Problems with my Atari 1040STf

Problems with your machine in general.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Problems with my Atari 1040STf

Post by exxos »

Globox wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:05 pm I've found that it always boots to tos if I wait an hour in between turning it on, maybe i'll get it to boot 2 times in a row, but then it's back to black screen when I turn it on, until I've left it turned off for a while again.
If that happens does it then boot if you press the reset switch ?
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Globox

Post by Globox »

exxos wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:08 pm
Globox wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:05 pm I've found that it always boots to tos if I wait an hour in between turning it on, maybe i'll get it to boot 2 times in a row, but then it's back to black screen when I turn it on, until I've left it turned off for a while again.
Just tried it.
It booted, and I tried resetting as soon as the graphical glitches started appearing.
Resetting the system works and it boots into TOS, but every time I pressed reset, the glitches started to appear faster and faster after the homescreen loaded.
After about 7 resets, TOS booted with graphical glitches right from the start, and then a white crash screen with 2 bombs appeared.
After that, resetting gave me a weird glitchy screen, and when I pressed reset one more time, it just gave me a black screen again and the reset button stopped working from then on.
The noise from the motherboard also came on again when the black screen appeared.

Last time I got it to boot was about 20 minutes before I tried all this.
So 20min seems to be enough time to wait before it can boot again
Globox

Post by Globox »

I'd think only the first time fixing the pins on the mmu socket really helped me
The thing with the gotek probably had nothing to do with my problem, I probably just had to wait a bit longer before trying to boot with the gotek installed...
I'll just wait for a bit now, and try booting with a gotek installed again to confirm that.
If I'm lucky I'll maybe get to see what sysinfo can tell me then.
Globox

Post by Globox »

But this makes me think that there's some part that's not able to discharge properly or something
Globox

Post by Globox »

Globox wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:43 pm I'll just wait for a bit now, and try booting with a gotek installed again to confirm that.
Turned it on with a gotek drive and it went to white screen with 2 bombs right away
So I turned it off, tried booting without gotek again, and got a black screen, probably waited to long for it to be able to boot again.
Globox

Post by Globox »

Globox wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:33 pm
exxos wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:08 pm

It booted, and I tried resetting as soon as the graphical glitches started appearing.
Resetting the system works and it boots into TOS, but every time I pressed reset, the glitches started to appear faster and faster after the homescreen loaded.
After about 7 resets, TOS booted with graphical glitches right from the start, and then a white crash screen with 2 bombs appeared.
After that, resetting gave me a weird glitchy screen, and when I pressed reset one more time, it just gave me a black screen again and the reset button stopped working from then on.
The noise from the motherboard also came on again when the black screen appeared.
So does this resetting thing give you any idea of what the problem could be @exxos?
Like I said, I'd think there's some part that's not able to discharge properly, as waiting a while before turning it on makes it boot again.
(hope that doesn't sound stupid or anything)
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

It may be a bad reset switch, or may simply need the capacitors in the reset circuit changing... But he could literally be anything you would need a depth diagnostics doing.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Globox

Post by Globox »

exxos wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:56 am It may be a bad reset switch, or may simply need the capacitors in the reset circuit changing... But he could literally be anything you would need a depth diagnostics doing.
Oh so a problem in the reset circuit could maybe give me this kind of problem?
Is that circuit used even when I'm not using the reset function then?
Anyways, I'll check that, and any other cap on the board while I'm at it, really hoping this will make me any wiser.

Am I right thinking that a bad cap somewhere could be the problem?
This thing with the machine booting, and then stopping to work until I've waited long enough before it can boot again makes me think that, as I know those can charge/discharge?
Steve

Post by Steve »

@Globox

Just checking, as we're already on page 3 now and I don't see any progress. Have you done any of the MANDATORY FIXES or BASIC TROUBLESHOOTING yet?
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Globox wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:48 pm
But this makes me think that there's some part that's not able to discharge properly or something
Some part or a device that needs to cool down. Maybe try some freeze mist?

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”