Funny coincidence

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Funny coincidence

Post by IngoQ » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:13 pm

Yesterday I had a talk with another retro geek, and he mentioned, that Atari actually had a subsidiary here in Brunswick, where I work.

I was curious and researched a little. Seems like Atari had a development lab here for 2.5 years, until 1990. When I heard the address, I had to laugh out loud... it is Julius-Konegen-Strasse 24.... which is the workplace of my wife ;)

Just called her and told her, she was sitting in a sacred site ;)

In addition, this was only a couple of km aways from Commodore, who had a production facility here in Brunswick... Again sacred site, but a different religion :-P
Ingo :geek:

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

DrF

Re: Funny coincidence

Post by DrF » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:23 pm

IngoQ wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:13 pm
In addition, this was only a couple of km aways from Commodore, who had a production facility here in Brunswick... Again sacred site, but a different religion :-P
That made me laugh a bit :lol:

Were I am in the UK we had KIXX, CodeMasters, Ocean, US GOLD offices/distribution units few others during the late 80's to mid 90's and a bit later a IBM/Cyrix place. No idea why they all came to be around here.

This could be a interesting topic finding all the old offices and buildings and seeing what once was?

IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:28 pm

DrF wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:23 pm
This could be a interesting topic finding all the old offices and buildings and seeing what once was?
Nice idea :) The company that took over the old facilities of Commodore just recently set up a small Commodore museum there. Still have to pay it a visit :)

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:45 pm

Whenever I pass Unit 1, Station Lane Industrial Estate, Witney I doff my cap to the old headquarters of Memotech.

I also grew up only a few miles from Kempston in Bedfordshire, the home of the Sinclair peripheral maker, "Kempston Microelectronics".
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.

Icky
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by Icky » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:15 pm

stephen_usher wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:45 pm
Whenever I pass Unit 1, Station Lane Industrial Estate, Witney I doff my cap to the old headquarters of Memotech.
I felt the same travelling through Slough on the train with the Atari UK headquarters. The building used to stand out but alas it is no more. It was pulled down a few years ago.

https://goo.gl/images/Te7M3F

stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:17 pm

Icky wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:15 pm
stephen_usher wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:45 pm
I felt the same travelling through Slough on the train with the Atari UK headquarters. The building used to stand out but alas it is no more. It was pulled down a few years ago.

https://goo.gl/images/Te7M3F
That's a *VERY* early 80's classic design style.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.

IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:10 am

Actually not even ugly.... I like it :)

DrF

Post by DrF » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:51 am

I knew I seen something very similar before somewhere...

stmeg.jpg
stmeg.jpg (24.69 KiB) Viewed 384 times

IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:54 am

:thumbup: :goodpost:

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:54 am

DrF wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:51 am
I knew I seen something very similar before somewhere...
How much beer you had :shock: :shock: :lol:
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.