RJ's Attempt. Maybe he's going to finish this time!

Topic for users to share their building progress.
PhilC

Re: RJ's Attempt. Maybe he's going to finish this time!

Post by PhilC »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:20 am
I have a new scope arriving this week, using my Hantek USB device and laptop is quite impractical because of my small work area, so the new one will make my life a bit easier. The Hantek was good as a starter scope, but I need better now, especially as I'm also working on the Mega 4.
What did you get? I found it difficult to fault find with the usb scope. Having to swap between that window, the pdf drawing, data sheet etc etc, also if it's a bit faster you'll also benefit.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PhilC wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:28 am
What did you get? I found it difficult to fault find with the usb scope. Having to swap between that window, the pdf drawing, data sheet etc etc, also if it's a bit faster you'll also benefit.
I've bought one of these: https://www.owon.co.uk/product-page/sds1022

Though I managed to find it about £50 cheaper by shopping around. My budget was pretty limited too, but although the bandwidth is the same, it has slightly more than double the sampling rate of the USB scope.

Swapping windows wasn't such a problem for me, as I use a small (ish) repurposed 13" laptop, plus a second display, but of course this all consumes space on your workbench, and if you add in the box for the USB scope, then it gets pretty cramped.

The other part that annoyed the hell out of me was the scope controls. Adjusting the software knobs was such a trial.

Hence my desire to get a dedicated scope, with real controls, which consumes less space on my workbench. I expect that at some point in the future I will upgrade to something with a 100Mhz sample rate, but for now I can't justify the extra cost for my hobby, since my other hobby (Shooting) is also a bit expensive.

What I really need is a better workspace, mine is in the loft room, but the roof makes it a bit cramped), so unfortunately that's a non starter at the moment, though we are planning to move house in the next year or two, and one vital element will be to find somewhere where I can set up a proper workspace.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

PhilC wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:40 am @PaulJ , nope, no time yesterday in the end. Hoping to have a but more time today but just started another major project at work again too.
Well hopefully you'll get some time to solve the issue. That pesky work always getting in the way. :)
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

My plans for this weekend seem scuppered :(

Oscilloscope hasn't turned up yet, and I've got to work later on :sigh:

Then tomorrow we've got to go see my wifes parents. Overall, disappointing.
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

@rubber_jonnie - Its not just work but life also gets in the way of our hobbies :(
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Icky wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:30 pm @rubber_jonnie - Its not just work but life also gets in the way of our hobbies :(
@Icky For sure, I'm with you there 100%
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Yep ,know that feeling too.

Was working away for a week when the board was delivered and then family life the following week.

I need a few more hours in my day I think.
IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ »

Life does that, yes.

But isn't it nice, that there is something cool waiting for us in our non-gender-specific caves? Helps you keep running :mrgreen:
Ingo :geek:

| Atari 1040STE@32MHz | Amiga 1200 (ACA1220) | Atari 800XL (U1MB, SIDE2) | Atari 130XL (Sophia DVI) | C64 (1541 Ultimate II, Rev3 RFMod Replacement) | TI 99/4A (F18A, 32k, FlashROM 99) | Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128 (Stereo, DivMMC) | Amstrad CPC664 (512k, M4 Wifi) | ... |
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

According to my wife @IngoQ my gender neutral cave is called the geek room.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

PhilC wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:19 pm According to my wife @IngoQ my gender neutral cave is called the geek room.
What is a gender neutral cave? Is that the living room? :dizzy:

Return to “MONGREL H4 USER BUILDS”