New Falcon a lemon?

Problems with your machine in general.
Gyrussfanx

Re: New Falcon a lemon?

Post by Gyrussfanx »

Fair enough, I just want it to work. I waited a long time watching prices for only two machines be between 3K and 4K before jumping on one at 2.5K. They are very rate to see here. My apologies for misunderstanding what you meant.
troed

Post by troed »

Gyrussfanx wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:36 pm Fair enough, I just want it to work. I waited a long time watching prices for only two machines be between 3K and 4K before jumping on one at 2.5K. They are very rate to see here. My apologies for misunderstanding what you meant.
No worries. Steve's in the UK so there would be some postal charges involved if he were to look at it. I'm not sure who's the best local to you (California) taking a look at it. I'm less worried about floppy than video at the moment, but Falcons are more complicated than the ST range which most of us are much more comfortable fault finding.

I'd suggest gaining the ability to output both RGB and VGA to screens you know can handle the signals. After you get video (if it's still possible) the next step would be to write images to the CF card that you know will boot (someone else on the forum can test the same image on their setup. I have a Falcon with a CF-card myself for example). When all of that is done there's a known base to continue from. This is if you choose yourself to try finding out what issues it has of course.

edit: This is the best video adapter. Out of stock though, but maybe someone has an extra to sell: https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/#0146

A monitor that would take both the RGB and VGA signals is the NEC 1990FXp (others exist - but that one is quite common on eBay. Here's one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEC-MultiSync- ... Swm5NeTu3d - the mount is standard VESA so the lack of a stand is no big issue)

/Troed
Gyrussfanx

Post by Gyrussfanx »

Thanks exxos!
arf

Post by arf »

TOS 4.01 alone doesn’t qualify for "pre-production". My regular bought Falcon (admittedly an early one), from a local office supply dealer in a 300k city in the southwest of Germany … had TOS 4.01.
--
Against signature spam!
Gyrussfanx

Post by Gyrussfanx »

Thanks man, this was another users assessment. I feel like I’m in the middle of a lot of advice and opinion. Lol.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Didn't pre-produnction machines have the grey colours swapped between case and keyboard ?
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
mikro

Post by mikro »

I would also recommend to listen more to people here than your friends.

And yes I agree, paying $2500 for a Falcon in such condition is crazy. I just recently sold one for 800 EUR which had only some bodge wires and visual defects, otherwise working perfectly.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Gyrussfanx wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:20 am Thanks man, this was another users assessment. I feel like I’m in the middle of a lot of advice and opinion. Lol.
edit/removed
troed

Post by troed »

Steve wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:29 am He also purposely just said 'broken floppy' without going into detail of how he swapped the WD chip, which indicates more serious issues within.
I agree with you on the fact that the seller knew that these issues weren't trivial, but as I quoted above he did write explicitly in the description that swapping out the WD chip etc made no difference.

/Troed
Steve

Post by Steve »

troed wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:01 am
Steve wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:29 am He also purposely just said 'broken floppy' without going into detail of how he swapped the WD chip, which indicates more serious issues within.
I agree with you on the fact that the seller knew that these issues weren't trivial, but as I quoted above he did write explicitly in the description that swapping out the WD chip etc made no difference.

/Troed
Yeah my mistake.. looking over the ebay post again it seems he was quite transparent.

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”