STM1 Laser upgrade

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
agranlund

STM1 Laser upgrade

Post by agranlund »

Has anyone had any success with the STM1 optical mouse upgrade from amigastore.eu?
I received mine today (version v2r0) and it's a bit pants really :/

Horizontal movement is super nice and the vertical one is too but only when it works as it should.
If I move the mouse in one direction, stop for a bit, and then move the mouse in the opposite direction the cursor will travel a bit in the previous direction before changing and going the correct way. This only happens on the vertical axis but it's obviously super annoying so this kit is going in the bin - or well, I'll fire off an email first to check if they've tested these things on actual Ataris :lol:

It's a pretty simple board with just an ADNS-9800 and a PIC microcontroller and I must assume they have a bug in the PIC software.
DoG

Re: STM1 Laser upgrade

Post by DoG »

I bought mine directly from Tim Lenke in 2018. I really haven't tested mine that much to be honest. I found myself running the Atari without mouse most of the time.

Perhaps send a mail to Lavago instead of Amigastore?
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

DoG wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:23 pm I bought mine directly from Tim Lenke in 2018. I really haven't tested mine that much to be honest. I found myself running the Atari without mouse most of the time.

Perhaps send a mail to Lavago instead of Amigastore?
Good point! I'll email to Lavago and ask if there are any known issues with this new v2 board.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

exxos wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:37 pm Have a look here https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... .eu#p49158
Oh.. wish I would have read that before buying the one from amigastore.
I'll email Lavago and check if they still have some "Tim Lenke Edition" boards.. Mine pretty much only says "jesusdelatorre.com v2r0" (but the printed instructions that came with the kit are from Levago and has pictures of that v1r0 Tim Lenke Edition board)
HigashiJun

Post by HigashiJun »

Seems that their new batch is rubbish...

Mine (2 for Atari and 2 - different models - for Amiga) have no problems at all.

Only one was RMA'ed, but that one had completely weird movements from the beginning, moving freely even when not touching it.
tomster

Post by tomster »

I left a review on amigastore.eu trying to warn others. Apparently they're selling gear without ever testing it. The pin header layout is messed up (inverted directions) and the sensor's resolution is too high, putting too much load on poor old Atari.
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

tomster wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:17 am I left a review on amigastore.eu trying to warn others. Apparently they're selling gear without ever testing it. The pin header layout is messed up (inverted directions) and the sensor's resolution is too high, putting too much load on poor old Atari.
Yeah I had to swap the Y axis but wasn't sure if I just had an odd revision of the STM1 or if they messed up the header layout.

I agree that it's most likely the resolution being too high and either the PIC or the ST is not able to keep up properly. From what I can tell the older version is 700dpi controlled down to 200dpi while the new one is boasting with 8500dpi..
fenarinarsa

Post by fenarinarsa »

I bought that kit exactly one year ago directly from lavago.de and I'm very satisfied with it, it works perfectly.
geogeo_28

Post by geogeo_28 »

I bought one from amigastore.eu two month ago and the vertical axis was inverted. I had to modify the socket to fix that.
But I feel the mouse is not precise. Does not really follow my motion. :?
Proud owner of:
- Atari STF (US).
- Atari STE (UK).
- Atari Falcon030 (US).
- Amiga 1200 (UK).

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”