How Many Left?

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
Icky
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

How Many Left?

Post by Icky » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:46 pm

So I have often wondered exactly how many of the variants of Atari ST, STE, Mega STE, TT and Falcon there are still in the world and are they still being used.

For example there is a web site in the UK that takes the governments stats on cars to show how many are left still on the roads. https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk

Having a database or info on the Atari's is not really that feasible as there are not road taxes or MoT's to trace our usage of these old machines. Even if we were to keep a list it would soon become outdated.

So here are some example questions I often think about:
  • There must be stats out there some where for example hw many of each model were actually manufactured?
  • How many Atari TT's are still working out there, ie is it 10's, 100's, 1000's?
It would be interesting to understand the footprint of our hobby world.

Cyprian

Re: How Many Left?

Post by Cyprian » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:14 pm

My ST/STE/MSTE/TT/Jag/800XL/64XE still working fine, F030 is currently dead
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Steem SSE / Aranym / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

Petari
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by Petari » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:11 am

With cars it is much easier - they are registered. Computers are not. So, we will never know those numbers, not even roughly.
We can only do wild guesses. I would say that there are still over 100000 operative Atari STs on Planet. But most of them is not used.
Some would need so called 'recap' to work well, after longer power off.
Count of STs, actively used, so like turning on min once per week in average may be about 1000-5000 .
I don't dare to guess about other models of family.
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

Icky
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by Icky » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:52 pm

Petari wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:11 am
With cars it is much easier - they are registered. Computers are not. So, we will never know those numbers, not even roughly.
We can only do wild guesses. I would say that there are still over 100000 operative Atari STs on Planet. But most of them is not used.
Some would need so called 'recap' to work well, after longer power off.
Count of STs, actively used, so like turning on min once per week in average may be about 1000-5000 .
I don't dare to guess about other models of family.
Indeed with cars its easier. There are probably countless lofts / attics that are hiding many Ataris. I had been looking for the production numbers of Ataris but didn't really find anything. There has been a database setup earlier this year by Milan Kovač for Ataris. Currently there are 116 devices on there.

http://milan.kovac.cc/atari/chipmunk/index.php