Was there any other with complete GUI OS in ROM ?

News,announcements,programming,fixes,game patches & discussions.

Moderator: Petari

Petari
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Was there any other with complete GUI OS in ROM ?

Post by Petari » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:51 am

Atari ST and followers came with complete (since later 1985) GUI (so with windows, icons, mouse, menus) OS in ROM . Up to Falcon. ROM size changed from 192 KB to 512 KB . That left most of RAM for user SW free.
I'm asking myself, and of course others here: was there any other with same solution ? Time period would be 1984-1994 . Apple Macintosh used to load parts of OS from floppy in RAM by need, and similar was with Amiga - loading Workbench . I really don't know other popular 16-32 machine from that time except Archimedes. Ah, the PC - it loads OS from disk, of course, from very start. Years after 1994-5 are not interesting, since OS-es became much more complex and long, so no way to supply them in ROMs.
Today: OS may be again in some kind of ROM - SSD, but writeable ' little ' faster without EPROM programmer :D - just as interesting notice.
So, if someone knows some - but pls. no machines with only Basic, without GUI .
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

rubber_jonnie

Re: Was there any other with complete GUI OS in ROM ?

Post by rubber_jonnie » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:21 am

Very good question, I know that the Macs I own need to boot from HDD, and the QL I have doesn't have a GUI in ROM either, although the OS is in ROM.

Amigas, yeah OS load is either from floppy or HDD, and being a contemporary of the ST,it's the closest I can think of.

Will have a think and see if I can remember anything else.
Collector of old Atari things:
800XL + Ape Warp mod, 2x 1010 cassette, 1050 + Happy mod, 65XE (128k) & XC12, SIO2SD, 2600jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Atari 520ST (1Meg) + Gotek, 1040STFM + Vortex ATOnce + Gotek, 1040STF long button floppy, 4160 STE with Gotek and ROM switcher, 4160STE with 32Mhz booster, ROM switcher and CosmosEx, not to mention various bare ST boards for testing including a PAK 68/2 :)
Plus the rest..
Amiga stuff, Mac stuff, Sinclair stuff etc...
www.electronicnothingness.co.uk

atari030

Post by atari030 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:02 am

Diamond GOS :D

Technically full OS in ROM.

stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:28 am

rubber_jonnie wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:21 am
Very good question, I know that the Macs I own need to boot from HDD, and the QL I have doesn't have a GUI in ROM either, although the OS is in ROM.

Amigas, yeah OS load is either from floppy or HDD, and being a contemporary of the ST,it's the closest I can think of.

Will have a think and see if I can remember anything else.
Didn't the Acorn Archemedies have the GUI in ROM?
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.

rubber_jonnie

Post by rubber_jonnie » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:54 am

Honestly, I don't know the Archimedes that well, I thought it was installed on disk,but I could be wrong.
Collector of old Atari things:
800XL + Ape Warp mod, 2x 1010 cassette, 1050 + Happy mod, 65XE (128k) & XC12, SIO2SD, 2600jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Atari 520ST (1Meg) + Gotek, 1040STFM + Vortex ATOnce + Gotek, 1040STF long button floppy, 4160 STE with Gotek and ROM switcher, 4160STE with 32Mhz booster, ROM switcher and CosmosEx, not to mention various bare ST boards for testing including a PAK 68/2 :)
Plus the rest..
Amiga stuff, Mac stuff, Sinclair stuff etc...
www.electronicnothingness.co.uk

DrF

Post by DrF » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:48 pm

There was versions of DOS in ROM but no GUI :(

When I worked at a data entry place we had these custom terminal things made by I think a company called ROCK and they had a GEM like thing in rom running they was from the late 80's, monochrome screens, nasty keyboards, tape drives and British made :lol:

I know that some Research Machines PCs had a add on thing with a mini like OS, RM Nimbus 186 and 486, but I have no idea what it was called and knowing RM was probably some custom thing anyhow.

What ever happened to those PC motherboards with a mini Linux in a rom with word processor, browser, basic apps for a quick start up and go? These were quite modern only a few years ago.

Found this while diggin, says it runs on all sorts of old hardware and microcontrollers so I guess roms,disks,sd cards etc? :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contiki

Petari
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by Petari » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:51 pm

According to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RISC_OS
Archimedes had GUI . And pretty large ROM capacities - in range of few MBytes .
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.