My summer project: A colour Stacy

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
Darklord

Re: My summer project: A colour Stacy

Post by Darklord »

derkom wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:41 am I have a feeling that the stock Stacy was operating barely on the edge of stability anyway, so just about anything can perturb that.
When I first installed the Pak 68/3 accelerator board in my STacy, I had a seemingly random multi-bomb (I think it was 11) crash
after it ran so long. Drove me nuts trying to figure out what was wrong with it. I finally realized it wasn't random but occurred
consistently after so many minutes (few years back but I think it was 13...maybe 17 minutes?). It did it every single time. You
could set your watch by it. It was only after I realized that whenever I tried to access a floppy disk that it did the same exact
crash that I (I say I, but it was "we" - had a lot of help from Ralcool, Pakman, and others), figured it out. It was the "poll" from
the drive. Whenever a floppy was directly accessed, or the auto poll from the drive occurred, boom!, lights out.

Ralcool finally came up with a workaround for his 1.44 meg floppy drive upgrade that I was using and fixed it.

Long story short, everything was too much for the STacy's bus - it does seem to be very finicky and sensitive.
Welcome To DarkForce! www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS-Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 1040
derkom

Post by derkom »

Darklord wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:53 pm I finally realized it wasn't random but occurred
consistently after so many minutes (few years back but I think it was 13...maybe 17 minutes?). It did it every single time. You
could set your watch by it.
That's interesting to know, and confirms what I noticed, before swapping out the pullups. The crashes that I saw seemed oddly consistent, but I figured it had to be my imagination, since TOS doesn't really do much in the background. I was tempted to time it anyway, but the crashes went away when I swapped the pullups. Very interesting little tidbit there. Thanks!
derkom

Post by derkom »

Well, the switcher isn't working out too well I'm afraid. I rewired things so the mux is switching E, BR, and BG, which definitely allows an ST to boot two different 68000s, but the Stacy will not boot either the 68000 or the TF536 when both are switched this way. I know the mux is working, because the 68000 will boot if nothing is in the TF's socket, and the TF will boot if nothing is in the 68000's socket. And indeed the 68000 will boot if there's another 68000 in the TF's socket.

So it would appear that even with E, BR, and BG disconnected, the TF536 is doing something to poison the bus. This is interesting, since @8 Bit Dreams reported seeing a post on a1k.org where someone had used E and BGACK switching alone to switch between the 68000 and the TF536. So it seems like there must be some quite different behaviour when this is in an Amiga.

(Although if the problem is the TF poisoning the bus, I'm not really able to explain why the TF won't boot if the 68000 is "switched off".)

@terriblefire, I know this isn't a remotely supported configuration, so I'm not expecting much, but I wonder if you have any thoughts on this.

I'm considering at this point just cutting the traces going to the TF536 one by one and seeing how far I have to go to get a boot. But first I'll hook up the scope and poke around at a few things. Actually first I'll finish doing laundry. :lol:
derkom

Post by derkom »

Something interesting I found last night... With E, BR, BG, and BGACK disconnected on the TF, the 68000 will boot. But the reverse is not true. I haven't had a chance to do any systematic investigation yet. Perhaps today.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Are you taking into account when you cut lines to the TF board it no longer has pull ups on those pins ?
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
czietz

Post by czietz »

Two remarks:

1. I have confirmed with someone who actually owns the respective hardware that the circuit described in c't magazine...
Hilfskraft
68000-Prozessor trotz PAK68/2
Roland Beck
Praxistip, PAK-Erweiterung, Prozessor-Umschaltung für 68000 und 68020
parallel, für Atari ST und Amiga, TOS
c't 7/92 S. 196 (cm)
... really works for switching between PAK and 68000.

2. Surely, you're not just disconnecting BR completly, right? The c't circuit connects the BR input of the disabled CPU to ground to force it to yield the bus.
Atarian Computing

Post by Atarian Computing »

@derkom

In case you want to look at the c't articles, they're here: https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... f=31&t=786

Edit:

Here's the article @czietz mentioned:

Hilfskraft
68000-Prozessor trotz PAK68/2
Roland Beck

Der Einbau eines 68020 in Form einer PAK68/2 bringt zwar einen erheblichen Geschwindigkeitszuwachs, beim Atari aber auch einige Inkompatibilitäten mit sich. Wenn ausgerechnet Ihre Lieblingstextverarbeitung streikt, weil sie nicht 68020-fest ist, bleibt Ihnen nur der Griff zum hier beschriebenen Umschalter - mit dem Sie die PAK lahmlegen und den alten 68000 wiederbeleben können.

Um einen 680x0 vom Bus zu entkoppeln, reicht es im Prinzip aus, dessen Bus-Request-Anschluß (/BR) auf Masse zu legen und das Enable-Signal (E) in die Luft zu hängen. Zwar fährt der Rechner dann immerhin schon mit der PAK und einem eingesteckten 68000 hoch, doch bei DMA-Zugriffen geht einiges daneben. Die Ursache ist beim Bus-Grant-Ausgang (/BG) zu suchen. Mit diesem Signal zeigt der Prozessor an, daß er baldmöglichst den Bus an einen sogenannten Bus-Master abgeben kann. Der 68000-Prozessor liefert im Atari leider ständig ein Bus-Grant-Signal, weil sein Bus-Request-Eingang dauernd auf Masse liegt, was die DMA-Zugriffe empfindlich stört.

Prozessor lahmgelegt
Abhilfe ist nur möglich, wenn man alle drei beteiligten Signale umschaltet: /BG, /BR und E. Dies ist mit IC1, einem TTL-Multiplexer, realisiert. Ein weiterer Kunstgriff ist notwendig, um die Strobes freizuschalten, wenn nach einem Reset der Bus-Request-Eingang auf Masse liegt. Anders als beim 68000 werden dann die PAK-Signale /AS, /LDS, /UDS und /VMA nicht hochohmig. Dieses Problem läßt sich aber leicht lösen: Das GAL 20_13 ist für die problematischen Ausgänge zuständig und besitzt einen Freigabe-Anschluß (/OE). Die vier Leitungen lassen sich mit Hilfe eines ODER-Gatters (IC2 der Zusatzschaltung) in den hochohmigen Zustand versetzen.

Jetzt wird´s eng
Damit sich der alte 68000 im aufgebohrten Rechner wieder heimisch fühlt, müssen Sie einen 64poligen Sockel auf die PAK auflöten - dort, wo auf der Unterseite der Steckverbinder U1 sitzt. Unterbrechen Sie die Pins 11, 13 und 20 sowohl zum aufgelöteten Sockel wie auch zum Steckverbinder auf der Unterseite. Die nun entstandenen neun Anschlüsse finden Sie im Schaltbild mit den Präfixen 68000 (Prozessor im aufgelöteten Sockel), PAK (PAK68/2-Platine) und Board (Steckverbinder auf der Unterseite). Die zwei zusätzlichen ICs befestigen Sie am besten auf der Lötseite der PAK in der Nähe vom 74F86 (U7). An den Pins 7 und 14 von U7 befinden sich Masse und +5 Volt. Zum Freiluftverdrahten eignet sich Fädeldraht oder dünner Kupferlackdraht (0,15 mm) ganz gut, der durch die Bohrungen auf der PAK-Platine zum 68000er-Sockel geführt wird. Pin 13 von U4 (GAL P20_13) müssen Sie aus der Fassung ziehen, um die Verbindung zu Pin 18 vom GAL U5 aufzutrennen.
pic02.jpg
pic02.jpg (28.96 KiB) Viewed 3087 times
Die Umschaltung ist dabei nicht sehr aufwendig. Mit nur fünf Mark sind Sie dabei.

Zu Platzproblemen kann es kommen, wenn Sie für U7 (74F86) einen Sockel spendiert haben und J11 tatsächlich ein Jumper und keine Drahtbrücke ist. Dann sollten Sie statt eines 64poligen Sockels zwei Einfach-Sockelleisten auflöten.

Systemfrage
In einem derart modifizierten Rechner muß natürlich ein Betriebssystem eingesetzt werden, das beide Prozessoren unterstützt. Beim Atari ST besteht die Möglichkeit, im Bereich $FC 0000 (alte STs) TOS 1.42 und im Adreßraum $E0 0000 das neue TOS 2.0x (vornehmlich 2.06 läuft ohne Änderungen) oder 3.0x (nur nach umfangreichen Patches) zu installieren. In den ROMs auf der Hauptplatine läßt sich eine Routine installieren, die das TOS auf der PAK ($E0 0000) anwirft [1].

Am Rande notiert
Die PAK greift durch ihren verkürzten ROM-Zyklus schneller auf die Orginal-ROMs im ST zu als ein 68000. Daher sollten ausschließlich EPROMs mit 170 ns oder weniger zum Einsatz kommen. Auch mit den standardmäßigen 120 ns-RAMs kam es in meinem ST zu unerklärlichen Abstürzen. Mit dem Einsatz von 100 ns schnellen RAMs verschwand dieses Phänomen. Wer auf schnellere ROMs verzichten will, kann übrigens für U6 das GAL P20_15 einsetzen. U12 und die PAK-ROM-Fassungen müssen dann `leer ausgehen´. (cm)
czietz

Post by czietz »

Atarian Computing wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:32 am Here's the article @czietz mentioned:
Well, I didn't want to post it due to copyright reasons. Thank you.

@derkom: If you look at pins 2A,B,Y and 3A,B,Y of the schematic, you can see what I meant: BR of the disabled CPU is grounded.
derkom

Post by derkom »

exxos wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:31 am Are you taking into account when you cut lines to the TF board it no longer has pull ups on those pins ?
czietz wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:56 am 2. Surely, you're not just disconnecting BR completly, right? The c't circuit connects the BR input of the disabled CPU to ground to force it to yield the bus.
Right, sorry, "disconnect" is really the wrong term. I'm using a 74HCT157D quad 2-input mux, wired like this:

Screenshot 2020-08-01 at 15.15.59.png
Screenshot 2020-08-01 at 15.15.59.png (20.14 KiB) Viewed 3067 times

(1 and 2 labels refer to respective CPUs, labels without numbers refer to the motherboard connection.)

Now, I don't claim to be anything resembling an expert on this, but it's my understanding that due to the fact that pins 6 (2|1) and 11 (3|0) are connected to ground, it will cause one of BR1 or BR2 to be grounded, while the other is connected to BR. E and BG switching is a bit simpler, due to the direction of data, but I suppose this setup does just leave the "off" ones floating, which may be an issue.

Edit: I guess the c't circuit also leaves E and BG on the "off" CPU floating. But it occurs to me that since the mux is directional, does "grounding" BG1 or BG2 through it perhaps not actually ground them? I could certainly test by manually grounding the off CPU.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Hmm, just curious - is that the same switching method in the Pak 2 that's used in
the Pak 68/3?

I know I've got a 68000 in the optional position, setup with a toggle switch to the
correct jumper and it works fine, switching back and forth between 68k and '030
mode.

You do have to do a reboot though, something about resetting some things, IIRC
what the docs said...
Welcome To DarkForce! www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS-Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 1040

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”