PaulJ's H4 Mongrel Build x 2

Topic for users to share their building progress.
PaulJ

Re: PaulJ's H4 Mongrel Build x 2

Post by PaulJ »

Just killed Bench6. Appears the machine is pretty solid. :)
Loop28.jpg
Loop28.jpg (318.9 KiB) Viewed 3397 times
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

:bravo:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Found a issue.. serial failed cart loop back test.. tried with terminal and out works as seen on the diagrom output but it doesn't take input from the terminal. Midi works fine.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

@Icky , @exxos I've got a board issue. It looks like rs232 in should go to pin 7 of the MAX238 but its now connected to pin 20 which is an output. I lifted pin 20 out of the socket and connect pin 7 and 20 together on the board and it now works.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

derkom wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:28 pm Nice work @PaulJ! There go my dreams of competition glory. :lol:

Now that you have a working system, could you do me a favour and check the resistances between video DAC pins 7 and 8, 31 and 32, and 43 and 44 (i.e. three pairs)? I suspect something is up with mine there and would like to compare. Thanks!

EDIT: Oh yeah, and can you tell me how hot your DAC is getting? Mine's hot, right around pain threshold. Wondering if that's normal.
Derkom, do you have a pinout for the STV8438? The PDF I have shows it in a dip case only. Also I'm not sure resistance will tell you much, how about some scope images?
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

derkom wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:28 pm Nice work @PaulJ! There go my dreams of competition glory. :lol:

Now that you have a working system, could you do me a favour and check the resistances between video DAC pins 7 and 8, 31 and 32, and 43 and 44 (i.e. three pairs)? I suspect something is up with mine there and would like to compare. Thanks!

EDIT: Oh yeah, and can you tell me how hot your DAC is getting? Mine's hot, right around pain threshold. Wondering if that's normal.
Found it, looks like one direction is ~5.0 megohm and reversing the meter leads is ~5.4 megohm. Your better off looking at active signals than resistance readings. :D
derkom

Post by derkom »

PaulJ wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:28 am Found it, looks like one direction is ~5.0 megohm and reversing the meter leads is ~5.4 megohm. Your better off looking at active signals than resistance readings. :D
Okay, but there are three pairs of pins, one pair associated with each of R, G, and B, and what I'm actually interested to know is whether they're different. Were your readings ~5 MΩ for all three? This is what I see on my three pairs:

MUX_B0 -> BS : 3.76 M
MUX_G0 -> BS : 55 k
MUX_R0 -> BS : 1.2 M

I agree that looking at signals is a more instructive avenue, but this was just a quick test that made me go "hmmmm".

Here is the datasheet for the QFP version of the DAC: https://www.exdwh.com/data/STV8438CV.pdf
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

PaulJ wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:54 am @Icky , @exxos I've got a board issue. It looks like rs232 in should go to pin 7 of the MAX238 but its now connected to pin 20 which is an output. I lifted pin 20 out of the socket and connect pin 7 and 20 together on the board and it now works.
Looks like I renamed the pin (where I would have had to delete the line to create a new one) and put it back on the wrong pin :(

1.JPG
1.JPG (144.45 KiB) Viewed 3365 times
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

derkom wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:28 am
PaulJ wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:28 am Found it, looks like one direction is ~5.0 megohm and reversing the meter leads is ~5.4 megohm. Your better off looking at active signals than resistance readings. :D
Okay, but there are three pairs of pins, one pair associated with each of R, G, and B, and what I'm actually interested to know is whether they're different. Were your readings ~5 MΩ for all three? This is what I see on my three pairs:

MUX_B0 -> BS : 3.76 M
MUX_G0 -> BS : 55 k
MUX_R0 -> BS : 1.2 M

I agree that looking at signals is a more instructive avenue, but this was just a quick test that made me go "hmmmm".

Here is the datasheet for the QFP version of the DAC: https://www.exdwh.com/data/STV8438CV.pdf
Well my measurements were all approx. the same. The outlier was 43 & 44 where I got 5.6 and 6.1 megohm. So my measurements all ranged from 5.0 to 6.1 megohm. From my experience this is pretty mush a valueless measurement. It really depends on the ohm meter making a measurement through a semiconductor. The readings are significantly different though so you will have to draw your own conclusion. Like you said you may have fried the chips. Did you use hot air or soldering iron. I used a soldering iron which I'm comfortable with. I've tried hot air and have no faith in my ability to use it. Blowing the small components away or sitting there forever cooking things. I'll stick with a iron and leaded solder. TF did an excellent video on SMT soldering techniques. I don't have the link any longer but if you as him I'm sure he could point you in the right direct. :D
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

PaulJ wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:54 am @Icky , @exxos I've got a board issue. It looks like rs232 in should go to pin 7 of the MAX238 but its now connected to pin 20 which is an output. I lifted pin 20 out of the socket and connect pin 7 and 20 together on the board and it now works.
I guess that explains why my serial dont work.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.

Return to “MONGREL H4 USER BUILDS”