PhilCs blog / the latest things hes broken(fixed)

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
PhilC

Re: PhilCs blog / the latest things hes broken(fixed)

Post by PhilC »

I have two of the GBS8200 in case one isn't cooperating.

The Amiga guides I've seen use the 8 pin connector and don't use the Vsync but my cable does, so will make up another that works like that when the D connectors arrive.

I'm going to try it with the ST next, not that I need to as it works fine with my expos to via adaptors but should look cool on my 43" tv :lol:
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ »

PhilC wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:51 pm Iso will make up another
I have to admit that I usually buy these cables, since they are so damn cheap nowadays, that you end up paying more for the parts than the ready-made cable costs... But of course that is not always an option, especially not on a Saturday afternoon, when you absolutely have to try out the shiny new (or more likely dirty old) machine you just got ;)
Ingo :geek:

| Atari 1040STE@32MHz | Amiga 1200 (ACA1220) | Atari 800XL (U1MB, SIDE2) | Atari 130XL (Sophia DVI) | C64 (1541 Ultimate II, Rev3 RFMod Replacement) | TI 99/4A (F18A, 32k, FlashROM 99) | Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128 (Stereo, DivMMC) | Amstrad CPC664 (512k, M4 Wifi) | ... |
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Yeah, too impatient to wait for a cable.

Using this page:

http://www.retro-commodore.eu/2014/03/1 ... ter-amiga/

I set up my temporary cable to get the Amiga ip and running with the GBS8200. After one poor connection later and we've got a reasonably clear picture.

Husband duties means I dont have much time to try it tonight but here's a quick screenshot from one of my all time fave games.
20190826_172802.jpg
20190826_172802.jpg (282.84 KiB) Viewed 4390 times
I've been using it on a 15khz capable monitor for now, so not a real test but I do have a couple of 24" widescreen monitors to test it on next time.

From googling the GBS8200, it looks like you need to set brightness to full, which matches what I have to do with the other VGA adaptors on the ST that I've tried. You do this using the picture controls on the GBS.

So far it's a 7 out of 10 but remember I've just knocked up a quick cable and it's the first quick switch on.

Come back after the break for an update :lol:
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Been busy lately with work and family related stuff but the wife went away for a weekend with the girls, so I hot stuck in to fixing a few more things on my pile.

One A500 fixed ( dodgy ram) and upgraded to 1mb chip, seems to work fine now. Will need to make a few TF536 upgrades when TF releases them.

Fired up my Spectrum +3 to find out it didnt work. It had a snapped floppy drive belt, so binned that for a Gotek. Then it would get stuck at the copyright message. Turns out over the years that the clock signal into the floppy controller had rusted away. Fixed that and had to give it a quick test.

They dont make them like they used to.
20190929_124140.jpg
20190929_124140.jpg (205.48 KiB) Viewed 3824 times
Game of Mega Twins anyone?
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Ok, quick update, been very busy with work and haven't had as much time to do the geek shit as my wife would call it.

But

This week I treated myself to another old computer. Can anyone guess what it is from this photo?
20191102_151815.jpg
20191102_151815.jpg (106.63 KiB) Viewed 3638 times
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

BBC Master. :-)

All I've fixed this week is my original ZX Spectrum (originally 16K) which had a ULA fault meaning that it could only display blue, yellow and grey. I fitted a replacement (re-implemented) ULA and it's happy again. I'll have to take a look at the Interface 1 next as I this the ULA in that decided to become a heater and melted the plastic above it. I'm not sure if it's fully dead yet.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

stephen_usher wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:25 pm BBC Master. :-)

All I've fixed this week is my original ZX Spectrum (originally 16K) which had a ULA fault meaning that it could only display blue, yellow and grey. I fitted a replacement (re-implemented) ULA and it's happy again. I'll have to take a look at the Interface 1 next as I this the ULA in that decided to become a heater and melted the plastic above it. I'm not sure if it's fully dead yet.
Ah, know what you mean, one of my 48Ks had a dead ULA, I'm going to build a Harlequin for it instead.
Cosmic Puppet

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

PhilC wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:04 pm Just thought I'd open up a little topic where I post what I've been up to Atariwise, in case any of it is of use to you guys.

So to get us started, I've finally got one of my Mega STs finished. At least for now.

It started off as an ST1 but had a problem with the Ram. Turns out that someone had tried to fix the ram by putting sockets in but instead, managed to break the Ram more than they fixed it. To fix it I removed all the Ram chips and put a 4mb Marpet that I'd removed from an STFM into it.

Next was to try and get it to boot but turns out the DMA had died. Replaced DMA, this time in a socket and it finally booted.

Next was to fit the Gotek with the 3d printed bracket I found on Thingverse. will edit this as I'm not quite happy with it and want to retain some of the original floppy looks. I may just design a 3d printed fascia and glue it on.

Then in went the Mega buffer board followed by Exxos V2.2 booster, with the 16/8mhz switch at the back. May just leave it as Tos 2.06 as I'm not so much worried about compatibility and too lazy to install another toggle switch.

Then finally, I designed the little Ultrasatan mount that let's the encased Lotharek Ultrasatan sit in the expansion port, with the SD cards accessible from the rear.

What do you think?
20190224_165116.jpg
20190224_165128.jpg
Nice work!
US Atari 520 STFM (C070523-001 REV.D1) , Exxos PSU, 4MB Marpet Upgrade, Exxos 6 Chip TOS 1.04 USA, EmuTOS 20211020, Ultrasatan, PP Driver, Original Floppy Disk Drive, NEC Multisync EA193Mi Monitor, Star LC-10c Printer, iMP C100110-001 DMA.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Cosmic Puppet wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:58 pm Nice work!
Could I make a small request and when you reply to just keep a couple of lines in the reply please ? Nobody wants to scroll past a bunch of text just to read one line, thanks :)
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Cosmic Puppet

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

Okay. Will do.
US Atari 520 STFM (C070523-001 REV.D1) , Exxos PSU, 4MB Marpet Upgrade, Exxos 6 Chip TOS 1.04 USA, EmuTOS 20211020, Ultrasatan, PP Driver, Original Floppy Disk Drive, NEC Multisync EA193Mi Monitor, Star LC-10c Printer, iMP C100110-001 DMA.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”