TT issues. Help welcome...

Problems with your machine in general.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: TT issues. Help welcome...

Post by exxos »

Does the floppy drive spin when it is accessed ?

Do the heads move when trying to access the floppy ?

You may have to remove the cover off a drive to see.

Also could be possible you have a bad floppy cable on your TT...
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
rpineau

Post by rpineau »

This seem to be pointing towards the 74ls06.
Once you can answer exxos questions we might have a better idea.
Rodolphe
Working ones : MegaSTE (68020) / TT030 / Falcon with AB040 & Eclipse / 1040STF
Need testing : Falcon with CT2
Anzac

Post by Anzac »

the drive lights up on boot and when trying to access the drive.

i will remove covers and see how the parts move. maybe even make a vídeo and upload to YT.

replaced the TT floppy cable with the MSTE and no difference.
____________________________________________________________________________________
Atari 2600 Jr - Atari Mega ST - Atari Mega STe - Atari TT - Atari Falcon - SH205 - Megafile 20
rpineau

Post by rpineau »

The floppy drive led is driven by the D0SEL signals from a 74LS31, so it doesn't involves the DMA, 1772 or 74LS06.
This signals comes from the YM2149 I/O port IOA1 (pin 20).
So we really need to see if it turns and move the head to seek the Track0 sensor.
Rodolphe
Working ones : MegaSTE (68020) / TT030 / Falcon with AB040 & Eclipse / 1040STF
Need testing : Falcon with CT2
Anzac

Post by Anzac »

ok, a few developments.

i figured if i was going to make any headway, i would need a control machine.
so i sourced an Atari-VGA monochrome cable and fired up the MSTE.

the Epson SMD-380 that was on the MSTE is working but is 720k, not 1.44mb... so my MSTE is a 720k version.
i don´t know how i was so sure it was a 1.44mb drive, i could even swear i had read info on the web about it, but sometimes the web information available is generic to the epson series SMD-"300" which includes both DD and HD drives.

anyway, so the 720k floppy works on the MSTE with both the MSTE FDD IC and the TT IC.

i ended up switching back the MSTE IC because i wasn´t sure it was HD compatible with the TT.

the TT with it´s HD IC does not read or format 720k floppies.

the sony MFP-920 floppies also do not work on the MSTE, but maybe the system just does not accept HD drives, even with the TT FDD IC. i vaguely remember that some other modifications might be needed. so those are still in unknown condition. the TT HD FDD drive wasn´t tried on the MSTE because it´s just a bunch of parts for now while it´s being cleaned.

due to temporary misplacement of IC removal tool, i ended up removing and inserting the FDD ICs several times with less than optimal tools (flat screwdriver and/or thin blade) which led to several pins being bent :oops:

so i don´t think i should be removing those again unless it´s to replace them!

so, limited to ST-HIGH on the MSTE, armed with a new set of 720k floppies (10€, 10 discs), i removed the HDD from the TT, connnected it to the MSTE and proceeded to spend some time passing software from the PC to the MSTE, floppy by floppy. no problems besides being limited to 720k.

have a NetUSBee and was looking at the installation steps, but a link to a needed STX file was not working and seeing that i would need a specific PC with a static IP address and my network is a mess right now, i stopped it until had more time to spend.

i went to the site:
http://atari.8bitchip.info/fromhd.php

got a list of my favourite games:
DUNGEON MASTER
ELITE
FRONTIER
CIVILIZATION
CANNON FODDER
RAINBOW ISLANDS
NEW ZEALAND STORY

and then put the HDD back on the TT, tried to run several of the games, but no luck. they all bombed out (2 bombs).
i only spent a few minutes, so i might be missing something. for example, DM with with start option bombs, with another runs and opens until i try to select the first warrior.

i have also received some 1MB 30 pin SIMMs, so i´ll be able to test the TT RAM board.

again thank you for all the help!

Make
Atari
Great
Again

(credit to Urban on this)
____________________________________________________________________________________
Atari 2600 Jr - Atari Mega ST - Atari Mega STe - Atari TT - Atari Falcon - SH205 - Megafile 20
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Two bombs might just be software compatibility issues..

You should format the hard drive with HD 10 first and let it do all the sector tests.

Then you can try this software which does read write tests, this was designed to detect DMA issues or hard drive issues.

https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... ?f=25&t=43
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
Anzac

Post by Anzac »

yes, the Quantum HDD with 5 partitions was driving me crazy, so i wiped everything and created just two partitions:

C:\ with ~13MB
D:\ with ~39MB

games are installed on D:\GAMES\

i will remove everything but the HDDriver, so no CPX or APP running to avoid conflicts.

i didn´t do the all sector test and honestly the thought of having to start all over again is :roll:

but in the end, you gotta do what you gotta do..

i should have somewhere a PCI SCSI adapter and maybe i´ll be able to test the drive on a PC using my fav program (HDDREG)
Anzac

Post by Anzac »

exxos wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:05 pm Then you can try this software which does read write tests, this was designed to detect DMA issues or hard drive issues.

https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... ?f=25&t=43
i read this thread in the meantime. interesting. another jewel from Jookie.. :)

has this been tested in a TT/MSTE? i could report results.

i still have another Quantum HDD from that external third party HDD enclosure. i could run the tests there. though, on the TT, i would need a *working* FDD! :evil:
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Anzac wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:17 pm has this been tested in a TT/MSTE? i could report results.
I honestly can't remember if anyone tested it on either of those machines. I wouldn't have thought it wouldn't be an issue though as the program is very simple.
Anzac

Post by Anzac »

exxos wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:58 pm
Anzac wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:17 pm has this been tested in a TT/MSTE? i could report results.
I honestly can't remember if anyone tested it on either of those machines. I wouldn't have thought it wouldn't be an issue though as the program is very simple.
I´ll try it on the second Quantum HDD and report back.

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”