WD1772-0202 - overheats at 16MHz

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: WD1772-0202 - overheats at 16MHz

Post by exxos »

stephen_usher wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:06 pm Hehe. Brad tried to dissuade me from buying most of what I wanted and refused to sell me a mylar TT keyboard map. I did get the TOS 3.06, TT power supply and, in the end, the Ajax chip and 1.44MB drive. I had to persuade him that I knew that it was not guaranteed to work and I wouldn't blame him or ask for the money back.

He's also stuck in the mid-90s, both his HTML 1.0 web site and the publicity material he sends in with the purchases.
I tried to buy "bulk" stuff from him in the past, says he has them, then next moment says he hasn't got any. I get the impression he doesn't want anyone else stocking what hes selling :shrug: I mean if I wanted to buy 100 of something, which he says hes got, he wouldn't sell them when I come to pay for them. Makes no sense, easy to sell a job lot in one package than selling individually 100 times. So not sure what's going on there. He doesn't do "bulk discount" either. He could be just trying to prevent one person having and selling items, that would make some sense, but only if he was running out of stuff. I mean if he had huge boxes full of stuff, you think he be glad to shift in a job lot, but never seems the case to me. Just find it all very annoying :roll:

Yeah his website is terrible, people have offered to do him a new one for free over the years, and mostly theres a thread each year about it all somewhere.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
troed

Post by troed »

exxos wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:29 pm I would assume the MSTE stays in 1.44 mode (16mhz) until you access a 720K floppy again.. I guess you could format a 1.44, swap to a 720k read the disk.. leave it for a hour.. then try a 1.44 again.. would assume it would work ok in that test.
Yeah I had the same thinking, so I did, but it didn't :D Actually it confuses me a bit, so I'm leaving the door open for something else to be the issue here but I have really no idea what it could be then.

Will find time to extract my exxos-16MHz-approved 1772 from one of the other machines on Wednesday ;)

/Troed
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

troed wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:41 pm Yeah I had the same thinking, so I did, but it didn't :D Actually it confuses me a bit, so I'm leaving the door open for something else to be the issue here but I have really no idea what it could be then.
You can send me your 1772s for testing if it helps... can soon tell you how reliable they are at 16mhz.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
troed

Post by troed »

Right, so the conclusion to this is that as I originally thought the WD1772-0202 as well as the VL1772 I tested with both did not work at 16MHz for longer than approx. the duration of formatting and writing to a disk.

A WD1772-0202 tested to work at 16MHz (from exxos) has no issues, after having stresstested it for a while constantly formatting and copying.

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”