PhilCs blog / the latest things hes broken(fixed)

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
PaulJ

Re: PhilCs blog / the latest things hes broken(fixed)

Post by PaulJ »

Very cool @PhilC . When you get a analyzer with lots of capability its not as simple as the little Chinese hardware thingies. On that note I just ordered another HP digital analyzer, my third. The plugins from the first two will work in this one a HP 16700B which is the fastest of the series without a display. Its meantto work with a monitor or remotely with vnc. It will give me a 4 channel scope and 200+ digital channels. I'm still looking for a part number on the board mass lead connection to make daughter cards so I can lift a 68k or 40 pin chip and plug in one analyzer cable to access all the signals just plugging in on cable. :) :) Let me know how you make out with your Tek analyzer.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Yeah you've got that right @PaulJ with not being simple. I'm willing to bet it'll take a while just to get it set up how I want it first.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Spent an hour tonight trying to work out this new LA. Good job it's got a manual with it as I'd be struggling otherwise. I guess it's called being spoilt with modern computer technology. I'm sure a new LA like this is all singing and dancing and easy to use BUT also probably £10k to boot.

Must go read the manual.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

@PhilC , its not that the analyzer is overly complex, its that it can do a millions different things and ways to trigger. The HP has like a selection of 20 capture cards including a very nice dual channel scope card which is much better than my 200 mhm scope. If you want you can put in 5 dual channel scope cards and trigger them from conditions programmed conditions in the digital analyzer cards. Each card variety has a 300 page manual. Very capable but hard to use which is frustrating.

When I was at Motorola the hardware guys used them with the header plugs so you could easily connect up to all processor lines. When we had a issue it didn't take long before the setup got beyond my abilities so I'd tell a hardware designer what I needed and what condition to trigger on and two minutes later I'd be up and running. Unfortunately when I purchased the analyzer it doesn't have a hardware engineer taped to the side. :) Back in the day hardware engineers had priority and they were always in use unless they had a firmware issue they needed fixed. Now I can play and learn to my hearts content. Its hard to believe how cheap they are.

When you get your analyzer up and running post sample captures, maybe something @rubber_jonnie can use trouble shooting his mega. :)
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PaulJ wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:20 am @PhilC , its not that the analyzer is overly complex, its that it can do a millions different things and ways to trigger. The HP has like a selection of 20 capture cards including a very nice dual channel scope card which is much better than my 200 mhm scope. If you want you can put in 5 dual channel scope cards and trigger them from conditions programmed conditions in the digital analyzer cards. Each card variety has a 300 page manual. Very capable but hard to use which is frustrating.

When I was at Motorola the hardware guys used them with the header plugs so you could easily connect up to all processor lines. When we had a issue it didn't take long before the setup got beyond my abilities so I'd tell a hardware designer what I needed and what condition to trigger on and two minutes later I'd be up and running. Unfortunately when I purchased the analyzer it doesn't have a hardware engineer taped to the side. :) Back in the day hardware engineers had priority and they were always in use unless they had a firmware issue they needed fixed. Now I can play and learn to my hearts content. Its hard to believe how cheap they are.

When you get your analyzer up and running post sample captures, maybe something @rubber_jonnie can use trouble shooting his mega. :)
Here's some basic stuff I posted re my Mega that's not working. Using the LA was a lot easier than I expected TBH, all I did was connect to GND on the CPU, then connected the LA channels to the pins I wanted to look at. It's much more granular than the scope TBH.

https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... 140#p31288
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Thanks @rubber_jonnie that's what I've done with the usb one Icky gave me but it's more of a case of learning this new LA.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PhilC wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:16 pm Hoping there's not going to be an earthquake this side of Christmas.

20191211_211459.jpg
Looks like there maybe already was one! :lol:
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PhilC wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:09 am Thanks @rubber_jonnie that's what I've done with the usb one Icky gave me but it's more of a case of learning this new LA.
@PhilC Ahh I see, nice looking unit, looks bomb proof!

I expect the manual is not thin...
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Yeah, thin is not a word to describe this manual
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

PhilC wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:20 pm In other news, I got sent a logic analyser by @Icky which I found incredibly useful but a bit limiting with only 8 channels *not being ungrateful at all thanks Icky ). So this turned up today.
No ungratefulness taken :) - Its what started you on this LA journey :), my job is done.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”