Projects and Stuff

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
stephen_usher

Re: Projects and Stuff

Post by stephen_usher »

I agree. On my TT I'm using Lightning + an Apple USB ethernet dongle. It's still not quick though. :-)

As for write using read, quite a few things use that. I think the old Spectre GCR cartridge used the same trick.

P.S. I do wonder if the 74LS* chips are just too slow and the faster variants are needed.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

stephen_usher wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:04 pm I agree. On my TT I'm using Lightning + an Apple USB ethernet dongle. It's still not quick though. :-)

As for write using read, quite a few things use that. I think the old Spectre GCR cartridge used the same trick.
Those were the days.. the UIP tool is not the fastest but it beats the other solutions. Its convenient. From what I've seen attempts to run a browser on an Atari is challenging at best. I might give it a go if I was ever able to land a TT. They are exceptionally rare here in the US. :( :( :(
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

They are rare everywhere. I've had mine from new.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Well been kinda bored lately so upgrades a couple of my Gotek's with display and rotary switch and have to say they are a lot more useable especially on the H4's with HD running. I use them mainly to recreate the IDE device when I blow it up. Now with the 1.44 mb capability its a lot faster process. I was able to jumper the floppy cable pin 2 on top with ease.
Gotek.png
Gotek.png (381.29 KiB) Viewed 5196 times
pin2.png
pin2.png (306.29 KiB) Viewed 5196 times
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Ok, I have finally achieved my happy configuration for the first H4. It sports an @exxos IDE board - rom, a @cmorley eprom emulator with 6 boot images so far (room for 2 more) and a functional netusbee which I have no reason why it works on this H4 and not the other.. :-o, and a maxed out Gotek that supports SD and HD floppy images. I have to say I prefer EmuTOS 9.12 with the built in shell. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

IMG_2481.jpg
IMG_2481.jpg (685.86 KiB) Viewed 5163 times
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

One word of warning here.. I had to put the original IDE board in the specific spot as shown to make other sockets available. This is not optimal location. When I installed the XTAL for the 68901 I installed it upright which will hit the bottom of the IDE card! I have several layers of tape over the top of the XTAL. Also I used an xtra 64 pin socket to get the IDE card to set above all the DMA and Floppy circuitry. :)
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Use the flashy clock for the ROM board and move the IDE board down 1 socket ?
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

exxos wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:29 pm Use the flashy clock for the ROM board and move the IDE board down 1 socket ?
Will be giving it it's forever home in the H4-2.. I may need to order another H4. :idea:
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Things slow here waiting for parts so I finally dug the 3d printer out of the box and gave it a test run just to make sure it works which it did.
3dp.jpg
3dp.jpg (147.62 KiB) Viewed 4975 times
Placing an order with Mouser today for the missing parts on the IDE 1.1 board. Tried to find the "header pins 2.0mm" and everything it showed was obsolete so tried on google with a cut and paste and it pulled up slugs of 2.0 mm headers on Mouser in stock. Mousers search capability and me don't seem to get along. Also needed the 84 pin PLCC socket and the 68 ohm resister packs.

Happy I don't use gallon's of IPA.. @rubber_jonnie are you sure your not drinking it? I hear it causes blindness so please obstain.. there's better beverages out there :coffee:

Need to get going and order 1 Inch x 1 Inch Extrusion frame material so I can get the printer inclosed.
Extrusion.png
Extrusion.png (103.98 KiB) Viewed 4975 times
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PaulJ wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:53 pm
Happy I don't use gallon's of IPA.. @rubber_jonnie are you sure your not drinking it? I hear it causes blindness so please obstain.. there's better beverages out there :coffee:
@PaulJ Nah, not drinking it, I have Jim Beam Bourbon for that.

However all the parts I'm getting from god knows where are getting an IPA wash before use, especially the PCBWay stuff I have due from China!

Other stuff is going into quarantine for 3 days to give the Coronavirus a chance to die off before I open it!!
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”