PhilCs blog / the latest things hes broken(fixed)

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
PhilC

Re: FMNs blog / the latest things hes briken(fixed)

Post by PhilC »

You guys are presuming I had s choice in the names. I'm married, what does that tell you :lol:

And yes, it was an STE which I was going to clean up and resell. 1040ste with 2mb.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PhilC wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:39 am You guys are presuming I had s choice in the names. I'm married, what does that tell you :lol:

And yes, it was an STE which I was going to clean up and resell. 1040ste with 2mb.
So you didn't even have the illusion of choice?
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:54 pm
PhilC wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:39 am You guys are presuming I had s choice in the names. I'm married, what does that tell you :lol:

You are married too arent you. :P :lol:
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PhilC wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:29 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:54 pm

You are married too arent you. :P :lol:
I am. I don't have the illusion of choice either :dizzy:
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

#AmericanGothic
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PhilC

Re: PhilCs blog / the latest things hes broken(fixed)

Post by PhilC »

Been doing a special project that involved me breaking things again lately but still on the desk was my Amiga 500+

It now has 2mb of chip ram and I've assembled myself a simple external got adaptor, which seems to work pretty well with the flash floppy drive I have.

I've just found some WB3.1 disks which I'm in the process of turning into real floppies again, thanks to an ancient copy of X-Copy pro :)

The good news is the internal drive works pretty well, as does everything else I've tried so far too to be honest. The only thing really letting this Amiga down is its rather inconsistent sun tan but a good dose of retrobrite at some point will sort that out.

Still on the Amiga todo list is to fit the new battery once it arrives. I went for a Nimh one with the same footprint as the original one. Then it's to acquire a TF accelerator of some kind. I have a 534 at the moment but it was all set up for an Atari, so may just get another at some point.

Hopefully the TF card will then get me set up with an Amiga HD. Not installed a HD on an Amiga since..... I can't remember :shock:

On the Atari front I've been fixing up a couple more STFM boards. Got myself a 512k board with Tos 1.04 in two chips, which is a first for me. SO will probably upgrade that to 1mb and sell it on. Any Takers?
Then there's the broken Atari STE I got the other day, I've now got another case. It's a 520STe case this time but as you lot know, it all fits.

Need to have a clearout of some of my STFMs but its hard to know what to part with but there's only so many Ataris I can use and the majority of them are either Test boards for Icky and expos projects or my Mega Sts, the rest don't really get used.

In other news.... These two puppies are doing their best to destroy everything. Needless to say, the geek room door stays well and truly closed :D
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

The new Amiga battery arrived today. It too longer to get the corroded lead out the board than it did to solder the new one in.

Then it took me over an hour to find some Workbebch 2 disks. WB3.1 easy to info, 2.0 not so much.

Anyway , the battery is done and the clock even remembers the time and date :lol:

Got my GBS8200s today. Will have to have a good look at these. They supposedly change Sega6, CGA rgb etc to VGA. I wonder if they will let me use my Atari 800s on the VGA. Some googling for a guide required.
IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ »

PhilC wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:41 pm Got my GBS8200s today. Will have to have a good look at these. They supposedly change Sega6, CGA rgb etc to VGA. I wonder if they will let me use my Atari 800s on the VGA. Some googling for a guide required.
Eagerly awaiting your reports on this. I currently use a Framemeister for almost everything, but it has it's shortcomings... Especially on the Amiga, the mode switching delays are really annoying.
Ingo :geek:

| Atari 1040STE@32MHz | Amiga 1200 (ACA1220) | Atari 800XL (U1MB, SIDE2) | Atari 130XL (Sophia DVI) | C64 (1541 Ultimate II, Rev3 RFMod Replacement) | TI 99/4A (F18A, 32k, FlashROM 99) | Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128 (Stereo, DivMMC) | Amstrad CPC664 (512k, M4 Wifi) | ... |
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

IngoQ wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:16 pm Eagerly awaiting your reports on this. I currently use a Framemeister for almost everything, but it has it's shortcomings... Especially on the Amiga, the mode switching delays are really annoying.
I'm waiting on some more D connectors to make up a proper lead for it. I tried the VGA adaptor lead I'm made to go straight to my NEC but that doesn't work.

Will post an update once I've done it :)
IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ »

PhilC wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:26 pm I'm waiting on some more D connectors to make up a proper lead for it. I tried the VGA adaptor lead I'm made to go straight to my NEC but that doesn't work.
Strange, it should have. I have a 1970nxp and it handled almost all the PAL modes, although not very pretty. It lacks some image adjustments, so I went back to the Framemeister. With that I went with DoublePAL in 640x512 interlaced for the Workbench. The Framemeisters deinterlacer works that flawlessly that you hardly notice any comb artefacts at all. Since the NEC is native 1280x1024, I can integer scale 640x512 to achieve almost perfect pixel mapping.

Did that just yesterday, when I wanted to play a round of Menace and ended up spending half the day adjusting display settings ;)

Looking great now, but when you launch a game or a demo it takes forever to sync, that's the main downside. I was thinking to put an Indivision in my A1200, but that would only be a solution for ONE machine ;)
Ingo :geek:

| Atari 1040STE@32MHz | Amiga 1200 (ACA1220) | Atari 800XL (U1MB, SIDE2) | Atari 130XL (Sophia DVI) | C64 (1541 Ultimate II, Rev3 RFMod Replacement) | TI 99/4A (F18A, 32k, FlashROM 99) | Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128 (Stereo, DivMMC) | Amstrad CPC664 (512k, M4 Wifi) | ... |

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”