Dropping sales concerns

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
exxos
Site Admin

Re: Dropping sales concerns

Post by exxos » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:19 pm

Atarian Computing wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:16 pm
And once you have that 199Ghz 68SEC000 booster for sale things will pick up I'm sure.
I know people are waiting on the next booster...
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

DrF

Post by DrF » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:01 pm

School holidays, sunny weather, bank holidays, christmas all create a drop in my sales I noticed.
That last long weekend we had that started on the Friday till the bank holiday Monday was killer around beginning of April.

Oddly my garden stuff has a huge spike in October/November cant keep up then it dead till around February.

Steve

Post by Steve » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:41 am

I think you'd be doing well with a few more 'special' projects in store. Like you said you mostly focus on maintenance hardware, which is good to produce a steady baseline sales. For instance a lot of people want bus speeders for their Falcons. You could recreate the Phantom and the special Phantom clock patch very easily and simply. Cheap to produce and very profitable to sell. And that is just one idea.

Petari

Post by Petari » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:23 am

Usually early Summer is not best for computer related sales. Of course there are other factors too. Maybe there is some saturation of this market area ?
I see pretty low activity on Atari forums too.
And something what worries me most: I see some global economic crysis can be in early stage - there are clear signs of it. Inflation was never so big since Euro is introduced. Instead plans about North American - European economic union now we have opposite - new taxes, import restrictions .. Just because some are too greedy, too narrow minded. At the end, we all pay price.
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

IngoQ

Post by IngoQ » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:03 am

Today it's cold and rainy, and I just ordered a UBE switch... so weather IS a factor :-P
Ingo :geek:

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

exxos
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:48 am

Steve wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:41 am
I think you'd be doing well with a few more 'special' projects in store. Like you said you mostly focus on maintenance hardware, which is good to produce a steady baseline sales. For instance a lot of people want bus speeders for their Falcons. You could recreate the Phantom and the special Phantom clock patch very easily and simply. Cheap to produce and very profitable to sell. And that is just one idea.
Possible, though there are a lot of projects I could do, but just don't have time for.

I believe Tuxie already did such a board anyway. The market is to small to have 2 people producing the same thing, plus not really good idea to re-invent the same thing either. My main work is STFM & STE machines, I never actually wanted to move to STE.. it doubles my workload for every kit, like boosters.. I would like to do some Falcon speeders, but I simply don't have time.

Petari wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:23 am
Usually early Summer is not best for computer related sales. Of course there are other factors too. Maybe there is some saturation of this market area ?
"easy" things like ROM, many people sell those.. cheap and quick to do, and people can buy wherever they like, but I also depend on those items to fund my work, booster take years to develop for example, So I need such items to fund my work. Lots of people just sell ROMs for profit only, they don't really support platform like I do.

I guess same with guys making PSU replacements, good someone support hardware and create new things, but market is to small for multiple people to do same thing. I think that is one reason why my PSU sales dropped very quickly. Sure others may be cheaper, and always attractive, but my costs are lot higher due to the amount of items I develop and produce. So such drop in sales, no matter how small, really harms my funding.

As everyone know, multiple prototypes costs lots of money, to get things right so people have best possible product. My store pays those costs, though I fear if my store can't fund, then final price will have to be increase in product price, something not welcome of course, but if produce price 2x or 3x higher, then likely less will buy. So cascade failure there :lol:
Petari wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:23 am
I see pretty low activity on Atari forums too.
And something what worries me most: I see some global economic crysis can be in early stage - there are clear signs of it. Inflation was never so big since Euro is introduced. Instead plans about North American - European economic union now we have opposite - new taxes, import restrictions .. Just because some are too greedy, too narrow minded. At the end, we all pay price.
Yeah, We only really just recovering here from last recession. Of course again a factor I need to pay close attention to. I always spend more on Atari items than profits from my store, so I have to really stop doing that in case of economic crash. My own person funds always bouncing on zero each month.

My store "worth" is about £27,000 currently. Of course profit margins very low, but that is simply the stock worth in my store. Does not include all the parts that I can make more kits with etc.. Then parts for prototypes, equipment, all somewhat 50 Atari machines etc etc. So I can guess I easily have £50,000 invested in all this stuff. So when sales start to drop, I take it very seriously.

IngoQ wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:03 am
Today it's cold and rainy, and I just ordered a UBE switch... so weather IS a factor :-P
:thumbup: :cheers:
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

Petari

Post by Petari » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:41 am

I added link to https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ on my entry page.
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

exxos
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:42 pm

Petari wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:41 am
I added link to https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ on my entry page.
:thanksyellow:

DrF

Post by DrF » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:04 pm

I've seen Atari mentioned 2 times in the last 24 hours in totally unrelated things, and saw 1 t shirt. Strange :lol:

Atarian Computing

Post by Atarian Computing » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:19 pm

exxos wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:48 am
My store "worth" is about £27,000 currently. Of course profit margins very low, but that is simply the stock worth in my store. Does not include all the parts that I can make more kits with etc.. Then parts for prototypes, equipment, all somewhat 50 Atari machines etc etc. So I can guess I easily have £50,000 invested in all this stuff. So when sales start to drop, I take it very seriously.
Oh wow, didn't realize you were that hardcore. I'll see what I can do to help. Summer is my quiet time when I renovate and stuff.