DiagROM works fine with TF536 in A2000, but no boot with kickstart, not even to early startup control

68030 + SDRAM + IDE

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

DX93

DiagROM works fine with TF536 in A2000, but no boot with kickstart, not even to early startup control

Post by DX93 »

I got myself a TF536 a few weeks ago, and had it working well in my A2000, but today I've hit a strange issue. This morning I fitted a (verified working) A2320 and found that the system did not boot. The same is the case both with and without the A2320 installed now, with all zorro cards uninstalled.

With Kickstart 3.1.4 rom installed, I get the TF536 bootup bars, then a black screen. With 2.04, I get the bootup bars then a grey screen, which flickers briefly after about a second. In either case it is impossible to enter the early startup control menu.

With TF536 removed and 68000 reinstated, boots as normal.

I also tested with and without a CF adapter connected, which had no effect.

DiagROM however works correctly, and on running a few tests there were no issues. I did notice that DiagROM does not report any fastram as present. But it gave me the same result before this issue came up, while the fastram showed up and seemed to work fine in Workbench.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be wrong?
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: DiagROM works fine with TF536 in A2000, but no boot with kickstart, not even to early startup control

Post by terriblefire »

First.. are you on the A2000 firmware?

Then In DiagROM...

1. have the CIA tests passed
2. do the IRQ tests passed
3. Do graphics tests pass.
4. does a slow memory test pass for the range 0x40000000 - 0x44000000
5. If you type ABCDEF into the memory editor at address 0x40000000 and hit R does it persist?#
6. following on from above if you hit R several times does the pattern stay the same.

If 1-4 pass its more than likely that you have RAM issues.

EDIT: The above is the process I use so....
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
DX93

Re: DiagROM works fine with TF536 in A2000, but no boot with kickstart, not even to early startup control

Post by DX93 »

terriblefire wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:36 am First.. are you on the A2000 firmware?

Then In DiagROM...

1. have the CIA tests passed
2. do the IRQ tests passed
3. Do graphics tests pass.
4. does a slow memory test pass for the range 0x40000000 - 0x44000000
5. If you type ABCDEF into the memory editor at address 0x40000000 and hit R does it persist?#
6. following on from above if you hit R several times does the pattern stay the same.

If 1-4 pass its more than likely that you have RAM issues.

EDIT: The above is the process I use so....
Hello,

I bought the board just the end of last month from mrgo0se_1984 on eBay, and assumed it would come pre-loaded with the A2000-ready firmware version. Until today I didn't have any issues with it in my A2000, at least.

All the tests passed except for NTSC timings in the newer CIA tests (but those failed for me before), including the memory tests. After completing all the tests I decided to try out booting the system with kickstart again.

Here something strange has happened. It is now booting again (although I feel as though it takes a bit longer than usual to reach early startup control), but now the IDE is not working. Two different CF cards both aren't working with it; they aren't booted from, don't appear in early startup control, and neither does HDSetup detect them. (The cards are tested working with my PC.)
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

I'm pretty sure @go0se will help you as he is a regular here.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
go0se

Post by go0se »

mrgo0se_1984 ?!?!? ... wouldn't trust that cowboy to wire a plug let alone build an accelerator, I suspect he doesn't know one end of a soldering iron from the other! :lol:

@DX93 I will send out another card for you to try early this week. If that doesn't work with your setup then you can return the whole sorry mess to me for a full refund, no worries.

Cheers.

Go0se.
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

go0se wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:33 pm mrgo0se_1984 ?!?!? ... wouldn't trust that cowboy to wire a plug let alone build an accelerator, I suspect he doesn't know one end of a soldering iron from the other! :lol:

@DX93 I will send out another card for you to try early this week. If that doesn't work with your setup then you can return the whole sorry mess to me for a full refund, no worries.

Cheers.

Go0se.
And that's how that's done! :dualthumbup:
DX93

Post by DX93 »

go0se wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:33 pm mrgo0se_1984 ?!?!? ... wouldn't trust that cowboy to wire a plug let alone build an accelerator, I suspect he doesn't know one end of a soldering iron from the other! :lol:

Cheers.

Go0se.
Cheers, will PM shortly! :D

Return to “TF536”