TF536 + 68000 relocator and ROM board project.

Other boosters or variants.
agranlund

Re: TF536 + 68000 relocator and ROM board project.

Post by agranlund »

stephen_usher wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:14 pm Under PAK/3 3.06 and 2.06 it was definitely quite a lot faster for the VDI stuff. (All with MAPROM run so that the ROM image was in Fast-RAM)

From what I remember, the last time I tried EmuTOS 1.0 that was faster too, but I may be mis-remembering.
Yeah seems like you're right. I misunderstood your post and thought you were expecting to see NVDI style numbers.

I get similar results as you in EmuTOS with 349% display stat.
TOS2.06 gives me 579% with blitter disabled and 685% with it enabled.

The difference comes from maprom.prg giving Atari TOS a bit of an unfair advantage. Besides mapping ROM to fastram it also maps a chunk of the lower ST-RAM to fastram if running under Atari TOS meaning it wont be slowed down accessing its internal variables.
With this feature disabled Atari TOS VDI is about the same speed as EmuTOS VDI in the gembench test.

Building EmuTOS yourself and giving it a static fastram address speeds it up to about the same or faster than Atari TOS due to it being able to have most of its variables in fastram too that way.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

That's a point, I forgot to use my rebuilt maprom with ST-RAM acceleration turned off.

On the DMA front, out of interest I put the (2.2K) pull-ups on the DMA data lines and interestingly some display glitches when running the cracker's demo loader with the 68030 went away. However, the music playback in Carrier Command is now constantly crackly, but only on the TF and not the 68000.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

The pull-ups made things worse over all. Far more corruption.
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

stephen_usher wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:37 pm On the DMA front, out of interest I put the (2.2K) pull-ups on the DMA data lines
10K.

2.2K (or 4.7K) on CPU bus.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I'll have to order some then. :-)
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

stephen_usher wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:37 pm That's a point, I forgot to use my rebuilt maprom with ST-RAM acceleration turned off.
I would give that a try just to rule out if perhaps that part of maprom is causing you DMA issues.

I've been running my machine with the TOS RAM acceleration turned on since back when I had the TF534 but then again, my machine very rarely has a DMA device plugged in so I wouldn't blindly trust that it works as it should :)
I'm generally a bit paranoid about software anyway.. having a dayjob troubleshooting/fixing mine and other peoples code for many years probably has that impact on you :lol:
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I wasn't even using maprom at the time, just booting clean and it was screwing up.

Last night I removed the mod on the DMA chip, fixed the UltraSATAN partition again (using dosfstools under MiNT on the TT) and replaced the Goex with an Epson SMD-380 so I could use a floppy with HDDriver 10 on it. The system started behaving properly again.

This morning before I went into work I checked the machine again, booting into EmuTOS. The first time after switching on, PANIC: Exception 14 but after a reset it was fine and everything seemed to be working properly, so I started Gembench on a loop. By the time I got back, so as to work the rest of the day at home, it had gone through 88 loops without error.

Anyway, I think I'm going to order a whole load of 2.2K and 10K matrix resistors and replace all the pull-ups on the main circuit board. I was trying to leave the machine as close to stock as possible hence the reluctance to change them. I think I'll also solder my board onto the main board and get rid of that horrid turned pin socket. They never give very good connectivity when using pins. This will lower the board by about 5mm. I've been leaving this as really I want to get the SMD 68030 board soldered onto the TF536 first, then the TF536 soldered onto my board before soldering it onto the motherboard so as to reduce the height by the maximum amount, but the sockets are too unreliable.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

You have to do all the mandatory fixes even before considering adding any additional hardware.. The fixes are all there for a reason.. Though it doesn't mean they will "cure all". They cure all well known faults.. Though again its why I gave up and developed a new motherboard as mostly bad grounding and additional faults were just rolling in faster than I could solve them all. New hardware should be developed on a H4/H5. Once its all proven working *then* look to getting stuff working on a original machine (if you enjoy pain that is) .
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Mandatory fixes are now in place and I think I've found the DMA issue... the UtraSATAN is dragging the DMA bus down to 2.4V, whether switched on or not.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

I don't know how its designed now. But I think originally it used zeners to clamp the bus to 3.3v rather that doing it properly with bus transevers. So I'm really not surprised of that malfunction. You would have to take US apart and see what its doing.

Return to “EVERYTHING ELSE”