Maplin for sale?

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
DrF

Maplin for sale?

Post by DrF » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:14 pm

Maplins the place you go when something blows up on a Sunday and nowhere else is open or you cant wait 3 weeks from China is up for sale?

I wonder why... could have something to do with all the tat they sell and the every shrinking electronics section anyhow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43121649

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Maplin for sale?

Post by exxos » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:10 pm

I'm not surprised really..

I used to use Maplin a hell of a lot in the past.. There was such a huge mess of credit notes as stuff was always out of stock or discontinued ,where I probably got enough money in the system somewhere to own majority shares in Maplin :lol:

I mostly went to CPC after that. but by the time they got the new catalogues out all their thousands of new products were all out of stock or discontinued.

When Farnell brought them out it got worse, I think they just lumped their discontinued stock onto cpc catalogue.. So basically when out of stock by the time the catalogue went into print.. Again.. :roll:

Maplin just become more of the general electronics outlet like Currys etc, and CPC seem to have gone down too much the same route so I can't really see them survive much longer either. Also Farnell have been in trouble a lot lately and I think it was AVNET who brought them out not long ago. Farnell used to have a lot of new stuff and reasonable price, but AVNET are more bulk suppliers you're just not interested in small orders it seems :roll: I've mostly given up using Farnell now as I'm just to that of stuff showing as in stock and five seconds later out of stock's months.. Plus they do not seem to have anything worthwhile buying any more, at least for me. It is just terrible, plus their website continuously gets worse and I just cannot stand using it anymore.

So pretty much these days I am using mouser in the USA.. Prices do not really seem to bad and they do have a really good range of items and generally do have a lot of stuff in stock, and best of all the website actually works!
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

DrF

Post by DrF » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:17 pm

Well looks like its over that fell fast after the first bit of news

"Maplin collapses as rescue talks fail"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43223175

Toys R Us went this morning too I got kids presents at 80% off still a shame and they was still giving out vouchers for other Toys R Us stores :lol:

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:02 pm

DrF wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:17 pm
"Maplin collapses as rescue talks fail"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43223175
Annoys me BBC & others blame brexit for everything.. any chance they can they bash it out :evil:

I think its more realistic , like others, physical shops are suffering with the rise of ebay & other online shops which can run cheaper. Maplin on ebay as well, with all the fees with ebay, can't be helping maplin profits.

I stopped using MPS like 15 years ago, wasn't any good for electronics parts anymore, they moved to more electronic equipment instead. CPC done exactly the same, seem to be moving to more general items and stuffing the electronics parts stuff. So be interesting to see how long CPC last now...
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

Icky
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by Icky » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:55 am

Just popped into my local Maplin and its in a sorry state. Empty shelves and they are dismantling the back where all the components are.

However there are a lot of offers to be had with most things that are left at 60% off. Just picked up a cheap solder station.

They are also selling of shop fittings such as the shelf box drawers including the components inside for £25 each - marked as pot luck.

DrF

Post by DrF » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:32 pm

Icky wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:55 am
Just popped into my local Maplin and its in a sorry state. Empty shelves and they are dismantling the back where all the components are.

However there are a lot of offers to be had with most things that are left at 60% off. Just picked up a cheap solder station.

They are also selling of shop fittings such as the shelf box drawers including the components inside for £25 each - marked as pot luck.
That sounds like worth having a quick run to one :)
There soldering stations are actually ok, had 1 for years, that was on sale too. Wouldn't pay full price in there its usually way too high which is prob part the reason there going.

Toys R Us was just as bad the other week tried selling me the basket the stuff was in because they had no bags or that was some evil plan to sell me a basket and just tell me there was no bags :lol:

Icky
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by Icky » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:24 pm

DrF wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:32 pm
That sounds like worth having a quick run to one :)
There soldering stations are actually ok, had 1 for years, that was on sale too. Wouldn't pay full price in there its usually way too high which is prob part the reason there going.

Toys R Us was just as bad the other week tried selling me the basket the stuff was in because they had no bags or that was some evil plan to sell me a basket and just tell me there was no bags :lol:
Definitely worth a look - E.g. Philips Hue lights bulbs going for £20 where as they are £49 normally.

rubber_jonnie

Post by rubber_jonnie » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:34 pm

I have a Maplin temperature controlled soldering iron, and it has been very reliable over the years.

Also got a 120W universal laptop PSU the other day, 60% off. Was £45 and I got it for £18. It's a good PSU and includes a USB charge socket too.
Collector of old Atari things:
800XL + Ape Warp mod, 2x 1010 cassette, 1050 + Happy mod, 65XE (128k) & XC12, SIO2SD, 2600jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Atari 520ST (1Meg) + Gotek, 1040STFM + Vortex ATOnce + Gotek, 1040STF long button floppy, 4160 STE with Gotek and ROM switcher, 4160STE with 32Mhz booster, ROM switcher and CosmosEx, not to mention various bare ST boards for testing including a PAK 68/2 :)
Plus the rest..
Amiga stuff, Mac stuff, Sinclair stuff etc...
www.electronicnothingness.co.uk

DrF

Post by DrF » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:22 pm

See now if they had stuck to these prices which I presume there still making a profit at, we would not be on about their failure today :lol:

Icky
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by Icky » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:40 pm

DrF wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:22 pm
See now if they had stuck to these prices which I presume there still making a profit at, we would not be on about their failure today :lol:
Totally agree. When speaking to the shop assistant he said that the administrators had set the reductions and they were not flexible. As you say they are probably still making a profit and shifting more quantities.