PhilCs blog / the latest things hes broken(fixed)

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
PhilC

Re: PhilCs blog / the latest things hes broken(fixed)

Post by PhilC »

Had a bit of time this afternoon to get my TF536 finished.

Of course I've had to try it on the Mongrel H4 first and on first boot, boots straight to Diagrom.

I've got to get it to test all the memory etc yet but am more than happy with that result for a first boot. In fact, the TF536 is less hassle than the TF534 was.

Now dinner and then time to break it :lol:
20200203_171625.jpg
20200203_171625.jpg (364.43 KiB) Viewed 4270 times
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

No major updates for a bit as RL getting in the way but it's all good.

Few small updates as below:

Moved the TF536 back into my Amiga 500 plus and gave it a good workout. The Amiga has been modified by removing the CPU socket and fitting some female headers. The relocator board then has male headers to go into the main board and then a 68 pin socket for the TF536 to sit in. Finished off with a nice little 3d printed support to keep the TF board in place. Pics to follow when I get time.

Next on the bench has been my Ender 3 3d printer for an upgrade. I removed the Creality motherboard and fitted a BigTree-Tech motherboard with a 3.5" colour touch screen.
Firstly I have to say that the board went in really easily, as the SKR mini E3 board uses the same pinout as the original creality board. Only problem was that the BL Touch auto bed levelling was stopping the board working when plugged in. This ended up being a case of swapping the wires round in the bl touch plug and then off it went.

Quick firmware upgrade and its left on the bench till tomorrow now, when I get to carry out a bit of test printing.

The idea of the new board was primarily aimed at increased speed and quality. The CPU on the new board is a much more powerful STM32 instead of the ATMega chip which was noticeably struggling on stuff with high detail. That and the touch screen looks fab.

Photos once I've printed my new screen bracket.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Not been much I could update you all on of late. What with work being busy thanks to a new product I've invented and me having a milestone birthday this year and all the events my wife has arranged. So much to do this year.

Anyway, I finally got the 3d printer upgraded with it's new motherboard and display.
20200311_145853.jpg
20200311_145853.jpg (398.89 KiB) Viewed 3920 times
20200311_145844.jpg
20200311_145844.jpg (368.57 KiB) Viewed 3920 times

I think this has been the most value for money upgrade for my Ender 3 so far. Not only has it made it easier to use but because the CPU is so much more powerful than the standard offering on this printer, the quality has improved immensely. The more powerful cpu apparently increases the number of microsteps per degree compared to the previous. It's now powered by an STM32, whereas before was pretty much an Arduino clone. On top of that, the extra ram on the cpu means more nice up have features.

Total cost to upgrade has been about £35 for the motherboard and touch screen.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

P.S. doing my best Mutley impression as I snigger away knowing that @Icky will be cursing me for setting off his OCD with the sideways images. :lol:
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Had a moment of boredom, do soldered a few things to my third H4 but only do I dont have to keep looking at them on my messy desk.
20200311_164019.jpg
20200311_164019.jpg (415.86 KiB) Viewed 3943 times
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

VGA :) can't remember anyone testing it or not ? Does the socket fit OK ?
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

exxos wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:44 pm VGA :) can't remember anyone testing it or not ? Does the socket fit OK ?
Yes it fits fine and works great on my other two boards. Have to lift the same pins on the DAC as well
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

PhilC wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:09 pm P.S. doing my best Mutley impression as I snigger away knowing that @Icky will be cursing me for setting off his OCD with the sideways images. :lol:
What sideways images @PhilC <snigger>
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Icky wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:03 pm
PhilC wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:09 pm P.S. doing my best Mutley impression as I snigger away knowing that @Icky will be cursing me for setting off his OCD with the sideways images. :lol:
What sideways images @PhilC <snigger>
Icky, @PhilC tends to post pictures in the same way he installs reset chips.... perpendicular to proper orientation. :dizzy:
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Got the TF536 on long term test in the A500+ and have to say I've been that impressed with it that it's now found its forever home.

Then it's just a case of waiting for the next batch of boards and I'll be happily building one for my other Mega, the H4s etc.

You cant beat running the Frontier demo fir couple of hours to give the 68030 a good work out.
20200319_180035.jpg
20200319_180035.jpg (325.28 KiB) Viewed 3699 times

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”