My Channel

Help & news on accelerators from TF, Amiga, Atari, CD32 etc

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

arkadiusz.makarenko
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: My Channel

Post by arkadiusz.makarenko »

terriblefire wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:11 am It’s my design. I have it. But I don’t have the heart to build it.
This "GPL" issue on twitter actually killed three amazing projects. Tf328->A1200, TF330->A1200 and TF360->A1200.

Which is shame as I was excited about all of them. (Plus TF536). Now I really have to buy CD32 :D

Looking at market for example in Poland newly build 8mb for A1200 cost around £70 now, only because there was competition. I guess other boards would pull prices down for accelerators as well.
Do not trust people. They are capable of greatness.
~ Stanislaw Lem
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

arkadiusz.makarenko wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:33 pm
terriblefire wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:11 am It’s my design. I have it. But I don’t have the heart to build it.
This "GPL" issue on twitter actually killed three amazing projects. Tf328->A1200, TF330->A1200 and TF360->A1200.

Which is shame as I was excited about all of them. (Plus TF536). Now I really have to buy CD32 :D

Looking at market for example in Poland newly build 8mb for A1200 cost around £70 now, only because there was competition. I guess other boards would pull prices down for accelerators as well.
It’s meant I won’t release the TF330 sources or probably ever sell the TF360. I won’t build the TF1260 or do a Tf1230.

I’d already decided not to release the TF536 for other reasons.

Planning to pack up the lab this weekend and let Mrs Leary Use it as an office. My Amiga hardware itch is scratched. I have other things I want to do with my life.

EDIT: it’s not because I’m wanting to keep anything from anyone. To complete each task above requires an effort that I’m not prepared to do now.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

You only live once, spend your free time doing what you want because most of the week you spend your time doing what you have to do to live.

Either that or win the lottery and stuff it all :lol:
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
PaulJ_2.0

Post by PaulJ_2.0 »

terriblefire wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:22 pm It’s meant I won’t release the TF330 sources or probably ever sell the TF360. I won’t build the TF1260 or do a Tf1230.

Planning to pack up the lab this weekend and let Mrs Leary Use it as an office. My Amiga hardware itch is scratched. I have other things I want to do with my life.

EDIT: it’s not because I’m wanting to keep anything from anyone. To complete each task above requires an effort that I’m not prepared to do now.
I doubt you'd find anyone with half a brain in the Amiga scene that doesn't appreciate the work you have done.
Additionally nobody can realistically give you crap for wanting to do something else with your time.

Life's too short to take shit for trying to do good.
TimNaber

Post by TimNaber »

I feel for you. I did the same thing at the beginning of the year. I was in a partnership and we built new games for the Intellivision. I wanted more time for other things, like Atari systems. So I told my partner and helped him along to ease the transition. I did not want to leave him high and dry. We are still in contact and no hard feelings. In fact I am still buying new games from him to keep up with my collection.

You do what you have to do to live the life you want to live. If someone does not understand that, they are not living life.
ST: TT030 10/32m; Falcon 030 14m(2); MSTe 4m; MST 4m(3); MST 4m AdSpeed; 1040STf 4m(4); ST 4m(2); MF 44 w/SCSI2SD(3); MF 30(3); MF30 w/Drem

8-Bit: 320XE w/Ultraspeed+/FIXXL; 320XE; 130XE w/Ultimate 1m; 600XL w/Ultimate 1m; 800XL w/Omnimon XL/Boss XL/Omniview XL; 800 w/Incognito; 800 48K; Black Box Enhanced(3); 1050 Super Archiver II; 1050 Happy(2); XF551 360K(2); XF551 720K; HD Tower 480m
arkadiusz.makarenko
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

terriblefire wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:22 pm
arkadiusz.makarenko wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:33 pm

It’s meant I won’t release the TF330 sources or probably ever sell the TF360. I won’t build the TF1260 or do a Tf1230.

Thank you for privilege to watch how you worked on Amiga hardware.
It was great to learn how to solder from your tutorials.
~ Stanislaw Lem
ed_dream

Post by ed_dream »

Twitter is not the end of life. There are many lost accounts in life. This cannot be an occasion ... I am saddened. I do not know you personally, but I watched your videos and was on streams. You do good and right things. And some nonsense so affects your life. The world of Amiga saw many projects and many had such a fate. The memory of Natami.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

There are a few factors at play here not just this idiot on twitter... but that was kinda the last straw.

I love designing and routing boards... I can do that in almost zero time. The TF1260 took about 3 days of routing to do.. great fun.

However, nowadays when a new board arrives I feel sick in my stomach. I pushed myself to build the last two TF360 versions and then started the horrible work of making the damn things run. I've had the TF360r1 up for a month and didnt want to tell anyone.

Then I spent a week in Arizona thinking why do i make hardware when i could do this in my spare time instead... and probably with the same effort i put into my boards get a Flight Instructor rating and get paid to fly.

Add to that that my wife wants to take her office and make it part of our kitchen ... she then needs somewhere to work... My kid needs me to do his homework with him because his mum doesnt speak, read or write the language they use in his school....

I'll still mooch on here and help people build their boards. I've a plan to make sure that people still get TF330s. Alenppc and superduper will get the gerbers on condition they dont distribute. I may make firmware updates for the 330 if needed. But anything that needs more than half a day effort here or there isnt gonna happen now.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
ed_dream

Post by ed_dream »

I know that you will wish for this decision. Family comes first. It is right. But the itch won't leave you.
arkadiusz.makarenko
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

We just can hope that one day you will release sources, this could allow someone to continue your work.
~ Stanislaw Lem

Return to “Terriblefire's channel”