RJ's Attempt. Maybe he's going to finish this time!

Topic for users to share their building progress.
PhilC

Re: RJ's Attempt. Maybe he's going to finish this time!

Post by PhilC »

Might be worth trying Diagrom now as it could simply be a ram fault etc
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

You have got the bodge wire done under the CPU I assume ?
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

exxos wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:49 pm You have got the bodge wire done under the CPU I assume ?
I presume you mean for DTACK? I've done all the fixes here: https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... 335#p28958 bar the DMA resistor swapout, but I'm not getting that far.

It looks awfully similar to the Mega4 TBH, which is in some respects easier to troubleshoot, and in others the H4 is easier.

What I can say is that when I plug in the diag cart, the ROM LED does not illuminate during boot like on a working machine, and if I select EMUTOS on the diag cart, the LED for that does not illuminate either.

On a working machine the red ROM LED lights and boots to diags, and with EMUTOS selected both LEDs light and the blue one for EMUTOS flickers as it seems to be accessed.

It seems to me that the ROM is inacessible and can't be read, so the CPU is sitting there, probably in a halted state, but I need to check those pins to see what they're doing.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

No idea what LEDs your referring to... But if you remove the H4 CPU You can do what I suggested with your mega..
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

exxos wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:00 pm No idea what LEDs your referring to... But if you remove the H4 CPU You can do what I suggested with your mega..
On the diag cart I have it has 2 LEDs. A red one that indicates the selected ROM is being accessed, and a blue one that flickers like a drive busy light when the EMUTOS image is enabled. They are quite useful.

And yes, I'm going to try what you suggested on both the H4 and Mega. I know the Mega has a good CPU now, and that the ROMS are good too, and it also seems the CPU is driving /HALT low, not the mainboard. I've posted on the other thread about the Mega.

The H4 is behaving vary similarly though.
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:20 pm On the diag cart I have it has 2 LEDs. A red one that indicates the selected ROM is being accessed, and a blue one that flickers like a drive busy light when the EMUTOS image is enabled. They are quite useful.
It that something you added ? I was going to add them on my carts, but the LED being driven from the ROM lines just prevented the cart from booting. I didn't want to add a buffer just for that, so didn't bother.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

exxos wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:21 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:20 pm On the diag cart I have it has 2 LEDs. A red one that indicates the selected ROM is being accessed, and a blue one that flickers like a drive busy light when the EMUTOS image is enabled. They are quite useful.
It that something you added ? I was going to add them on my carts, but the LED being driven from the ROM lines just prevented the cart from booting. I didn't want to add a buffer just for that, so didn't bother.
@exxos No, at the time you didn't have your carts available, so I got one elsewhere, and it came already fitted with them. They are a useful diag tool.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Ok meanies, you know who you are,I have a plan.Well sort of.

But I'm not telling you, because you're all mean.

:sigh:

And just because.....

:girldance:
JezC

Post by JezC »

They don't mean it really.
:awwww:

We're all rooting for you to fix the H4!
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

JezC wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:35 pm They don't mean it really.
:awwww:

We're all rooting for you to fix the H4!
@JezC At least somebody is trying to be nice :)

Still no plan telling though. At least not until it's all gone sideways and I need to regroup.

Return to “MONGREL H4 USER BUILDS”