Turrican II intro music

68030 + SDRAM + IDE

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

theq

Re: Turrican II intro music

Post by theq »

This problem applies to the original version of the game as well.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Ok i tried the TF536 ona. rev 8 Amiga. It has the Test IDE firmware in it and no hard disk attached. I loaded the game from flopyy.

I dont hear anything obviously wrong.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
go0se

Post by go0se »

terriblefire wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:02 pm Ok i tried the TF536 ona. rev 8 Amiga. It has the Test IDE firmware in it and no hard disk attached. I loaded the game from flopyy.

I dont hear anything obviously wrong.
Did you try the space bar "music menu" from the intro screen? The effect is a lot more noticeable when the intro music is selected from there.
FluffyRedLobster

Post by FluffyRedLobster »

Hmm, with some of my floppy versions I did notice it takes longer for a little longer for the music to slow down as it takes longer for the Turrican logo to appear and for the guy to start running about. Did you try the music menu (press space followed by 1 during the intro)? That’s slow from the get go on every floppy version I tried.

Give me an hour or so and I’ll stick the test IDE firmware on mine and give it a go on that firmware.

Edit - what go0se said. :D
TF536 full copper top 030, Amigakit SD adapter, A500 Rev6a, KS3.1, Boobip 2MB w/ Gary Adapter
FluffyRedLobster

Okay, tried all three of the test firmwares from the IDE speed thread with IDE disconnected and they all behave the same for me as far as Turrican 2 music goes (didn't check Damocles).

The ADF I'm using is called "Turrican II (1991)(Rainbow Arts)[cr Defjam](Disk 1 of 2)" (I won't link to it I assume that's not good form, but err... 1st link if you Google it?).

Here's a vid of the menu music (space > 1) - it's a little bit quiet, sorry...

I can remove my boobip memory module in case that is interfering, I sort of ruled it out when others reported the same issue but it's probably worth a go. I really need to fit a switch so I don't have to bride and un-bridge JP2 all the time!
TF536 full copper top 030, Amigakit SD adapter, A500 Rev6a, KS3.1, Boobip 2MB w/ Gary Adapter
GadgetUK164

Post by GadgetUK164 »

I get the same issue here. Tried disabling cache, then MMU - same either way. Maybe its not a problem as such, but the way that game was written? I vaguely remember an issue with the Turrican 1 music and some of the ACA cards from Jens.
My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/GadgetUK164
GadgetUK164

Post by GadgetUK164 »

My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/GadgetUK164
go0se

Post by go0se »

GadgetUK164 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:06 pm Nuf said? http://mantis.whdload.de/view.php?id=2993
But as discussed earlier in the thread the problem doesn't manifest itself on the TF534 or TF330; so would be interesting to understand why some accelerators are affected and not others.

It's unfortunate that the WHDLoad guys jumped on that bug report with the assumption that that the WHDLoad version was at fault seemingly without checking the ADF/floppy version of the game on an accelerated setup first.
FluffyRedLobster

Yeah that’s the same whdload issue I linked earlier in the thread.

I thought it might be that initially but it’s fine on the 534 - and go0se reports it’s fine on the 330 too.

Aaand - the issue is also present when running from floppy which rules out Whdload - although the latest slaves (2+) have definitely made that considerably worse on the 536 (again, still fine on the 534 though).

The only thing I haven’t been able to try is an original floppy although I think theq has and confirmed the same.

It’s a weird one for sure.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

I was able to reproduce it as the youtube video. I put the thing on the LA can can observe this...

1. The game runs entirely from Chip RAM.
2. After initial setup it does not seem to touch the CIA (at least not while playing the music)
3. Even with INT2 emulation brain damaged out and all clock speed switching disabled it has the same behaviour.

If i remember rightly the A500 has an interrupt table at the top of ROM which makes interrupts pretty slow. The CD32 doesnt do this .. it just has AVEC tied low. I'm clutching at straws but thats all i can think of.

Note that a game thats entirely in chip will run a little slower on a TF536 than a stock Amiga due to various bus timing differences. If the game was marginal on working inside a frame this might be why?
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."

Return to “TF536”