Stuff and Things.

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Stuff and Things.

Post by exxos »

Yeah. I've always seen a thermal cutout bolted onto the element.. Unless its has gone faulty or just simply does not have one :shrug: Even so, the heater should not be operating without the water pump or something running anyway :roll:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Was on the drying cycle I think, then thermal runaway. Dishes were nice and dry though.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

I tbink in domestic elements there used to be a thermal trip built into the mounting flange, thats probably died dur yo heat? :lol:

Just consider yourself lucky that you don't have 300kws worth of heating elements to worry about, when they go bang it can get interesting.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

It wasn't a Whirlpool dishwasher was it? I seem to remember a recall for those a number of years ago.

Of course, Hotpoint washer/dryer machines are now well known for bursting into flames too.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PhilC wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:24 pm I tbink in domestic elements there used to be a thermal trip built into the mounting flange, thats probably died dur yo heat? :lol:

Just consider yourself lucky that you don't have 300kws worth of heating elements to worry about, when they go bang it can get interesting.
I can imagine they are not pleasant when they fail. This was bad enough, glowing like an electric heater and smoking like a bonfire!

I had a look at the flange and don't see an obvious trip, but I just don't trust the damn thing, even if I replaced the element. Off to the tip and a new one in it's place.
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:18 pm It wasn't a Whirlpool dishwasher was it? I seem to remember a recall for those a number of years ago.

Of course, Hotpoint washer/dryer machines are now well known for bursting into flames too.
No, it was an Indesit, and a check of model & serial number on their site shows no recall or fire risk notice. TBH it was here when we moved in, I think it's just failed due to old age. We got 6 years out of it and I don't know it's age before that.

As for Hotpoint, well they are owned by Indesit, and it was a Hotpoint fridge freezer that was found to be the source of the Grenfell fire.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

No dishwashers for me this weekend, I have the next 2 days free for retro stuff!! Or sleeping.....

Finally to is going to be the day my Mac Classic gets some love.

It fired up a few months back, but was a bit iffy and erratic, and then after watching the Mac repairathon on Adrians Digital Basement, I pulled it out again, powered on and damn.... Checkerboard pattern on screen and not even a sad Mac!

I recapped the logic board, pretty simple there's only something like 7, and also cleaned up some corrosion, and for now the board looks good, but still get the checkerboard.

So today it's the turn of the analogue board, since it's only giving 4.3v on the 5v rail. I have a box of capacitors ready to be installed, but it does mean one thing, I need to remove the analogue board and that means discharging the CRT, something I've never done before.

It seems like a simple enough process,and I found a great video online which shows the official Apple method, so I'll follow that. Wish me luck!!
derkom

Post by derkom »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:16 am but it does mean one thing, I need to remove the analogue board and that means discharging the CRT, something I've never done before.

It seems like a simple enough process,and I found a great video online which shows the official Apple method, so I'll follow that. Wish me luck!!
I promise you, people's descriptions of the process are far more exciting than the actual process. :lol:

I'd never done it myself before working on an SC1435 that I revived last year (or was that this year? 2020 has cost me my sense of time), and was suitably nervous before doing it the first time, and it ended up being a lot of hype for a non-event. I had even taped my screwdriver to the end of a wooden mixing spoon. :D And, well, it really ended up being just the tiniest little "pip" noise of a spark when I did it. I quickly ditched the spoon and by the time I was done working on the 1435, I was quite comfortable discharging the tube frequently. You'll do fine! :mrgreen:
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

derkom wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:24 am
rubber_jonnie wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:16 am but it does mean one thing, I need to remove the analogue board and that means discharging the CRT, something I've never done before.

I promise you, people's descriptions of the process are far more exciting than the actual process. :lol:

I'd never done it myself before working on an SC1435 that I revived last year (or was that this year? 2020 has cost me my sense of time), and was suitably nervous before doing it the first time, and it ended up being a lot of hype for a non-event. I had even taped my screwdriver to the end of a wooden mixing spoon. :D And, well, it really ended up being just the tiniest little "pip" noise of a spark when I did it. I quickly ditched the spoon and by the time I was done working on the 1435, I was quite comfortable discharging the tube frequently. You'll do fine! :mrgreen:
Well,it was a non-event for me too!!

No 'pip', no spark, nothing. The machine had been powered of for at least a month, and I think it is a model that has a drain resistor anyway, so despite following the process 100%, I was very disappointed!!

Annoyingly the list of caps I'd got online wasn't quite correct, so off to order some correct ones. In addition, the two RIFA capacitors at the bottom of the analog board had also failed and I couldn't see that until I got the board out.

So I get to wait to see if my repairs will do the trick, but every last electrolytic I removed was leaking, and everything stunk to high heaven of that 'fishy' leaking cap smell and had a pool of electrolyte under it.

Better go order those bits!
Tomswork

Post by Tomswork »

@rubber_jonnie

Those rifa caps are evil the smell. Does your monitor have the extra flyback on it ?

Tom

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”