The TF536 arrives

68030 + SDRAM + IDE

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: The TF536 arrives

Post by terriblefire »

alenppc wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:20 pm I am gonna try soldering it the other way round next time. It just seemed logical to me that one would want longer pins on the bottom, but I guess I was wrong.
I agree. It’s illogical but it works better. I’ll demo on stream.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Current status with this board is: On hold indefinitely.

I'm going to post @alenppc back the board he sent me so he can enjoy the one he built. I've had too much negative feedback about the IDE interface lately to continue doing A500 development. I guess my man in the middle INT2 stunt didnt really work well.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
kludge

Post by kludge »

terriblefire wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:48 pm Current status with this board is: On hold indefinitely.

I'm going to post @alenppc back the board he sent me so he can enjoy the one he built. I've had too much negative feedback about the IDE interface lately to continue doing A500 development. I guess my man in the middle INT2 stunt didnt really work well.
I thought that the INT2 stunt worked well for the absolute majority of users? Or maybe I only skimmed the thread and missed it. Sorry to see the card getting shelved, but I guess a hobby should be fun so whatchagonnado.
A kludge is a workaround or quick-and-dirty solution that is clumsy, inelegant, inefficient, difficult to extend and hard to maintain.

My lack of focus:
[ 4 * Amiga 500 ][ Amiga 500+ ][ 2 * Amiga 600 ][ A1200 ][ Amiga 2000 w/ A2386 ][ Amiga 4000/030 w/ CyberVision 64 3D, FastLane SCSI Z3 ][ CD32 ][ VIC-20 ][ 4 * C64 Breadbin ][ 5 * C64C ][ 2 * C128 ][ C128D ][ C64 DTV ][ Mac Classic ][ Mac Classic II ][ Mac Colour Classic ]
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

kludge wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:57 pm I thought that the INT2 stunt worked well for the absolute majority of users? Or maybe I only skimmed the thread and missed it. Sorry to see the card getting shelved, but I guess a hobby should be fun so whatchagonnado.
I think it does well enough personally but the feedback is that people want long to use long IDE cables and the performance isnt good enough. A return to the old 40 pin connector that everyone petitioned me to drop has also been requested. This doesnt fit with what I want to support.

The TF536 will be back at some point but to be frank... there are plenty of A500 options out there now and I can spend my time more productively looking at how to produce CD32/A1200/A4000 accelerators. The only motivation i had with the A500 was to make the cheapest possible card so that the low end user can enjoy a great gaming experience. The features requested are not low end and there are other cards that do the job just as well already out there. I want to be adding something different rather than a "me too" option.
———
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Thanks for the update TF.

At the end of the day, it's your project, you make it what youd like, stuff the complainers.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
arkadiusz.makarenko
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by arkadiusz.makarenko »

terriblefire wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:48 pm Current status with this board is: On hold indefinitely.

Would you consider releasing tf536 on different licence (no commercial use). Just for people who are going to build it themselves without support obviously?
Do not trust people. They are capable of greatness.
~ Stanislaw Lem
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

arkadiusz.makarenko wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:22 am Would you consider releasing tf536 on different licence (no commercial use). Just for people who are going to build it themselves without support obviously?
I did that with the TF534 and I had people come onto this forum this week and accused me of screwing them over, making a quick buck (LOL) and not supporting them. I'm not going to do that again.

EDIT: the irony is that people accused me of being spiteful for not releasing the TF534 before. I simply cant win.
———
fluffyfreak

Post by fluffyfreak »

terriblefire wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:26 am EDIT: the irony is that people accused me of being spiteful for not releasing the TF534 before. I simply cant win.
This is true of anything, the phrase "haters gonna hate" is true, so you can only do what you do for yourself and those you like helping/working with.
arkadiusz.makarenko
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by arkadiusz.makarenko »

terriblefire wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:26 am
arkadiusz.makarenko wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:22 am Would you consider releasing tf536 on different licence (no commercial use). Just for people who are going to build it themselves without support obviously?
I did that with the TF534 and I had people come onto this forum this week and accused me of screwing them over, making a quick buck (LOL) and not supporting them. I'm not going to do that again.

EDIT: the irony is that people accused me of being spiteful for not releasing the TF534 before. I simply cant win.
That is the reason why we can't have nice things...

I would kindly ask to reconsider your decision in the future. :)
Do not trust people. They are capable of greatness.
~ Stanislaw Lem
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

In all honesty... I dont want this to be work. I dont want the money. I have a job... i do fine. Thats actually why i've tried to make these cheap as chips.

When people come and demand that i do things for them because they arent happy I will shut that thing down. Especially when people get snarky at me. I do this for fun. You can share if you want. So right at the moment I cant see myself coming back to the A500. But that might change.
———

Return to “TF536”