FRAK/2 not working

Problems with your machine in general.
ctirad

FRAK/2 not working

Post by ctirad »

Hi. I have complete PAK68/3+Frak/1+pupla+panther2 in one of my Megas.
With Frak/1, the setup worked perfectly well at 50Mhz, video card and Ethernet.
The I decided to replace Frak/1 by Frak/2 and the issues started to come.

My PAK (030A revision) GALs were udapted to the latest versions needed for the Frak/2 and checked that required hardware mods are in place. The Frak gals were reprogrammed (just to be sure) and the board checked as well.

The problem is that after putting all together, the PAK still does work as expected, but no FastRAM is detected. The initial memory test just completely skips FastRAM test and continues to boot. I have bunch of proven 72pin SIMM of both types EDO/FPM, so I don't think the problem si there. Also I don't think it is caused by an unstaibility or similiar cause. I also tried to replace osciallator by 32Mhz and achieved the same result.

The worse is, that after PAK upgrade I'm not able to use PAK/1 any more. The machine immeditely crashes when it comes to initial FastRAM test.

Is there some systematic todo, how to debug the Frak? I'm owner of logic analyser and digital osciloscope.
ctirad

Re: FRAK/2 not working

Post by ctirad »

OK, so I gived up the Frak2 and returned back to FRAK1 with udpated GALs and now I have perfectly working 50MHz PAK/30, FRAK1/Mach64/ETHERNET setup again.

However, It would be cool to have much more FastRAM as the full blown Mint, MyAES and high resolution is quite memory hungry.
Perhaps time for a PAK3 with CPLD+SDRAM?
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Sorry I can't help , I don't know much about that stuff.. but..

Could you benchmark with GB6 loaded in fast-ram ? Would be interesting to compare it to the current TF boards speed wise.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
frank.lukas

Post by frank.lukas »

Ask pakman for help ...
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

frank.lukas wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:00 pm Ask pakman for help ...
This! The man is the bomb, I'm here to tell you.
Welcome To DarkForce! www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS-Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 1040

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”