Scary SM 124 behaviour

Problems with your machine in general.
pixelpusher

Scary SM 124 behaviour

Post by pixelpusher »

Hi,

I got a SM 124 in an auction (together with a Mega ST) and that monitor
a) isn't very bright, but works on the Mega ST it came with
b) makes the picture "jump" vertically on a another Mega, esp. when there's disc access or when the blitter is heavily used
c) doesn't work on a 1040 STF - the 1040 continously reboots after a few seconds (with either a white or black screen)

Inside of the monitor I saw that the large 100uF (400V) capacitor was a little bit bulky on the top (the other capacitors looked ok, although they certainly have aged too), so I replaced it, but that didn't fix any of the issues.

Does anyone have an idea what's going on here? I find esp. b) and c) a little bit scary ...
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Scary SM 124 behaviour

Post by exxos »

pixelpusher wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:21 pm b) makes the picture "jump" vertically on a another Mega, esp. when there's disc access or when the blitter is heavily used
Disk access issues are normally bad PSU in the machine.
pixelpusher wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:21 pm c) doesn't work on a 1040 STF - the 1040 continously reboots after a few seconds (with either a white or black screen)
Maybe bad mono detect connection on the socket or plug.
pixelpusher wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:21 pm Inside of the monitor I saw that the large 100uF (400V) capacitor was a little bit bulky on the top (the other capacitors looked ok, although they certainly have aged too), so I replaced it, but that didn't fix any of the issues.
It is best to change aging mains caps, but the bulge is normally just the plastic on top warping over time.. if its a metal top and bulging then its likely about to go boom.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
pixelpusher

Re: Scary SM 124 behaviour

Post by pixelpusher »

I swapped the PSUs and checked the machines also with another SM124 and a TFT. Only this auction monitor triggers this behaviour. I'll check for cable for mono detection (I don't think that two machines suddenly have an issue with their socket - and then only when they are connected to this specific monitor)

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”