WIP Atari ST ScummVM-lite

Our top picks of ST games!
agranlund

Re: WIP Atari ST ScummVM-lite

Post by agranlund »

GadgetUK164 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:17 pm
nemo wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:16 am Very nice, this actually looks better than the official Atari ST conversion!
Yeah, I thought that too about the original MI game! Being able to play MI2 and Fate of Atlantis is just icing on the cake! I wonder what other SCUMM games might be possible in the distant future (Zak McKracken maybe?)
I had a look at a longplay of MI1 on the ST and I think you're right! The reduced and dithered result from the 256color version of the game does look nicer than the original 16color version :)

I really want to add Sierra SCI1 support one day but this is somewhat of a mammoth task so I think Sam'n'Max is more likely to be added next.
It does run, but it has some extra features over DOTT which are still untouched so there is a lot of graphics glitches. All these needs porting properly for it to be playable.
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

There is a new version with the dithering stuff: http://www.happydaze.se/scummvm-lite-atari/
I think it looks really nice in all games!
Also fixes for a couple Verb display bugs at the bottom of the screen.
Indy4 is now using the same 16 colour palette as the other games again (with dithering, there is no need for custom tweaked palette)

You may not want to grab this version if you are playing Indy4 at the moment.
It's incompatible with older savegames.. I really tried to avoid it but couldn't find a way.. sorry!

Older Indy4 saves will not load at all.
It will load old saves for the other games though. I think the worst that can happen is potential colour issues on Verbs or the Inventory, you're probably going to be fine though..

Oh, and resources will re-convert for all games.
EvilFranky

Post by EvilFranky »

agranlund wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:01 am There is a new version with the dithering stuff: http://www.happydaze.se/scummvm-lite-atari/
I think it looks really nice in all games!
Also fixes for a couple Verb display bugs at the bottom of the screen.
Indy4 is now using the same 16 colour palette as the other games again (with dithering, there is no need for custom tweaked palette)

You may not want to grab this version if you are playing Indy4 at the moment.
It's incompatible with older savegames.. I really tried to avoid it but couldn't find a way.. sorry!

Older Indy4 saves will not load at all.
It will load old saves for the other games though. I think the worst that can happen is potential colour issues on Verbs or the Inventory, you're probably going to be fine though..

Oh, and resources will re-convert for all games.
Yeah this is really bloody good!

Tried MI2 this morning using that STEEM-CRT emulator to give it an authentic retro look and it looks great. That DawnBringer palette is a nice compromise to the (massive) work that would be required to manually adjust the palette for each scene. No doubt there could be some slight improvements doing that, but this is really really good :mrgreen:

ST owners would have been very happy to see this released in 1991, thanks so much for bringing this to the scene :mrgreen:
GadgetUK164

Post by GadgetUK164 »

Been playing the latest build - I noticed a crash again at the point of "Wo ist Fritz?", but I skipped past that part and everything from that point worked fine. Just been to the Azores and at Tikal now. I got past the rodent without issue (someone asked me if I could get past that bit earlier as they had problems there - I can confirm that part works fine for me). Will continue playing, the new dithering looks awesome!!!!

EDIT: Just played up to Algiers! All fine and looking and sounding sweet!
My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/GadgetUK164
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

GadgetUK164 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:52 pm Been playing the latest build - I noticed a crash again at the point of "Wo ist Fritz?", but I skipped past that part and everything from that point worked fine. Just been to the Azores and at Tikal now. I got past the rodent without issue (someone asked me if I could get past that bit earlier as they had problems there - I can confirm that part works fine for me). Will continue playing, the new dithering looks awesome!!!!
EDIT: Just played up to Algiers! All fine and looking and sounding sweet!
Nice!! Thanks :)
Wonder what is up with that "Wo ist Fritz" scene. It does load in a bunch sprite and sound data at that point so I'm suspecting it's related to that.
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

@nemo would you have time to check this build at some point?
ScummST_2000706_DmaTest

The DMA stuff is much more similar to the earlier versions that did work on your Falcon.
There are two alternative versions in there, they both work exactly the same except that the "b" version will attempt to init the sound system the same way as FPATCH (which I assume is not going to be needed on your machine. But still, unless it messes anything up then I think it doesn't hurt having it in there for the machines that needs it)

Of course, anyone with a Falcon is also extremely welcome to try it and let me know if the sound works.
And anyone with an STE or TT as well, just in case this breaks anything on that machine.
I guess I'm saying I appreciate feedback on the sound changes on any machine really.

I'm a bit paranoid about the DMA stuff since I only have Hatari to test it with. It appears to work on both STE and Falcon in the emulator but you never really know with the real thing :lol:
GadgetUK164

Post by GadgetUK164 »

Just playing FOA further, I noticed in Monte Carlo the light in the room doesn't go out at the point you switch the breaker. Presumed normally some masking is done over some of the screen to make it look dark when the lights go out?
My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/GadgetUK164
tjam

Post by tjam »

agranlund wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:40 pm Of course, anyone with a Falcon is also extremely welcome to try it and let me know if the sound works.
And anyone with an STE or TT as well, just in case this breaks anything on that machine.
I guess I'm saying I appreciate feedback on the sound changes on any machine really.

I'm a bit paranoid about the DMA stuff since I only have Hatari to test it with. It appears to work on both STE and Falcon in the emulator but you never really know with the real thing :lol:
Great work :bravo:
I just ran quick test with stock 030 mode and ct60 for "a" and "b" versions and they both work with DMA speech 8-) I also tested "a" version with Mint, but keyboard control is not working within game (sound selection still works though).
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

GadgetUK164 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:45 pm Just playing FOA further, I noticed in Monte Carlo the light in the room doesn't go out at the point you switch the breaker. Presumed normally some masking is done over some of the screen to make it look dark when the lights go out?
That could be it, or perhaps palette manipulation. Do you by any chance have a savefile somewhere close to that area that I can have? :)
nemo

Post by nemo »

agranlund wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:40 pm @nemo would you have time to check this build at some point?
ScummST_2000706_DmaTest
What tjam said. Both a and b versions work fine! And better than before. :D In the early builds voice in Indy 4 was sometimes cut off a bit too early. Now it's fine. Same with the Ultimate Talkie versions and DOTT. 8-)

Some general feedback for the latest (non-test) version:
- Something's broken running from MagiC now. The games all crash with 2 bombs now.
- The dithered graphics work great in MI2 and Indy 4.
- DOTT looks nice dithered as well. Though I thought the previous nearest color version actually matched the flat shaded comic style a bit better. But this again comes down to personal taste and preference. I'm perfectly happy with the way it is now as well.
- MI1 is a tough one. But this is true with or without dithering. Those night scenes easily loose some detail or distinction. The cloud in the title screen blends with the background. The "SCUMM BAR" sign disappeared. Sometimes an important object also merges with the background like the rubber chicken at the voodoo lady. But to be honest, I'm also overly picky here, as MI1 is my all time favorite adventure game. :) Will really enjoy playing through this one with speech on my Falcon soon anyway! :P

Return to “GAME ZONE”