed.
I want to use this part only
Atari520STFM-cartside.jpg
Atari520STFM-cartside.jpg (12.35 KiB) Viewed 7315 times
of an Atari ST case as a standoff for this Midi PCB
sio2midi-v1-1_1_orig.jpg
sio2midi-v1-1_1_orig.jpg (45.82 KiB) Viewed 7315 times
to add to my 130XE , by cutting the leftside of it's topcase where there are no ports.
atari130xe_no_case.jpg
atari130xe_no_case.jpg (145.91 KiB) Viewed 7315 times
Basically I'm adding MIDI ports to my 130XE in the same spot as an Atari ST and since I only need that part I wanted to ask if you could provide me
the 3D files to print only this lefthandside top part of the bottom case since I only need the MIDI ports part.

I don't need the middle or righthand part of the bottom case.
Since your work which might I add is awesome is a close as the real deal it would suffice for my needs.
This would be a cleaner option than salvaging a complete Atari ST bottom case just to cutout a part from it.
The 3D print doesn't need to be perfect for my purposes.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Hi Lastic, the part you would need would take minutes to knock up in Fusion 3d and would likely be better suited to your needs.

If you haven't got Fusion360 then try Tinkercad, which can save files for importing into the likes of Cura.

Besides, I don't think Icky or Exxos are planning to release these files into the wild any time soon, complete or not.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

I think printing this out isn't going to be a good idea anyway... Your basically going to be hacksaw and get down to basically just the part which goes around MIDI sockets.. I think you just basically need a flat plate with holes in it more than anything ?

IMG_4016.jpg
IMG_4016.jpg (69.63 KiB) Viewed 7307 times
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PhilC wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:31 pm Hi Lastic, the part you would need would take minutes to knock up in Fusion 3d and would likely be better suited to your needs.

If you haven't got Fusion360 then try Tinkercad, which can save files for importing into the likes of Cura.

Besides, I don't think Icky or Exxos are planning to release these files into the wild any time soon, complete or not.
Fusion 360 is an excellent choice, and if you are a 'maker', then you can license the full product for free, as I have done.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Lastic

Post by Lastic »

Thanks everybody for your input, will have a look into creating the piece myself.

In the meanwhile a picture of the almost finished project, still need to add midi ports on the lefthandside and will probably create a bezel
to go around the opening on the righthandside.

IMG_4519.JPG
IMG_4519.JPG (264.75 KiB) Viewed 7272 times
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Small update nothing really to see so no pics. I am only working on the bottom part of the case at the moment.

Curent items fixed:
  • Front grill - This wasn't in the correct orientation and not all the way to the front of the case
  • Keyboard function keys slot - The angle was 53 degrees should of been 45 degrees - picture further back on this thread shows the slot not allowing the keys to fit https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... 160#p24148
  • Rear panel bottom - On a real case there is a lip on the top of the back panel which was missing so top part of case would not fit properly. This has been added, well value removed :) to allow the top case to seat nicely.
Next up and not the complete list of endless items to fix :):
  • Keyboard pillars - The ones that are there are at the incorrect sizes and need adjusting. There are around 6 missing and need adding
  • Mouse / Joystick port - The entry port underneath is not high enough and placing a cable underneath raises the case. image of this issue here - https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... 160#p24053
Once the bottom part of of the case is done from a fixing issues perspective we will then break out the back panel so that different ones can be placed in to fit different models of ST(E) boards or allow you to adapt your own for other connectors / slots.
Gunstick

Post by Gunstick »

Hi

there is a local 3D printing shop in Luxembourg. They powder print nylon. I checked some demo pieces and it seems quite solid.
I could ask them for a quote.

Georges
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

icky is building his own printer, see his blog :)
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Gunstick wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:18 pm Hi

there is a local 3D printing shop in Luxembourg. They powder print nylon. I checked some demo pieces and it seems quite solid.
I could ask them for a quote.

Georges
Hi Georges. We have looked at 3D print places to help print these cases but although they look cheap for small pieces something like this starts to mount up in price and we end up looking at £200 - £300.

Couple that with the case is not perfect yet and we need to print prototypes which would cost each time there are problems so the only direction was to build a printer big enough to print these. Well thats what I told myself and gave myself an excuse to start another project :)
exxos wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:22 pm icky is building his own printer, see his blog :)
Thread is here https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... =18&t=2086
rmahlert

Post by rmahlert »

Slowly building my own 3d Printer while learning Fusion 360. I would love to design something like the old Topper for my Falcon.

Ordered 600mm for the y axis and 500mm for the x and z.

Any progress on the ST case? I read Icky, that you printed a backplane on you new printer. (which the Panda look sweet!)

Rob
Rob
-----------------------------------------------
Falcon CT60, TT030, Mega STE, 1040 ST

Return to “3D MODELS”