TF536 - Freeze on Disk (write) access?

68030 + SDRAM + IDE

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: TF536 - Freeze on Disk (write) access?

Post by terriblefire »

alenppc wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:39 pm
richx wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:49 pm I've also seen the freezing issue randomly with just reading or booting up, LED on CF adapter stays solid.
That's caused by something else, probably a loose mechanical connection with the socket or CPU overheating/not stable at the frequency.
Yes lets not mix up bugs.
This bug literally occurs only when writing for an extended period.

Does this happen if you put the same hardware setup into WinUAE + CF card as external drive? I'm wondering if this has anything at all do to with the TF card and more to do with the CF card and scsi.device driver interaction? At least lets rule this out.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
go0se

Post by go0se »

terriblefire wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:17 am Does this happen if you put the same hardware setup into WinUAE + CF card as external drive? I'm wondering if this has anything at all do to with the TF card and more to do with the CF card and scsi.device driver interaction? At least lets rule this out.

Is it valid to try this test in UAE with the SD/CF card mounted in a usb reader rather than the same SD/CF adapter being used in the Amiga?

Ideally I would use the same IDE adapter but unfortunately I currently don't have any facility to mount 44pin 2.0mm pitch IDE anywhere other than on Amigas.

*EDIT* I also tried the tests with successively lower values of maxtransfer. The original was set to 0X1FE00, I lowered it to 0XFE00, 0x8000 0x4000 and finally 0xFF but still got lock-up during the compression tests. I still have some values to try but ran out of time.

*EDIT 2*
Blocks size was 1024 in each case and the file system was FFS. SCSI.device was 45.35 0s3.9 with BB2. I intend to install BB3 and BB4 which will update SCSI.device to 43.45 when I get a chance.
Lynxman

Post by Lynxman »

I tried copying TimeGal from a CDROM to the Sdcard on TF536 with my A2000 and it locked up.

I have transferred huge game collections to the cards with WinUAE without issue.PRobably twenty times. Have used 512 and 4096 block size. I have WinUAE set up similarly to my Amiga but there will be differences that can't be made up.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Lynxman wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:59 am I tried copying TimeGal from a CDROM to the Sdcard on TF536 with my A2000 and it locked up.

I have transferred huge game collections to the cards with WinUAE without issue.PRobably twenty times. Have used 512 and 4096 block size. I have WinUAE set up similarly to my Amiga but there will be differences that can't be made up.
Ah i missed this bit. I've never tested and dont really support 2 drive setups on any TF card.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

No issues with WinUAE, I also use PFS and not FFS, and I do all the copying from the card to the same card. I disabled the parched scsi.device - you can download my card image if you like.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Yes if you have a CDROM on the IDE chain with a CF card you are asking for trouble... is that whats being done?
———
Lynxman

Post by Lynxman »

No that's just me with my latest post and Amiga 2000. :) MY other post was just the one SD CArd and Amiga 500+. I just wanted to see if it hanged when copying across disks as well.

For what it's worth; I tried with the TF534 just now. Copied TimeGal (500+ MB) from the CDROM to the SDcard and it didn't crash like with the TF536.
go0se

Post by go0se »

alenppc wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:09 pm No issues with WinUAE, I also use PFS and not FFS, and I do all the copying from the card to the same card. I disabled the parched scsi.device - you can download my card image if you like.
I ran the maxtransfer tests suggested previously by TF on a FFS image as it is the image that I normally use and was under the impression that PFS ignores the maxtransfer value? Happy to be schooled on that point though if someone can clarify.

The FFS OS3.9 image was also built on UAE and all WHDLoad games added without issue. I've fired up an instance of UAE again and am currently running the compression on that UAE mounted FFS image with as close to the A500 setup I have with the 536 here to see if it falls over.

Alen: I ran the tests on your PFS image earlier in last week but get the same issues as with the FFS image when running the same tests so not sure it is file system specific.
supaduper

Post by supaduper »

Hi Goose, regarding your question on Max transfer values when using PFS I`m certain that Toni Willen said that it really does not matter what value you put in the setting as his PFS3 will technically overide it and automatically select its own max transfer values
richx

Post by richx »

alenppc wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:39 pm
richx wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:49 pm I've also seen the freezing issue randomly with just reading or booting up, LED on CF adapter stays solid.
That's caused by something else, probably a loose mechanical connection with the socket or CPU overheating/not stable at the frequency. This bug literally occurs only when writing for an extended period.
Might be something else, but happened with different CPUs, and only while accessing IDE, CPUs that did my intensive povray tests (https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... 717#p46717) without errors. For example, once it froze when povray was reading the scene files before it started rendering.

Return to “TF536”