PhilC's H4 Mongrel edition build x 3

Topic for users to share their building progress.
PaulJ

Re: PhilC's H4 Mongrel edition build x 3

Post by PaulJ »

@PhilC I'm surprised you don't have a magic solution for me. :cry: I guess my weakness here was having a lot of spares from the remake build and my ability to assume I had all the non-descript parts... Lots of 05, 06, etc used in the remake. Then Exxos slips in the 07 that totally passed me by.. :o If I could give up all these assumptions I would be miles ahead. :thumbup:
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

That was exactly my problem too Paul. You could always make an 07 with discrete components :D
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Na.. not that desperate... believe I'll run all my plugin chips through the remake to insure they work, maybe give the board a good going over with the microscope to check for any irregularities. :)
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Sounds like a plan to me Paul
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

So the first of my three boards is now assembled and metered out all ok with the pullups etc but I've yet to get it to boot into Diagrom properly.

Having a quick look and it looks like I have a couple of issues with the address bus. So once I get time, as real life keeps getting in the way, I shall meter put all the address and data lines. No doubt I've forgot to solder something as usual :lol:

Btw, for my first board, I chose to go the plcc route for glue, mmu, etc but for the next board I'll mount the smt versions of those chips, so we can get a good test of all the possible assembly options.

I've also put both a simm socket and the falcon ram headers on this board but the next two are likely to be simm only affairs.

More to come soon.
(Wish I had an LA)
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

@PhilC ,you will be happy to know I didn't use any your magic smoke. :) I'm thinking of using your plan and try a SMT glue and emu on the second board which arrived today, thanks @exxos.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

PaulJ wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:30 pm @PhilC ,you will be happy to know I didn't use any your magic smoke. :) I'm thinking of using your plan and try a SMT glue and emu on the second board which arrived today, thanks @exxos.
Oh I was only borrowing it from @rubber_jonnie anyway :lol:
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

PhilC wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:52 pm
PaulJ wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:30 pm @PhilC ,you will be happy to know I didn't use any your magic smoke. :) I'm thinking of using your plan and try a SMT glue and emu on the second board which arrived today, thanks @exxos.
I don't know if burnt skin produces magic smoke? :foldarms:
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

PhilC wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:52 pm Oh I was only borrowing it from @rubber_jonnie anyway :lol:
I was thinking RJ may want to keep his fingers away from the DAC...
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PhilC wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:52 pm
@PhilC

Dude, really!!

I'm not doing magic smoke ATM anyway, I'm just breaking stuff so it doesn't work at all :sigh:

Hence the saying "If it's broke, there's no magic smoke"
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...

Return to “MONGREL H4 USER BUILDS”