Hello from the USA

New user? Tell us about yourself!
PaulJ

Hello from the USA

Post by PaulJ »

Good morning folks, my name is Paul Jacobs and I live in the USA, Rhode Island to be exact. I’m a recently retired firmware engineer who’s career spans the USAF, Raytheon (Twice), Microware, and Motorola. I was CEO and janitor for Metron Inc a company I started to support the on going maintenance and improvements for Streamaster a VDSL based STB developed at Motorola during my tenure there. I spent a lot of time in Canberra Australia, Basel Switzerland, Lerici Italy and some time in France, Germany, Spain, England, China, and Hong Kong I have recently retired

Many years ago I had an Atari 520 which I enjoyed building to a maximum capability for the time. Unfortunately at the time I moved on to PC’s and windoze which I have come to regret. At the time I liquidated all my hardware and software which I now see as a big mistake. Now I am working on rebuilding my stable of Atari machines and software. Todate I have managed `to obtain an Mega STE, two Mega 4’s, and a number of STF, one of which I have maxed out using Chris enhancements. I’m not much of a gamer but like development of tools and hardware for Motorola based hardware. Anyone know where I can obtain a copy Mark Williams C?

One of my goals for retirement is becoming proficient at making PC boards. My best efforts to date are 30 years ago when I made double sided boards via photo sensitized boards. For the day they were pretty good but by todays standards they are crap.

I have just purchased Chris’s new Atari ST board and will be playing catch up on its construction. I look forward to working with the people building the board.

Regards
Paul
Atarian Computing

Re: Hello from the USA

Post by Atarian Computing »

PaulJ wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:29 pm Good morning folks, my name is Paul Jacobs and I live in the USA, Rhode Island to be exact. I’m a recently retired firmware engineer who’s career spans the USAF, Raytheon (Twice), Microware, and Motorola. I was CEO and janitor for Metron Inc a company I started to support the on going maintenance and improvements for Streamaster a VDSL based STB developed at Motorola during my tenure there. I spent a lot of time in Canberra Australia, Basel Switzerland, Lerici Italy and some time in France, Germany, Spain, England, China, and Hong Kong I have recently retired

Many years ago I had an Atari 520 which I enjoyed building to a maximum capability for the time. Unfortunately at the time I moved on to PC’s and windoze which I have come to regret. At the time I liquidated all my hardware and software which I now see as a big mistake. Now I am working on rebuilding my stable of Atari machines and software. Todate I have managed `to obtain an Mega STE, two Mega 4’s, and a number of STF, one of which I have maxed out using Chris enhancements. I’m not much of a gamer but like development of tools and hardware for Motorola based hardware. Anyone know where I can obtain a copy Mark Williams C?

One of my goals for retirement is becoming proficient at making PC boards. My best efforts to date are 30 years ago when I made double sided boards via photo sensitized boards. For the day they were pretty good but by todays standards they are crap.

I have just purchased Chris’s new Atari ST board and will be playing catch up on its construction. I look forward to working with the people building the board.

Regards
Paul
Welcome! Sound's like you'll fit in just fine.

Josh.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Welcome

And good luck with your STF rebuild... Just finishing mine tonight I hope
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
Smonson

Post by Smonson »

Hi Paul! Coincidentally, I'm based in Canberra myself and was a firmware developer for a year. Welcome to the Exxos community.

There's never been a better time in history to learn how to get PCBs made. With all free tools you can have 10 boards made for less than 35AUD. I would be happy to help anytime 😁
arf

Post by arf »

PaulJ wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:29 pm Good morning folks, my name is Paul Jacobs and I live in the USA, Rhode Island to be exact.
Welcome to the crowd!
--
Against signature spam!
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

I appreciate the warm welcome and the link to MWC, I have been looking for it for some time. I've been ordering parts for a couple day and stripping mostly connectors off a spare board. I'll be playing catch up but I'll be able to take advantage of fixes other find while I'm getting all the parts together.

Smonson, I had a great time in Canberra, people are very friendly there. They had a great bike path that circled the lake which I spent some time on. What layout program would you recommend? Eagle used to be a good choice from what I'm told but now thats its changed hands they want a yearly maintenance fee which I would like to avoid.

Thanks All
Smonson

Post by Smonson »

PaulJ wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:14 pm What layout program would you recommend? Eagle used to be a good choice from what I'm told but now thats its changed hands they want a yearly maintenance fee which I would like to avoid.
Eagle seems to be the best choice in terms of quality and features (I believe that's what Exxos uses), but I use only Kicad, because it's open-source. It's somewhat supported by CERN, and it is very capable of everything important that you need to do (an example of what it's not very good for: drawing logos).

People say it has a weird user interface, but it's similar to other CAD programs I've used in the past.
Atarian Computing

Post by Atarian Computing »

KiCad is my EDA of choice after trying the other options.

Return to “INTRODUCE YOURSELF”