TF360 Status

News & updates for the upcoming 68060 accelerator

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: TF360 Status

Post by terriblefire »

8 Bit Dreams wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:21 am These are just numbers shown in sysinfo, same that 0MB on TF330 are shown yet ram is present..
Ok when you are discussing performance issues please do not use SysInfo... if you can show me a video stuttering or something thats a real example. Sysinfo is rubbish.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

As Jens says, sysinfo was made to sell accelerator boards. But its actual testing abilities are really bad, especially the transfer rate speeds.

I would recommend trying something like the good old Disk Speed utility (available on aminet). Or maybe the drive speed section of the SysSpeed utility.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

SysSpeed gives me a good result.

TBH i want to write my own. I would do it if i could find an example of how to read raw disk sectors. AmigaOS is utterly horrific.

EDIT: Ok here is my half arsed attempt at a diskspeed util.

compiles with vbcc

vc -c99 +aos68k -fpu=68881 -I/opt/vbcc//NDK_3.9/Include/include_h/ -c -o testdisk.o testdisk.c

For some reason the IO requests just lock up between reads. I guess i'm missing some step.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

Quick update: got the new power supply I linked above, it works, doesn't heat at all, however my 060 is still unhappy at 75 mhz, but on the plus side now I also have a 133 crystal so will solder that soon to see if there is any improvement.

EDIT: works great at 66 Mhz on rev 6... will try rev 1 later.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

alenppc wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:24 pm EDIT: works great at 66 Mhz on rev 6... will try rev 1 later.
Yeah i think we might be pushing the decoupling at 75Mhz. Do you have multilayer caps on under the CPU?

Did you try the IDE speedup firmware yet?
———
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

I have the caps but they are 1uf... the values are petty random to be honest. Didn’t get a chance to try the ide firmware yet, I had only 20 mins before having to go get the kids. Will try it tomorrow.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

alenppc wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:22 pm I have the caps but they are 1uf... the values are petty random to be honest. Didn’t get a chance to try the ide firmware yet, I had only 20 mins before having to go get the kids. Will try it tomorrow.
No worries. I'm expecting chucky's in the post soon and then i'll send one back to supaduper.... Hopefully get to sorting out the Rev1 in the next week or two... then the fun begins. :)

Generally interested in the things that make building it a pain too.
———
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

terriblefire wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:56 pm Generally interested in the things that make building it a pain too.
I have no general complaints about the current state of the 360, it's fairly easy to build.

You have probably already thought of most of the the following, but this would be on my wishlist of things to change:

- If possible, move the ESPHEADER and the jumpers further away from the IDE connector. Right now, when the cable is plugged it overlaps the space, so you technically can't use both at the same time.
IMG_8651.png
IMG_8651.png (415.03 KiB) Viewed 4089 times
- If possible, reduce at least one of the CPLDs to a cheaper version.

- Add .7mm to the edge connector which will make it a LOT easier to hand-bevel as we tried with the 330 (I couldn't get anywhere with JLCPCB, they keep not doing it).

- Finally, change the regulator footprint for one that matches the standard DC-DC converters with 3 leads spaced at 2.54mm and the VIN GND VO pinout
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

alenppc wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:34 pm I have no general complaints about the current state of the 360, it's fairly easy to build.

You have probably already thought of most of the the following, but this would be on my wishlist of things to change:

- If possible, move the ESPHEADER and the jumpers further away from the IDE connector. Right now, when the cable is plugged it overlaps the space, so you technically can't use both at the same time.

IMG_8651.png
Yeah this is on the list. I think the ESP will turn through 90 degrees.

- If possible, reduce at least one of the CPLDs to a cheaper version.
Unsure if this is possible but i'll try and I agree. they're expensive things. For the first version i just gave myself all the room possible.

- Add .7mm to the edge connector which will make it a LOT easier to hand-bevel as we tried with the 330 (I couldn't get anywhere with JLCPCB, they keep not doing it).
This was done i think for the 360... But JLCPCB made such an arse of the TF360 prototype im not sure i'll ever use them again.
- Finally, change the regulator footprint for one that matches the standard DC-DC converters with 3 leads spaced at 2.54mm and the VIN GND VO pinout
Yeah i had no idea what id use on this board so i left a big set of pads.
———
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

terriblefire wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:09 pm

This was done i think for the 360... But JLCPCB made such an arse of the TF360 prototype im not sure i'll ever use them again.
Usually when you add it they leave a strip of plastic without the gold contacts which wasn't on the one you sent me, but regardless this is really the biggest issue with JLCPCB. On the other hand the boards don't present issues like they do with PCBWay.

I have also used Elecrow and they are also very good, so I could recommend trying them, maybe they will finally bevel them.

Return to “TF360”