World's smallest acceleator card atm

Tool suggestions, soldering tips, general useful electronics knowhow.
utri007

Re: World's smallest acceleator card atm

Post by utri007 »

Vampire core has some problems, it is not created to keep up compatibility, but add new features.

Other cores are better from my point of view.
8 Bit Dreams
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by 8 Bit Dreams »

Yes, indeed, Majsta started his project from 0, it is always hard to make first steps..this isn't something ready to go, rather something to start from.. Of course caches are not working, no mmu support and many more things to optimise, yet something we can use just right now...
Retro computer hardware & repair in Germany
Cyprian

Post by Cyprian »

8 Bit Dreams wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:02 am well.. it was mentioned that this will be open-source, so if these lines are not connected - it will be possible to add them :!:
thats cool news
Lynx I / Mega ST 1 / 7800 / Portfolio / Lynx II / Jaguar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
DDD HDD / AT Speed C16 / TF536 / SDrive / PAK68/3 / Lynx Multi Card / LDW Super 2000 / XCA12 / SkunkBoard / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
http://260ste.atari.org
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Id love to be able to put BGA on my accelerators...

But people wouldn’t be able to build them.

I’ve never done BGA.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
adam

Post by adam »

terriblefire wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:42 am Id love to be able to put BGA on my accelerators...

But people wouldn’t be able to build them.
Try us:)
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

I wouldn’t be able to reliably solder a BGA.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
go0se

Post by go0se »

I spent a significant amount of time, effort and money a couple of years ago attempting to master the art of BGA work. Admittedly it was with board repairs, and dealing with significantly larger chips than those pictured on that accelerator.

The outlay for decent IR equipment that will give you accurate and repeatable temperature profiles is significant. The "Heatgun and Hotplate" approach just won't cut it when the narrow temperature ranges required can mean the difference between success and chip/board delamination.

The element of trust and guesswork that just can't be completely eliminated when working with BGA when you are unable "see" your results also didn't sit well with me.

I found the experience fairly soul destroying and ended up selling all my BGA equipment and vowed never to attempt it again, I have great respect for those who can do it but I'm not ashamed to admit that it's beyond my capabilities to achieve consistent satisfactory results.

SMT soldering on the other hand is a pleasure! :)

Return to “ELECTRONICS”