Adapted games: what makes them incompatible at >16 MHz?

News,announcements,programming,fixes,game patches & discussions.

Moderator: troed

mikro

Re: Adapted games: what makes them incompatible at >16 MHz?

Post by mikro » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:04 pm

Good idea. Will grab a few and give them a try.

mikro

Post by mikro » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:35 pm

Thanks for forcing me to not give up! I downloaded a few titles and some of them really work.

Crazy Cars I, II, III - unfortunately, out of scan range and bye bye for all three of them
Chase HQ II - some corrupted graphics in the beginning but then works amazingly smoothly, 60 FPS
Duck Tales - yes, that worked too ;)
F1 GP - intro doesn't work but the game itself does. Surprisingly, even on 50 MHz it's not shockingly fast, max 18 FPS I would say
Hard Drivin II - super smooth, 60 FPS
Lotus II - super smooth, 60 FPS
Race Drivin - nope
Test Drive - quite all right although not super smooth
Test Drive II - terribly slow, something is really wrong with this game
Turbo Outrun - nope
(and as mentioned, Lotus III - nope)

The best feeling I had from Lotus II, great playability, speed, smoothness and very few rounding errors (what is quite common in other games - everything is super smooth so you can see how the rounding jumps when zooming sprites).

What an irony. Centek installed the turbo TOS 4.x as an emergency option (no fast ram, who would use that, right?) and now it serves me perfectly for trying out old games (which of course hate TT RAM of any sorts).

Petari
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by Petari » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:48 pm

There is in some cases special screen displaying code used, to achieve more than 16 colors on ST(E) at once. That works not on Falcon, TT, of course - will get some mess normally. Stays for F1 GP intro too.
Speed gain depends from many factors. In some cases code self limits framerate - what prevents flickering and tear. And that it becomes unplayable fast.

I don't know did I mention: should try Lotus 3 with caches off - M, off as instructed, Enter . On regular Falcon it crashes with cache on after shorter drive.
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

mikro

Post by mikro » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:52 am

Petari wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:48 pm
I don't know did I mention: should try Lotus 3 with caches off - M, off as instructed, Enter . On regular Falcon it crashes with cache on after shorter drive.
... aaand I must thank you again! This and booting to ST-Low has definitely helped! Now I can enjoy crazy 60 FPS ride in Lotus III as well!

(I always assumed that the default config is the best one so I didn't look to the advanced menu for this, now I know)

BlankVector

Post by BlankVector » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:01 pm

Another interesting game is Saint Dragon. It can take advantage of more CPU speed (higher FPS). This can easily be verified with Steem. I have no idea if it can run on 68030, though.
Subscribe to my Vretrocomputing channel on YouTube and Facebook. Latest video: Save and restore the video mode in assembly language on Atari ST.

Return to “SOFTWARE PROGRAMMING & DISCUSSION”