Problems with my Atari 1040STf

Problems with your machine in general.
DoG

Re: Problems with my Atari 1040STf

Post by DoG »

Clean the sockets and IC with IPA also when you are there tinkering.
Globox

Post by Globox »

I wanted to check how much ram my Atari detected, so I put a system specs program on a gotek drive, so i could quickly open the program and see what it detected before the system would crash, but connecting a gotek drive seems to have screwed things up again, couldn't get a tos desktop after i've connected the gotek drive, and removing the gotek drive didn't fix that.
So I put my other Atari's MMU chip into this one, and turned it on without a drive connected to the motherboard, and now it's back in the state that it was in before I've connected the gotek drive. (giving me a tos desktop and crashing shortly after that)
I've put that second MMU chip back into the working Atari, and everything seems to be normal, so that other MMU is still fine.

So, connecting a gotek drive to the motherboard seems to have broken the MMU chip...
Maybe this will give someone an idea of whats wrong with the board?
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Is your Gotek set up as S0? That is the only jumper you need.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Globox

Post by Globox »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:39 pm Is your Gotek set up as S0? That is the only jumper you need.
Yes, jumper's on s0
Steve

Post by Steve »

My money is on that MMU socket.
Globox

Post by Globox »

Steve wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:46 pm My money is on that MMU socket.
But that seems so weird, as it was working, and then when I connected the gotek drive, it stopped working.
Didn't touch the mmu socket...
Globox

Post by Globox »

Steve wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:46 pm My money is on that MMU socket.
Allright apparently it is the socket after al, took the chip out, fiddled with the pins on the sockat again, and it worked again for 2 times,
First time I got desktop for a few secs, and then a crash, second time I turned it on again, it was straight to white screen with glitchy bombs, and the few times i've tried turning it off and on again after that, the monitor stayed black and the motherboard makes that high noise again...
Steve

Post by Steve »

Just carefully inspect the pins & also on the bottom of the MCU chip you notice there are little dimples where the curled pin ends? just grab a flat head screw driver and push the curled pin-end back. It will only push back about 1mm, don't go too far. This will give more spring on the chip pins, I often do this to solve these problems. Hope the description makes sense.
Globox

Post by Globox »

Steve wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:23 pm Just carefully inspect the pins & also on the bottom of the MCU chip you notice there are little dimples where the curled pin ends? just grab a flat head screw driver and push the curled pin-end back. It will only push back about 1mm, don't go too far. This will give more spring on the chip pins, I often do this to solve these problems. Hope the description makes sense.
Yeah thats what I did a few times already now...
Now it's really hard to get the machine to boot to the desktop...
Most of the time i just get black screen, with the motherboard making a high beeping sound.
Only got the home screen 2 or 3 times today
Globox

Post by Globox »

I've found that it always boots to tos if I wait an hour in between turning it on, maybe i'll get it to boot 2 times in a row, but then it's back to black screen when I turn it on, until I've left it turned off for a while again.

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”