TF536 + 68000 relocator and ROM board project.

Other boosters or variants.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: TF536 + 68000 relocator and ROM board project.

Post by exxos »

stephen_usher wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:45 pm Well, it helps a small amount as the circumferance of the wires I'm using is still far greater than the width of a track and the routing is far more direct too. The resistance certainly is far lower.
DC resistance lower yes, AC resistance no. Larger dia wire gives higher eddy currents which basically increases the inductance.. Increased dia only helps when your using hollow copper tubing or something. You could solder on 1cm thick copper bus bars and it wouldn't help. You can really go down the rabbit hole with it all.. just easier to stick to ground planes and just not have to think about it full stop :)
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

It looks like PCBWay have built the 4 layer boards and they should be out for dispatch later today, probably arriving in the middle of next week.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

The 4 layer boards should arrive tomorrow, so I've been scavenging parts from the old boards.

Let's hope the new boards solve all the problems (and, indeed, work!).
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

OK. A spanner in the works. DHL usually phone to ask for duty payment as it's in transit. This time they didn't and just held delivery.

It's taken me about half an hour trying to find how to pay them, searching the DHL web site fruitlessly. I had to Google in the end and found the right place on the second page of searches. They don't make it easy.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

I know what you mean. Think it was fedex who can't pay online, have to ring them up.. takes over a hour to do a 30 second task :roll:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Out for delivery! *bites nails* Will the PCB work?
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

The new boards have just arrived and they buzz out OK.

I should have time after work to build one up. Then the proof will be in the pudding.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Bother! Doesn't work for some reason. It looks to be something to do with the ROM decode area.

If I have PIN 1 of the GAL connected then A17 is dead weird.

Oops! I forgot to solder the Vcc pin on the GAL!
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

That was it! D-oh!

Power and ground are almost flat now, so that's good.

As usual I've a bit of dodgy surface mount soldering.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

OK, it's fixed the low performing 68000, so it was obviously the Power/GND noise which was causing the CPU to miss clock cycles.
IMG_2106.jpg
IMG_2106.jpg (70.89 KiB) Viewed 2276 times

Return to “EVERYTHING ELSE”