STFM case remake

The place to discuss & share your 3D models or printable parts!
rpineau

Re: STFM case remake

Post by rpineau »

I pointed that out too a while ago (may be not in this thread), but diy laser cut acrylic (or wood, or ...) is cheap.
The main cost is the laser cuter.
An acrylic sheet of 508 x 812.8 * 2.4 mm is $19 (50.8cm x 81.28cm x 2.4mm)
There are a lot of example for these for the Raspberry Pi. Of course for a ST this will be bigger but same principle :
https://www.2printbeta.de/images/raspi-box-web.jpg

As said, the main cost is a laser cuter than is big enough to cut the bottom part of the case as ST are not small :)
Something like the Glowforge can do 11.5″ (290 mm) by 20″ (515 mm) with a cutting depth of 13mm (that's thick :) ). So a 2.4mm acrylic sheet is not an issue.

Rodolphe
Working ones : MegaSTE (68020) / TT030 / Falcon with AB040 & Eclipse / 1040STF
Need testing : Falcon with CT2
rpineau

Post by rpineau »

I agree with Maeke.
The main cost is laser cutting is the laser cutter.
The material, as aI pointed out above, is fairly cheap.
The main hurdle is producing the SVG files for all part.
you then need some post for the mother board and floppy, ....
This allows one to get a "normal" ST case, or expand on it by modifying the top part to add slots for new devices, cards, ....
Rodolphe
Maeke

Post by Maeke »

rpineau wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:29 pm I pointed that out too a while ago (may be not in this thread), but diy laser cut acrylic (or wood, or ...) is cheap.
The main cost is the laser cuter.
An acrylic sheet of 508 x 812.8 * 2.4 mm is $19 (50.8cm x 81.28cm x 2.4mm)
There are a lot of example for these for the Raspberry Pi. Of course for a ST this will be bigger but same principle :
https://www.2printbeta.de/images/raspi-box-web.jpg

As said, the main cost is a laser cuter than is big enough to cut the bottom part of the case as ST are not small :)
Something like the Glowforge can do 11.5″ (290 mm) by 20″ (515 mm) with a cutting depth of 13mm (that's thick :) ). So a 2.4mm acrylic sheet is not an issue.

Rodolphe
Another solution is making yourself the laser cutter, this way it will be at the size you need.
If i take too long to reply, sorry my cat is sleeping on my laps.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

A quick look at 400x400x40mm is over £100. Would need it twice for top and bottom sections. That is also huge wastage. SLA is likely better option, but I don't know price of large enough printers.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
rpineau

Post by rpineau »

"400x400x40mm" Acrylic ?
I can find 508 x 812.8 x 2.4 mm acrylic sheet for $19 ..
you don't want 40mm thick acrylic, we're not drilling into it with a CNC to make the case, only cutting the walls of the case to assemble them like the Raspberry Pi case example I pointed to ( https://www.2printbeta.de/images/raspi-box-web.jpg ).

Rodolphe
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

A "kit" form case would be a much cheaper option yes, but I'm talking of total accurate clone of the case. If people wanted a kit type case, then they likely could do it themselves.

Though if a new case was being done, I would design it to fit my new motherboard layout.. but in that respect, I would just use mini atx factor and use a PC case.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
rpineau

Post by rpineau »

@Maeke, yes the diy route is probably the cheapest one.
To cut 2 to 3mm acrylic you need a CO2 laser with about 40W of power.
Also as we're talking about thin sheet of wood or acrylic, a CNC can also be used to cut the parts, cheaper than a laser cuter and less dangerous (think about fire, laser reflecting to your eyes, ... )
Rodolphe
rpineau

Post by rpineau »

exxos wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:34 pm A "kit" form case would be a much cheaper option yes, but I'm talking of total accurate clone of the case. If people wanted a kit type case, then they could do it themselves.
So you want to take a block of "plastic" and CNC it to the exact STFM/STE case specs ?
I'm not against it but I think the reason most of us want new case is because we can't fit everything we want in the current one :)
Also as the STF case (bottom and top) are not 100% flat, this would be fairly complicated to do with a CNC and would require multi-axis CNC to do a top/bottom case with its sides (and back panel) and then flip it over to do the other side.

It's all a matter of cost and laser/CNC cut acrylic/wood would give us the option to make new cases for STFM/STE/MSTE/TT to the dimension we want to add cards and what not in them.
So may be these are two different projects..

Rodolphe
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

rpineau wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:46 pm So you want to take a block of "plastic" and CNC it to the exact STFM/STE case specs ?
Nope.. laser cutting wasn't my idea. But if I did, that would be how I would do it.

CNC, if going down that route, do it in metal, then we have a injection mold done.
rpineau wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:46 pm I'm not against it but I think the reason most of us want new case is because we can't fit everything we want in the current one :)
True, it was suggested before to clone the MEGA ST case instead.
rpineau wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:46 pm So may be these are two different projects..
Indeed. If someone else wants to look into such cases then no problem by me. But then we get into issues, some want STE case, some want STFM case, some want MEGA ST case. Printing is only low cost option, but only in smaller "kit" form sections. Then its not a "classic" case anymore. Of course huge issues which ever direction the "case remake" project may go. I got the STFM designs done to investigate possibilities of making a clone.. but as I found out (no surprise) the costs are just to high. So its not going to happen.

But if we going to do a new case, then it would be better to fit my STF remake motherboard.. but in that case, I would just use a PC case and use ITX form factor or something small. But likely I won't have time to finish motherboard anytime soon anyway. Plus I don't have time to design a case.. in 2 years I hardly finished my 3D printer. So not a project I can do myself.
rpineau

Post by rpineau »

Ok I understand your intention.
So I agree that the "best" way to get new original case is the injection mold.
As for "custom new case" using either 3D print, laser cut or CNC cut, this can still be useful for people with an existing STF/STE mother board with a lot of extension that can't be closed anymore.
As for a case for the mother board remake you're working on, an ATX (or mini ATX) format is indeed probably the best option, with a custom back panel.
No easy to figure out what is the most needed/wanted .
This all makes for a good and interesting talk :)

Rodolphe.

Return to “3D MODELS”