A new riser?

Help & news on accelerators from TF, Amiga, Atari, CD32 etc

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Posts: 1507
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:56 pm
Location: Glasgow, UK
Contact:

Re: A new riser?

Post by terriblefire » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:09 pm

alenppc wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:04 pm
IMHO, the one thing we need to keep from Kipper's riser is the 23-pin RGB port. Why? Because every single Amiga Scart cable is designed for it + it lets you use external scandoublers and commodore CRT monitors. With the rest go nuts... :D The only other feature I'd be interested in besides the keyboard would be an RTC.
Yeah the 23 pin is staying.
———
I get cranky when asked to repeat myself.

User avatar
8 Bit Dreams
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Posts: 432
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:12 am
Location: Germany

Re: A new riser?

Post by 8 Bit Dreams » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:20 pm

Guys, you have forgotten that Brian opened gerber files only, not design itself, so person who will add an rtc circuit will need to redraw riser from scratch (or use Beprepared's brd from his github repository)...
Adding rtc is easy doable if it's done in smd, actually have planned to take it from Rafals A604 or PeteAU's ram expansions, only few component's are needed..

And yes, 23p connectors isn't problem still have 50x of them lying around
Retro computer repair & hardware in Germany

go0se
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:55 pm

Re: A new riser?

Post by go0se » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:37 pm

8 Bit Dreams wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:20 pm
Guys, you have forgotten that Brian opened gerber files only, not design itself, so person who will add an rtc circuit will need to redraw riser from scratch (or use Beprepared's brd from his github repository)...
Ian Stedman has an open riser design that was never fully realised, on his Github.

https://github.com/istedman/cd32_breakout

Indeed he credits it as being from a TerribleFire design? Seems like there's a lot of cross pollination in the CD32 riser world! :)

juz400
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:18 pm

Re: A new riser?

Post by juz400 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:40 pm

USB keyboard/Mouse support sounds great, wireless even better!
USB Joypad support would be very welcome,
I dont have a multi button controller for mine yet and the prices seem to be getting silly. Niche markets and availability eh?
Is Mouser the only place the risers are available from? Ive done a few orders with them in the past, fast and reliable they are.

go0se
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:55 pm

Re: A new riser?

Post by go0se » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:10 pm

juz400 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:40 pm
Is Mouser the only place the risers are available from? Ive done a few orders with them in the past, fast and reliable they are.
The 5650092-1 edge connectors are also available from Digikey, but the price is essentially the same.

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Posts: 1507
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:56 pm
Location: Glasgow, UK
Contact:

Re: A new riser?

Post by terriblefire » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:42 pm

go0se wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:37 pm
8 Bit Dreams wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:20 pm
Guys, you have forgotten that Brian opened gerber files only, not design itself, so person who will add an rtc circuit will need to redraw riser from scratch (or use Beprepared's brd from his github repository)...
Ian Stedman has an open riser design that was never fully realised, on his Github.

https://github.com/istedman/cd32_breakout

Indeed he credits it as being from a TerribleFire design? Seems like there's a lot of cross pollination in the CD32 riser world! :)
There is a basic riser that i created and Ian Advanced. I would start from scratch TBH... Doing PCB designs doesnt take me long.
———
I get cranky when asked to repeat myself.

adam
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:01 pm

Re: A new riser?

Post by adam » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:59 am

@8BitDreams what kind of adapter are you selling with TF328 and TF330?

alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Posts: 335
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:59 pm

Re: A new riser?

Post by alenppc » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:54 pm

go0se wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:10 pm
juz400 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:40 pm
Is Mouser the only place the risers are available from? Ive done a few orders with them in the past, fast and reliable they are.
The 5650092-1 edge connectors are also available from Digikey, but the price is essentially the same.
And this is new. They used to be available at Mouser only. Good to know there's an alternative now. However, these connectors are the prime example of what happens when we start buying an item. The price more than doubled compared to when we started bulding the 328, which is why I had to raise the final price...

Last time I ordered 105 of these it came to over $800 and that's no pocket change.

bprepared
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:46 pm

Re: A new riser?

Post by bprepared » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:19 pm

I have finally got around to releasing the KICAD files for the FB-32G Module on GitHub. I finished it quite some time ago, but life really got in the way.

https://github.com/Bprepared/FB-32-CD32 ... /readme.md

If anyone wants the specs for module dimensions they can be found on EAB here:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=88826

I had also started the schematics to add an RTC and Clockport in the next module iteration, but time is still pretty slim for me, so I'm happy for anyone to pick this up and run with it.

go0se
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:55 pm

Re: A new riser?

Post by go0se » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:24 pm

alenppc wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:54 pm
Last time I ordered 105 of these it came to over $800 and that's no pocket change.
105? My question is, what are you going to do with that extra connector left over at the end? :lol:

Perhaps if you guys all agree not to order any more for a month or two the algorithm will bring the price back down :)

Post Reply

Return to “Terriblefire's channel”