Damage done to my STE

Problems with your machine in general.
PaulJ

Re: Damage done to my STE

Post by PaulJ »

Russ did add some flair here attempting to become Exxos's advertizing dept, not to mention numerous posts concerning all his exploits. I didn't know Russ had a bbs. Guess he wanted to be king of his own domain.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

DoG wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:07 pm Well, it's not a factory job underneath the board.
Not quite a factory job on the top either.
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

Ok, so I will have to trace these jumpers on the bottom and see what they are doing.

They are going from around where the TOS chips were.. not sure if this is some attempt at repair at what he did on the top.

Russ, well he is older and I think is gearing down. He got really upset over the SatanDisk naming thing.. he is very religious. That kind of snowballed as various peoples online ridiculed him over it.

He is not super handy, and really should NOT have been doing mods and repairs, he did everything ham fisted and with electrical tape. YIKES!

The STE I think can be repaired.

The Mega4 I got from him works - boots it has an ADspeed 16mhz in it. It also had a Viking card - which I removed because he had no Monitor for it. I dont have the ECL converter or interest in trying to figure out a -9v psu.. etc..etc.. Might be something for someone if they have the monitor. Good thread on this on Atari-forum.com

I dont think I have any 1.06 regular TOS burned.. I might have to do that. But I guess I better figureout what these wires are doing before I remove them.

James
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

Further to this.. anyone know does a trace diagram exist for the STE??

OR anyone have a really close pic of the area damaged??

My guess is those wires on the back are to repair traces that were damaged... but I have no way to know what traces would have run right by there.. do I???

Thanks

James
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

What model board is it James? I can probably post close up pics if I have the same board. Might also be worth checking on the forum as there is a section showing high res pics of a lot of atari PCBs
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
troed

Post by troed »

Well there are high res photos of both top and bottom in the mainboards section on this forum. Actual trace diagrams, no, just schematics. They're enough to be able to measure between origin and destination on ICs though.

/Troed
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

troed wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:30 pm Well there are high res photos of both top and bottom in the mainboards section on this forum. Actual trace diagrams, no, just schematics. They're enough to be able to measure between origin and destination on ICs though.

/Troed
damSTE.jpg
damSTE.jpg (375.83 KiB) Viewed 3465 times
This is the board.. the pic previous is the back.. and I think an attempted repair. Not sure if the full resolution is saved on the forum.. so its also here https://ibb.co/h7NVb2m

There looks to be several traces that have been trashed.. but I am not sure where they are going as I dont have a clean STE to follow them on.

James
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Bikerbob wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:54 am
There looks to be several traces that have been trashed.. but I am not sure where they are going as I dont have a clean STE to follow them on.
James
Hopefully you can tell where a end of a damaged trace goes. Find it on the schematic and you should be able to check all the connections with a ohm meter. Those connections that no longer exist will need a jumper.
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

PaulJ wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:26 am
Bikerbob wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:54 am
James
Hopefully you can tell where a end of a damaged trace goes. Find it on the schematic and you should be able to check all the connections with a ohm meter. Those connections that no longer exist will need a jumper.
I cannot tell.. I am going to trace out whats been done under the board.. see what traces someone was trying to fix.. and go from there.

James
derkom

Post by derkom »

Bikerbob wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:20 am I cannot tell.. I am going to trace out whats been done under the board.. see what traces someone was trying to fix.. and go from there.
This should be pretty easy to do with the schematic. I was checking these same connections myself on my own STe just the other day, when trying to diagnose a TOS switcher problem (which turned out to be I'd forgotten to hook up the floppy drive :oops:). I was looking at your photo and decided I was too confused when one of those bodges seemed to be connecting one of the address lines to ground. :mrgreen:

The TOS ROM connections are quite easy to verify because all the address and data lines connect directly to the cartridge port. Go look at the schematic and start by verifying those, at least the ones nearest the damage. Some of the others there connect to VCC and GND of course and to the W jumper blocks, which are the area that's been trashed. These are all pretty easy to trace and fix if necessary.

I'm more worried about the collateral damage. Some of those traces going to the DMA are possibly trashed, unless you're lucky and that's just a lot of flux on the board. So you should also check vs the schematic every trace on the DMA chip at least.

I've made a couple of high resolution photos for you.

Good luck!

P1030158.JPG
P1030158.JPG (83.38 KiB) Viewed 3440 times
P1030159.JPG
P1030159.JPG (94.81 KiB) Viewed 3440 times

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”