Projects and Stuff

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
PaulJ

Re: Projects and Stuff

Post by PaulJ »

czietz wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:33 pm
PaulJ wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:02 pm Noticed that the built in HD driver for EmuTOS doesn't work with the IDE board.
It works with other Falcon-compatible IDE interfaces, like the Lightning ST, for sure. But please be aware that IDE support is only included in EmuTOS ROMs 256k and bigger, not in the 192k version.
Yes, your most correct about the Lightning ST with its forever home in my mega. I was a little surprised when EmuTOS booted to HD with the Lightning's IDE interface. Wasn't aware it was a part of the image but a pleasant surprise.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

czietz wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:33 pm
PaulJ wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:02 pm Noticed that the built in HD driver for EmuTOS doesn't work with the IDE board.
It works with other Falcon-compatible IDE interfaces, like the Lightning ST, for sure. But please be aware that IDE support is only included in EmuTOS ROMs 256k and bigger, not in the 192k version.
@PaulJ can you confirm which version of EmuTOS you were using 192k or 256k.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

@Icky Its 9.12 256k.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Thanks @PaulJ. The IDE DEV V1.1 is still a dev board as we have been concentrating on Trudie V5 for IDE so it hasn't been tested with EmuTOS and built to support it.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Icky wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:19 am Thanks @PaulJ. The IDE DEV V1.1 is still a dev board as we have been concentrating on Trudie V5 for IDE so it hasn't been tested with EmuTOS and built to support it.
Ya, I didn't even realize EmuTOS had its own IDE driver which by the way is a 1300 kb instead of the 1450 kb with HDDriver. I discovered it using the eprom emulator in the MEGA with the Lightning card. I went to use HDDrivers util program and it said you need to load the driver. Figured it out after a little investigation. I do like the font EmuTOS uses. I like the new IDE board.. can put the eprom emulator in the CPU socket on the board which makes a nice short run for the EPROM decode signal. In general I usually run with TOS 2.06 and HDDriver. :thumbup:
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

I've not used EMUTOS much. I don't think anyone tested EMUTOS built in IDE driver on the V1 boards. Though There shouldn't be any reason for it not to work with EMUTOS. I decode the IDE address range as normal and of course works with HD11 etc. So maybe its a bug in EMUTOS ? @thorsten.otto ?
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

exxos wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:58 pm I've not used EMUTOS much. I don't think anyone tested EMUTOS built in IDE driver on the V1 boards. Though There shouldn't be any reason for it not to work with EMUTOS. I decode the IDE address range as normal and of course works with HD11 etc. So maybe its a bug in EMUTOS ? @thorsten.otto ?
I didn't even know it had its own driver until I ran EmuTOS with the Lightning. It does work good with the Lightning. As I said I usually run 2.06 and HDDriver 11.0 which is quite happy with the IDE 1.1 board. I can see myself switching to EnuTOS, really prefer the font it uses and it appears to have quite a bit of stuff built in. I like the shell that is a part of the 256k version.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

@Icky , I was reading some compact flash cards from when we were working on the initial IDE board and EmuTOS was able to read it. So it appears it may not be a hardware issue but a compact flash card formatting issue.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

PaulJ wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:34 pm @Icky , I was reading some compact flash cards from when we were working on the initial IDE board and EmuTOS was able to read it. So it appears it may not be a hardware issue but a compact flash card formatting issue.
Hi PaulJ - so to confirm you have booted a different CF under EmuTOS using the builtin EmuTOS driver?
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Icky wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:16 pm Hi PaulJ - so to confirm you have booted a different CF under EmuTOS using the builtin EmuTOS driver?
Yes, I've been booting 2.0 6, EmuTOS 256k, KAOS, and 1.04 with driver from Gotek.. with this card. :)

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”