800xl video

Any 8bit repairs, images, cool things, upgrades etc.
PeteW

800xl video

Post by PeteW »

Trying to work out the best way of getting a decent video signal from my 800xl. So far I've tried:

1. RF output - this has vertical lines on the background and a kind of 'zigzag' pattern along the left and right hand edges where the blue screen meets the black border.

2. Composite out via the din connector - Similar to RF but with less noticeable vertical lines and slightly sharper

I'm considering the s-video mods that are all over the internet to help improve things. My one concern with that is I don't really have any s-video TVs or monitors, so I'll still need some additional converter beyond it, even if the picture quality improves.

The other option is one of the RGB boards I've read about, but finding a supplier in the UK seems rather difficult.

Ultimately, I'm wondering if I'm just being too fussy and expect too much from my little 8 bit machine and should live with the slightly poor display?

What do people think? How far should I go?
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 800xl video

Post by exxos »

If your serious , RGB.. I did it to my 2600, its well nice! https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... 110#p25746
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PeteW

Post by PeteW »

That's interesting - was that a UK supplier?
PeteW

Post by PeteW »

I've been looking at the UAV board and appear to have found someone supplying them in the UK:

https://shop.ctrl-alt-rees.com/products ... 7800-8-bit

Anybody had experience of ordering from them as I'm not familiar with them?
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

You might want to have a look at Sophia. Have a look here: https://thebrewingacademy.com/

Bit expensive I know, but definitely looks nice.

There is also VBXL from Lotharek: https://www.lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=54

Again, not the cheapest, but a nice solution for RGB.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PeteW

Post by PeteW »

Thanks @rubber_jonnie yeah I did look at those too. They just seem a bit over the top for what I'm looking for I think. Also adding complexity is the shipping costs involved - especially from the US.

Think I'm either going to do the DIY mods for svideo and see how things look from there, or see what is available under 50 quid from UK based suppliers?
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PeteW wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:23 am Thanks @rubber_jonnie yeah I did look at those too. They just seem a bit over the top for what I'm looking for I think. Also adding complexity is the shipping costs involved - especially from the US.

Think I'm either going to do the DIY mods for svideo and see how things look from there, or see what is available under 50 quid from UK based suppliers?
I did do a mod for S-VIDEO out on my 65XE, and I'm sure there was a similar one for the 800XL. Unfortunately the link is dead, so I need to see if I can find the doc I downloaded. It only cost about £10 for all the parts.
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PeteW

Post by PeteW »

Thanks @rubber_jonnie . So far all I've done is feed a cleaner 5v supply to C51 and remove L5. Made a tiny difference, but not much

I'll do a recap anyway, but wondered if noisy old electrolytics could be making things worse?

If you can find the mods you've had success with, that would be really useful
PeteW

Post by PeteW »

Hi all

So I've done some of the simpler svideo mods and undoubtedly have a sharper picture, however I still had zigzag interference on the blue background of the screen.

I played around and have finally (I think) found the solution:
Using an svideo cable, if I touch an earth wire to the metal outer of the cable plug where it goes into the monitor port of the computer, the interference basically vanishes.

So, my idea is to ground the actual monitor port where it solders to the MB. This will ensure that the cable and the shielding in the cable is grounded in the same way.

I'm not quite sure why this works to be honest. I tried using the ground on pin 2 of the connector in the cable but that was no good, it had to come straight from the ground plane of the motherboard.

Anyone know why the monitor port isn't grounded as standard? I assume I won't hurt anything by permanently grounding it to the MB?
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PeteW wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:41 am Thanks @rubber_jonnie . So far all I've done is feed a cleaner 5v supply to C51 and remove L5. Made a tiny difference, but not much

I'll do a recap anyway, but wondered if noisy old electrolytics could be making things worse?

If you can find the mods you've had success with, that would be really useful
Sorry, but I can't find the link to the mod I used anymore, it seems like it's gone for good. I've got a VBXL on order at the moment, so I'll do a write up when I install it.

Return to “8 BIT CORNER”