Mega STE, explosive boot

Problems with your machine in general.
fenarinarsa

Mega STE, explosive boot

Post by fenarinarsa »

I had a bad surprise when I booted up my Mega STE this evening...

IMG_0966_small.jpg
IMG_0966_small.jpg (109.65 KiB) Viewed 5263 times

I tried to remove and replace the SIMMs and it booted, but an hour later it started to crash again.

In addition a few weeks ago I plugged it on a broadcast-grade HD CRT monitor and noticed that the video signal was not stable - it was perfect on my other regular STE. It was kind of "weavy" horizontally.

My guess is I need at least to do a full PSU recap but my experience in soldering counts in only a few hours. Any suggestions? I'm not really sure I can do a correct job even if the guide looks to be really well done.

That and I hope it's not something worse.

Any advice is welcome :)
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mega STE, explosive boot

Post by rubber_jonnie »

If you can get some Isopropyl Alcohol wipes, or just the fluid, then that will help clean any contacts up, but a re-cap may be something you should consider anyway.

If it's taking an hour to crash, it may be heat related. Not sure what fans the MSTEs have, worth checking they're running ok if it has them.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:13 pm If it's taking an hour to crash, it may be heat related. Not sure what fans the MSTEs have, worth checking they're running ok if it has them.
Just like all but the very earliest TTs, they have just the PSU fan.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
fenarinarsa

Post by fenarinarsa »

It's not heat-related, I just tried to power it on again after one full day of no use and it crashed on boot.
Steve

Post by Steve »

stephen_usher wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:09 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:13 pm If it's taking an hour to crash, it may be heat related. Not sure what fans the MSTEs have, worth checking they're running ok if it has them.
Actually I think the earliest TTs had two fans, the later models only had the PSU fan.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Steve wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:07 am
stephen_usher wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:09 pm

Actually I think the earliest TTs had two fans, the later models only had the PSU fan.
Indeed, that's what I said. :-)
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Haha I missed the `but` :)
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

fenarinarsa wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:08 am It's not heat-related, I just tried to power it on again after one full day of no use and it crashed on boot.
Yep, definitely not a heat problem then. Contacts is a good place to start, may be worth getting a magnifying glass out and having a close look at caps, just in case.

If cleaning the contacts, have you considered a SIMM swap to see if that makes a difference?
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”