CDTV Resourced Project

Help & news on accelerators from TF, Amiga, Atari, CD32 etc

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: CDTV Resourced Project (H file to I File Converter Needed)

Post by terriblefire »

dalek wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:40 pm EDIT: those "commonly available" files also have a cdtv.i version for people to find which would probably do the job.
Note that the sources you mention do not have a real working CDTV driver in them. They dont actually talk to the CDTV hardware but create a CDTV shim layer for a cd.device which wasnt for the original CDTV. It was for the CDTV-II.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
rimmer

Re: CDTV Resourced Project

Post by rimmer »

If the source/header-files available was for the CDTV-II, could it perhaps be modified to work on a CDTV upgraded with an internal SCSI-CDROM drive?
I personally think it would make good sense to try and code a driver for the CDTV where we finally can get rid of the old drive and upgrade them with newer and better alternatives. The CDTV-II could be using a newer version of the custom CD-ROM interface, only all too common in the early stages of consumer CDROM's

A CDTV with a 12x SCSI CD-ROM and upgraded processor board. Now, wouldn't that be something?
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

rimmer wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:13 pm If the source/header-files available was for the CDTV-II, could it perhaps be modified to work on a CDTV upgraded with an internal SCSI-CDROM drive?
I personally think it would make good sense to try and code a driver for the CDTV where we finally can get rid of the old drive and upgrade them with newer and better alternatives. The CDTV-II could be using a newer version of the custom CD-ROM interface, only all too common in the early stages of consumer CDROM's

A CDTV with a 12x SCSI CD-ROM and upgraded processor board. Now, wouldn't that be something?
Really that just needs you to implement the API published in the CDTV.H which has been public for 30 years. Im sure if it was easy it would have been done. Amiga drivers are hard.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
rimmer

Post by rimmer »

I accept your challenge.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

rimmer wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:12 pm I accept your challenge.
It would make most sense to implement a cd.device for IDE cd's (or find/modify one if it already exists) and then marshall requests via cdtv.device to the new device.

Personally I think Amiga device drivers are nasty over complex things. Not a fan.
———
rimmer

Post by rimmer »

Agreed. However, we should just all keep in mind how unique the OS was for the time (start 80ies), and the original developers did a good job in my opinion, with limited hardware resources and not a lot of reference platforms/systems from which to seek inspiration. Same goes with the CD, which for many was a real first. Around the same time, I bought a Sony CDU-33a drive with pop-sled for my developer Am386 PC, complete with custom ISA interface board. Piece of c... it was.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

rimmer wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:23 pm Agreed. However, we should just all keep in mind how unique the OS was for the time (start 80ies), and the original developers did a good job in my opinion, with limited hardware resources and not a lot of reference platforms/systems from which to seek inspiration. Same goes with the CD, which for many was a real first. Around the same time, I bought a Sony CDU-33a drive with pop-sled for my developer Am386 PC, complete with custom ISA interface board. Piece of c... it was.
I really like what they did with Amiga hardware... the software i'm less of a fan of.
———
utri007

Post by utri007 »

I don't know any other attempt to fix problems. I think that it is because sources are lost?
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

utri007 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:49 pm I don't know any other attempt to fix problems. I think that it is because sources are lost?
Ok so to be clear i never tried to update the driver code. I got my CPU card to patch rom locations on the CDTV.

The code is supposed to produce an exact binary until every single part of the driver is understood and decoded.
———
utri007

Post by utri007 »

Ok so to be clear i never tried to update the driver code. I got my CPU card to patch rom locations on the CDTV.

The code is supposed to produce an exact binary until every single part of the driver is understood and decoded.
Don't worry. Could you write summary, what prevents Amiga accelerators work with CDTV.

If I have understand right, CD.device thinks that all memory all DMA capable? And tried to read / write with physical CD-drive? Same with SCSI hard drive?

Return to “Terriblefire's channel”