TF536 on the ST

Other boosters or variants.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: TF536 on the ST

Post by exxos »

agranlund wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:06 pm One million thumbs up on that! :D
I think some accelerators have generally recommended turning off the blitter, because the CPU can do things faster if running at 50Mhz etc than blitter running 8Mhz.. even though the bltiter can access ST-RAM quicker and do some bit processing faster.. This is all still running at 8MHz. I guess it would take a lot of investigation to figure out pros and cons of all that though.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

exxos wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:13 pm
agranlund wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:06 pm One million thumbs up on that! :D
I think some accelerators have generally recommended turning off the blitter, because the CPU can do things faster if running at 50Mhz etc than blitter running 8Mhz.. even though the bltiter can access ST-RAM quicker and do some bit processing faster.. This is all still running at 8MHz. I guess it would take a lot of investigation to figure out pros and cons of all that though.
This, combined with the fact that TOS needs to be patched up to either disable the blitter completely, or try to be semi-smart about it like blitfix does.. Else the system is going to crash sooner rather than later on machines with fastram.

At least on my system, TOS206 runs a lot faster with the blitter enabled but this probably says more about TOS than anything else.. NVDI's software routines crush the blitter completely in terms of performance, especially when in fastram, as you saw in the video :)

I believe the CT60 guys solved the issue by making NVDI mandatory.
Don't know if the PAK guys patched out the blitter stuff in their custom version of TOS3 or if they generally recommend taking it out of the socket?
EmuTOS takes the safe route of disabling and hiding the blitter on all systems where it has detected fast-ram.

These are all very good options unless you really want to use the blitter for some reason..

I actually really wanted to use the blitter, when safe, because I had spent a bunch of time in making that blitter expansion for my ST.
That's really the only reason I made blitfix the way it is, else I would have either just used NVDI with the TF534 or made a much simpler blitter-disable type of thing (or more likely.. just not have the blitter physically in my machine :lol: )

TLDNR: Atari TOS + Blitter + FastRAM will crash if not using one of the workarounds - most of them involve making sure the blitter is never used.
DoG

Post by DoG »

PAK recommend deactivate and removing the blitter over 32Mhz.

PAK don't have Alt-RAM on it. You need FRAK for that. Or something else.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

just wanted to add some feedback to this thread.

I have a TF534 that works fine when used with a decoder board in one of my Mega STs. Tonight I tried a TF536 in the Mega and it refuses to boot at all. I've tried it with TOS2.06 and EmuTOS, the Mega doesn't even get as far as asserting 50hz on the monitor and refuses to reset. The same TF536 board runs great in the H4.

I do need to replace the SILs in this Mega but wondered if anyone else had had any luck with the TF536 in an original ST?
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

PhilC wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:54 pm just wanted to add some feedback to this thread.

I have a TF534 that works fine when used with a decoder board in one of my Mega STs. Tonight I tried a TF536 in the Mega and it refuses to boot at all. I've tried it with TOS2.06 and EmuTOS, the Mega doesn't even get as far as asserting 50hz on the monitor and refuses to reset. The same TF536 board runs great in the H4.

I do need to replace the SILs in this Mega but wondered if anyone else had had any luck with the TF536 in an original ST?
I can try it on the original ST tomorrow. But i have tried it before and it worked. My ST has some patches around the floppy drive but i wouldnt expect that to prevent it from booting at all.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Thanks, it may just be my Mega.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

PhilC wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:35 am Thanks, it may just be my Mega.
Megas are a pita , its why I did the mega buffer board.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

exxos wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:04 am
PhilC wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:35 am Thanks, it may just be my Mega.
Megas are a pita , its why I did the mega buffer board.
Yeah but I was just surprised that the TF534 worked but the TF536 didn't is all.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

The TF536 has 5V line driver on the data bus but not all pins are buffered.

E clock will be 3.3v for example.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

terriblefire wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:18 am The TF536 has 5V line driver on the data bus but not all pins are buffered.

E clock will be 3.3v for example.
Ok thanks for the info. The TF536 is destined for back on the H4 and the TF534 will go back into my Mega. I only use that Mega for testing stuff and for transferring stuff as its networked.

Return to “EVERYTHING ELSE”