Fixing up my MEGA STE

Problems with your machine in general.
Bikerbob

Re: Fixing up my MEGA STE

Post by Bikerbob »

Maeke wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:16 pm
Bikerbob wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:35 pm Thanks for the reply Icky, so the gal is like this? https://www.ebay.ca/itm/5PCS-IC-GAL16V8 ... Sw6EhUN1OR

what did you do? the 68881 or 2? they say the 8882 is improved? I am not going to be doing specific scientific work ;) so .. just looking for improved performance.

James
You can find preprogrammed gal on ebay, or complete kits. Can't give you a link sorry since i'll have only french links.
I would take a french link, I cant find any.. but its ok, I do my own programming.

James
Maeke

Post by Maeke »

Bikerbob wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:48 am
Maeke wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:16 pm You can find preprogrammed gal on ebay, or complete kits. Can't give you a link sorry since i'll have only french links.
I would take a french link, I cant find any.. but its ok, I do my own programming.

James
Well i didn't post one because all the links were expired.
If i take too long to reply, sorry my cat is sleeping on my laps.
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

Ok, continuing on with my Mega STEs

Both have new batteries for the RTC.. Does the mega STE still have a Y2K issue? Do you use a little program? aka the one that will only be good to 2019? then what do we do?

I have a Cosmos - it gets time from an npt server and changes the date.. IS that bypassing the Y2K? If I set it and the battery is good.. does it stay?

moving on..

Everything else in the machine seems to be ok, I now have TOS on one machine upgraded to 2.06 US - this will stay, the other is getting a 4mb tos chip and I am installing a 4 way tos into that one.

Floppy - not been having luck with the 1.44 - both machines have the GAL with the -02 the -02-02 controller or Ajax (1 of ea) and both have the 7th dip switch up.. (Both came to me this way) The SMD-340 I got is a bad read most of the time, the one I bought was DOA.. I have a couple of Sony MFP920 drives, I have done the SEL0 mod on one.. it works, but only as a DD drive.. I thought with everything above it was just supposed to work in the mega ste.

Anyone?
Maeke

Post by Maeke »

Bikerbob wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:27 am Ok, continuing on with my Mega STEs

Both have new batteries for the RTC.. Does the mega STE still have a Y2K issue? Do you use a little program? aka the one that will only be good to 2019? then what do we do?

I have a Cosmos - it gets time from an npt server and changes the date.. IS that bypassing the Y2K? If I set it and the battery is good.. does it stay?

moving on..

Everything else in the machine seems to be ok, I now have TOS on one machine upgraded to 2.06 US - this will stay, the other is getting a 4mb tos chip and I am installing a 4 way tos into that one.

Floppy - not been having luck with the 1.44 - both machines have the GAL with the -02 the -02-02 controller or Ajax (1 of ea) and both have the 7th dip switch up.. (Both came to me this way) The SMD-340 I got is a bad read most of the time, the one I bought was DOA.. I have a couple of Sony MFP920 drives, I have done the SEL0 mod on one.. it works, but only as a DD drive.. I thought with everything above it was just supposed to work in the mega ste.

Anyone?
check the list in the end of this link http://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/last/d ... d/main.htm
If i take too long to reply, sorry my cat is sleeping on my laps.
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

Mine is not on the list. It is a T/B63 BH955 chip.. dated 2009.

James
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Bikerbob wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:00 pm Mine is not on the list. It is a T/B63 BH955 chip.. dated 2009.
Its listed here..

https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... ?f=12&t=49

I will update my site to prevent future confusion :)
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

hmmm I just clicked the link, that was the thread I was refering to .. I just looked its not there, thats why I sent you the PM giving you the dates and the numbers so you could update.

James
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

OK, I took my time today.. re-did everything.. pulled the PALs and the controllers, cleaned and re-seated.

Checked the link SEL0 SEL1 on the MPF920.. put it back together and I am working on the one machine.. I have not tried the other yet.

SO , good to see, the 920 on the megaste works great, just with the SEL0 jumper done.

Hey Exxos, if I had a 34pin cable with the little twist in it, could I not just use that without doing the SEL0 solder job?

Just asking..
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Bikerbob wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:19 am Hey Exxos, if I had a 34pin cable with the little twist in it, could I not just use that without doing the SEL0 solder job?
Try it and let us know :)
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

Found this on Atari-Forum

Wongck, thanks a lot! I finally got it to work :) but i did'nt solder, i just twisted the cable so pin 10 from the controller went to pin 12 on the fdd and vice versa and it works like a charm :)

So I think if you have a PC cable with the 2 pin twist in it, you can use it.

I am now seeing if I can figure out how to do the media detect thing Alison did on other drives.. not so easy, the sonys I have are all black face.. I have 4 others that are creame, but teac, panasonic alps.. bummer.

James

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”